Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Feb 11, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,441 of 3,608
Is there anything that could compare to this in a lower price range. I currently use my a40 mix amp. I'm willing to upgrade, but I was wondering if there was anything comparable to this but less expensive.

Sound Blaster G5

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #1,444 of 3,608
Has anyone other than @earfonia tried rolling the op-amps? Since I have so much money tied up in headphones now, I kinda want to see if switch in the op-amp can give me a slightly different sound, as I can't justify buying a dedicated headphone amp at the moment. 

I know another poster was asking about this as well. 

Follow-up: If anyone has any op-amps for the X7 they want to move, PM me. 

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,446 of 3,608
It seems that every review I've read references the X7's use on PC; however I bought my X7 for console use only (PS4). I finally got mine in last Thursday, and I spent the whole weekend tweaking it and trying different settings. Here's my set up and take on it:

Set up: PS4; X7 standard (LE is useless for me as I only use headphones); BT-W2 Dongle; Sennheiser HD558 and HD650 headsets; Antlion Modmic; and AudioQuest opti-link Forest optical cable (X7 does not come with one)

I strictly game with headphones only and have used Astros for the last 3 years, plus throw in some Trittons, Turtle Beach DSS1, DSS2, and Sony Pulse Elites in the mix as well. I have always loved my Astro MixAmps (current one I use is the 2015 version) and have used several headsets with them- including the Sennheiser PC360, HD558, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (personal favorite), M50s, and of course the Astro headsets. 

My first experience with the X7 was with Destiny. It took me a while to realize that my mouth was still open in awe when I flew into the tower and heard sounds I've never heard before! I have over 2500 hours in the game with my Astros and it felt like I was playing a whole new game. The immersion factor absolutely blew my MixAmp away. I was using the default setting at the time. 

Up next was setting up the mic with the BT dongle. No problems there and my friends could hear me just fine; however, hearing them is a different story. If I have the volume up for my game, I can barely hear them. Not sure what I'm missing here so any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's a simple oversight on my part and the best way for me to handle it is to turn down the in-game volume. Unfortunately, turning down the game volume defeats the purpose of buying a $400 retail price amp... 

I then decided to try the amp with BO3 (ultimate test for me)...

I have to admit- it took a lot of time trying to figure out any kind of setting that would make the game sound even half-way decent. The 'First Person Shooter' setting was absolute garbage and a true disappointment for me. I heard of ton of 'echoing' from my guns and there was no depth to any of the ambient sounds (explosions sound like crumpling paper and voices sound like chipmunks). I would have been ok sacrificing ambient sound for greater positional cues- but even with this setting, positional cues where nowhere close to what my MixAmp produces. I ended up back to the 'Default' setting and created an 'Equalizer' profile for BO3. It's MUCH better, as far as balancing ambient sound and positional cues (which, again, are still not even close to my MixAmp). I'm still new to the X7 and have more settings to try... So for now, the MixAmp still reigns supreme for competitive play- IMHO. 

Finally, I threw on my HD650s and kicked back with some great tunes. I'm not qualified to give a review regarding the audiophile aspects of the amp- but will just say I absolutely love listening to music with it! Obviously- the HD650's blow my HD558's out of the water for music, but I actually prefer my HD558's for gaming. I know- crazy!

Overall, at this point I can honestly say I'm just glad I didn't pay full price for this thing! It's a @#$% good amp for music and immersive sounds; however, it definitely falls short for competitive play compared to the MixAmp for console gaming. I'll certainly give it some more time and return to this thread to update my review. If you're buying this for CoD (or another FPS game)- stick with the Astro MixAm and a quality set of cans! 

TL;DR- SoundBlaster X7 for immersive sound and music/movies; Astro MixAmp for competitive sound and ease of game/voice mixing

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,447 of 3,608
^More or less agreed. Dolby Headphone positional cues >>>> SBX. Not even close. One could talk all day about how SBX sounds more refined and less processed, which ultimately doeant matter when Dolby Headphone can accurately pinpoint sounds much, much more easily.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #1,448 of 3,608
Up next was setting up the mic with the BT dongle. No problems there and my friends could hear me just fine; however, hearing them is a different story. If I have the volume up for my game, I can barely hear them. Not sure what I'm missing here so any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's a simple oversight on my part and the best way for me to handle it is to turn down the in-game volume. Unfortunately, turning down the game volume defeats the purpose of buying a $400 retail price amp...   
I then decided to try the amp with BO3 (ultimate test for me)...

I have to admit- it took a lot of time trying to figure out any kind of setting that would make the game sound even half-way decent. The 'First Person Shooter' setting was absolute garbage and a true disappointment for me. I heard of ton of 'echoing' from my guns and there was no depth to any of the ambient sounds (explosions sound like crumpling paper and voices sound like chipmunks). I would have been ok sacrificing ambient sound for greater positional cues- but even with this setting, positional cues where nowhere close to what my MixAmp produces. I ended up back to the 'Default' setting and created an 'Equalizer' profile for BO3. It's MUCH better, as far as balancing ambient sound and positional cues (which, again, are still not even close to my MixAmp). I'm still new to the X7 and have more settings to try... So for now, the MixAmp still reigns supreme for competitive play- IMHO. 

Game/chat volume can be adjusted in the Mixer tab of the Creative Control Panel. As for the VS, set the Surround to 100% in the Control Panel and turn off Bass and Crystallizer.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #1,450 of 3,608
  Today got sparkoslabs ss3601 opamps and they will fit! Way better sound with these.

http://kuvapilvi.fi/k/yogl.jpg

Can you describe the difference in more detail?

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,453 of 3,608

Game/chat volume can be adjusted in the Mixer tab of the Creative Control Panel. As for the VS, set the Surround to 100% in the Control Panel and turn off Bass and Crystallizer.

Yep- that's what I'm currently using. It's 'ok'- but definitely not as good as my MixAmp. I'm a sweaty try-hard when I play FPS's and if that's as good as it gets, then I guess I'll maintain my disappointment with the X7 for competitive play. But I absolutely love it for other games! GTAV, Fallout 4, Destiny simply sound amazing with the X7, and I can't wait to throw in some PvZ:2 today. I'll stick to my MixAmp for CoD, and the X7 for everything else... 

BTW, yes- I said PvZ:2 (Plants vs Zombies GW2). Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1 is hands-down one of the best online shooters! The game has excellent balance between class weapons/abilities (can be as 'tactical' as you make it), hit-boxes and TTK are on-point, stunning visuals, great map design, great lobby connections, and I could go on... Besides, who could rage when you just got recked by a freaking sunflower plant? lol 

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,454 of 3,608
Interesting Op Amps I measured & decided they wouldn't fit. The tolerance of the one near the edge looked too tight you didn't have to bend anything to get them to fit?

Reading the reviews at the website make them sound like the second coming. If you are primarily using the X7  for listening to music.

http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/reviews/

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,455 of 3,608
Yep- that's what I'm currently using. It's 'ok'- but definitely not as good as my MixAmp. I'm a sweaty try-hard when I play FPS's and if that's as good as it gets, then I guess I'll maintain my disappointment with the X7 for competitive play. But I absolutely love it for other games! GTAV, Fallout 4, Destiny simply sound amazing with the X7, and I can't wait to throw in some PvZ:2 today. I'll stick to my MixAmp for CoD, and the X7 for everything else... 

BTW, yes- I said PvZ:2 (Plants vs Zombies GW2). Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1 is hands-down one of the best online shooters! The game has excellent balance between class weapons/abilities (can be as 'tactical' as you make it), hit-boxes and TTK are on-point, stunning visuals, great map design, great lobby connections, and I could go on... Besides, who could rage when you just got recked by a freaking sunflower plant? lol 

This is disappointing. I'm strictly a try hard. I was saving up for this beast. What year is your mixamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back