Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Oct 2, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #976 of 3,608
Nothing against the X7, but I think you're doing the HD800 a disservice by pairing it with the X7 which can't handle the HD800 impedance spikes. It demands a lot more than the X7's power can provide, FWIH.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #978 of 3,608
Anyone tried the K812 with the X7? I would think with the low impedance this could be a suitable combination. I'm curious cause I just got in on the Massdrop deal.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #979 of 3,608
Yes I know but that's the gear I have for now and I will be gradually getting better gear for hd800.

It's hopeless for consoles as there will be no optical/LO headphone mode. Still it's good enough for gaming as in the HD 800 still being better than other choices. 

If you're on PC only then just sell the thing and use a SBZ -> optical out -> DAC+AMP of your choice.

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #980 of 3,608
Do we know it's not coming?
In that case, I might be selling the X7 sooner than later :frowning2:

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #981 of 3,608
Do we know it's not coming?
In that case, I might be selling the X7 sooner than later
frown.gif

They don't listen and it's been quite a few months already. SBZ cards are out for years by now and they still don't have the LO feature. Well, at least over optical so it's fine (for PCs). Still, why was it cut? 

Maybe the engineers of old left and the new ones never bothered or overall they changed their philosophy? Creative's old designs had tons of flexibiltiy and options. They even had a hardware AC3 decoder in older cards. You could not only connect AC3 outputs to the optical input, no, you could tell the media player to bitstream the AC3 of the movie to the SPDIF out. That's where the decoder took the stream and decoded it for you with no hassle and mixed HRTF in. Sure it's useless nowadays but the important point is how the sound card (driver) allowed to ROUTE streams. So in our case there's no routing of the HEADPHONE mode/output to LO or optical.

They used to do so much more than other sound cards that you'd miss out if you didn't go the Creative way. Now they cut features that were standard for more than a decade. 

Again, it's only a problem if you play on consoles. Yet who in their right mind (if they have the time) would miss out on console gaming? :D

If the BlasterX G5 has optical in I'll sell the X7 and move on. Just gonna be using easier to drive headphones with it. Plenty of good choices anyway.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #982 of 3,608
They don't listen and it's been quite a few months already. SBZ cards are out for years by now and they still don't have the LO feature. Well, at least over optical so it's fine (for PCs). Still, why was it cut? 

Maybe the engineers of old left and the new ones never bothered or overall they changed their philosophy? Creative's old designs had tons of flexibiltiy and options. They even had a hardware AC3 decoder in older cards. You could not only connect AC3 outputs to the optical input, no, you could tell the media player to bitstream the AC3 of the movie to the SPDIF out. That's where the decoder took the stream and decoded it for you with no hassle and mixed HRTF in. Sure it's useless nowadays but the important point is how the sound card (driver) allowed to ROUTE streams. So in our case there's no routing of the HEADPHONE mode/output to LO or optical.

They used to do so much more than other sound cards that you'd miss out if you didn't go the Creative way. Now they cut features that were standard for more than a decade. 

Again, it's only a problem if you play on consoles. Yet who in their right mind (if they have the time) would miss out on console gaming? :D

If the BlasterX G5 has optical in I'll sell the X7 and move on. Just gonna be using easier to drive headphones with it. Plenty of good choices anyway.

Great and informative post. Thank you!
I play much more on my PS4 than PC. Granted, there is less time but games will still have a special place in my heart to find at leaat some time for.
I also agree with everything, I am selling the X7 first thing as soon as there is a device that can send headphone surround from consoles through optical.
The X7 workaround is cumbersome and annoying...
Cheers.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #983 of 3,608
Hello everyone here, have been owning a pair of Fostex TH900 and recently wanted to explore its potential in surround sound gaming.

I've been looking at Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide, an excellent guide which got me pretty excited. After looking through various products and systems it seems the X7 will be a good fit, however there is some question which I want to be absolutely sure about before diving in and buying it.

I game pretty much equally on consoles and on PC, and I intend to connect the systems in the following way:

PC          ------------   USB   ------- |           |
                                                        |    X7    | ---------  X7's own headphone jack  -----------  TH900
/ Xbox One \                                       |           |
|      or        |   -----------  SPDIF  ------  |           |
\     PS4     /

Am I correct in saying that, if I connect the system in the above configuration I would be able to:

1. Have PC output via USB, then enjoy virtual 5.1 SBX surround during PC gaming?

2. Have the consoles output Dolby Digital in SPDIF, then enjoy virtual 5.1 SBX surround during console gaming?

3. In both cases I control the SBX settings via the PC program?

I am particularly concerned about whether I am getting SBX virtual surround processing in both cases, I think I should be right but better make sure.

I have read about the post-SBX signal not being sent out in SPDIF output, however I am not planning to connect to an external DAC/AMP setup. (yet?)

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #984 of 3,608
  1. Have PC output via USB, then enjoy virtual 5.1 SBX surround during PC gaming?

2. Have the consoles output Dolby Digital in SPDIF, then enjoy virtual 5.1 SBX surround during console gaming?

3. In both cases I control the SBX settings via the PC program?

I am particularly concerned about whether I am getting SBX virtual surround processing in both cases, I think I should be right but better make sure.

I have read about the post-SBX signal not being sent out in SPDIF output, however I am not planning to connect to an external DAC/AMP setup. (yet?)

1. Yes, if set to 5.1 in Windows Audio panel
2. Yes
3. Yes, or via the mobile app

You'll be getting virtual surround in both cases

It is possible to send SBX-encoded signal via S/PDIF, however it requires a powered on PC nearby

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #985 of 3,608
I definitely listen to SBX-colored audio via the optical out. But I also have my iMac and X7 running virtually non-stop.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #986 of 3,608

It's hopeless for consoles as there will be no optical/LO headphone mode. Still it's good enough for gaming as in the HD 800 still being better than other choices. 

If you're on PC only then just sell the thing and use a SBZ -> optical out -> DAC+AMP of your choice.

I'm pretty happy with the X7 DAC, I heard it's pretty close to Bifrost.  I do however plan to get an AMP like Aurix down the road.  Probably in a couple of years.  In the meantime, I'm planning to get the OPA827 and slowly get better gear for the phones.  But thank you for your suggestion.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #987 of 3,608
Hmm, my x7 is never connected to a computer, i go to connect it so i can do firmware update and no matter what i do the computer doesn't detect the X7.

tried on a mac laptop and a windows laptop neither detects it. 

and with MLE comment i think i may very well have a faulty Micro USB input, before i go and complain to Creative 
blink.gif

anyone have any thoughts on what i can do or am missing?

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #989 of 3,608
Yup, welcome to the world of Micro USB shenanigans. Makes me wonder why the engineers thought it was a good idea to have such a small, craptastic input on the back of such a big device instead of something that makes sense like USB Type B, which is a lot more sturdy and less prone to have connection issues.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #990 of 3,608
Does the X7 headphone output sound better when set to High Gain or am I going deaf? Anybody else noticed this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back