Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Oct 9, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,006 of 3,608
  So if I do most of my listening sitting at my computer and really only bust the CD player out at the end of the day, would it just be a case of setting the volume and telling it to use the optical input with the control panel before I shut the PC off for the day?

I don't really mind getting up to adjust volume, I have to either manually adjust it on my amp or with my wireless keyboard already.

Unless You're planning on using Direct Mode you just need to turn on the player. X7 automatically outputs all connected inputs at once.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,007 of 3,608
Hello all...

i'm thinking about this for my 5.1 computer setup, but I've read some decently upsetting reviews, such as noise/static from the left speaker.

I'm curious how everyone likes it?

Originally I had a "Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro" which was great, but also had those popping and static noises.

I would like to use it again, but people say it's not worth it anymore, but I would think it's still good...????

I was watching an interesting video that was explaining that sound cards inside a computer case aren't good because the computer produces static and other "electric interference" which your sound card is trying to "get rid of."

There is also the possibility of external sound card, through a nice adapter called "EXP GDP Beast" which connects to a mini-PCIe slot on your laptop, and gives you a PCI-e interface for graphics cards (usually what I see).  It should work any card, and there are also PCIe to PCI adapters as well :)

So I'm curious what people think of this x7 for my use of my 5.1 Logitech Z5300e Computer Speakers?

I could do this all with a sound card as well, but this beast seems to do so much more....  But is it worth it???  So far some reviews aren't very favorable...

Thoughts?  Will also be reading more.. Thanks!

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #1,008 of 3,608
  Hello all...

i'm thinking about this for my 5.1 computer setup, but I've read some decently upsetting reviews, such as noise/static from the left speaker.

I'm curious how everyone likes it?

Originally I had a "Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro" which was great, but also had those popping and static noises.

I would like to use it again, but people say it's not worth it anymore, but I would think it's still good...????

I was watching an interesting video that was explaining that sound cards inside a computer case aren't good because the computer produces static and other "electric interference" which your sound card is trying to "get rid of."

There is also the possibility of external sound card, through a nice adapter called "EXP GDP Beast" which connects to a mini-PCIe slot on your laptop, and gives you a PCI-e interface for graphics cards (usually what I see).  It should work any card, and there are also PCIe to PCI adapters as well :)

So I'm curious what people think of this x7 for my use of my 5.1 Logitech Z5300e Computer Speakers?

I could do this all with a sound card as well, but this beast seems to do so much more....  But is it worth it???  So far some reviews aren't very favorable...

Plugging a PCI-E soundcard via a PCIE adapter is a really overcomplicated version of "buy a USB soundcard and be done with it".

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,009 of 3,608
  So if I do most of my listening sitting at my computer and really only bust the CD player out at the end of the day, would it just be a case of setting the volume and telling it to use the optical input with the control panel before I shut the PC off for the day?

I don't really mind getting up to adjust volume, I have to either manually adjust it on my amp or with my wireless keyboard already.

That will be fine, would actually work well in that situation.

I don't think you'd need to do anything other than hit play on the CD player.

Phone app could be treated as a bonus in this case (change volume from the next room) 

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,010 of 3,608

I'm wrapped with mine. It's perfect for my situation and needs.

The X7, however, doesn't have the 5.1 outputs your speakers require.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,011 of 3,608

I'm wrapped with mine. It's perfect for my situation and needs.

The X7, however, doesn't have the 5.1 outputs your speakers require.

Nice, sounds good.  What do you use yours for?

I was told that it would work great for 5.1 speakers.

I also see this picture

Has a rear and c/sub inputs.  b, t no front, which possibly could go into another port on the front side, or possible (which I saw for another use) is using the volume control with a"headphone" adapter, and plug that into the "right/left" inputs...

But I don't think 5.1 and headphone will work together, even though there is aheadphone on this x7.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,012 of 3,608
If you connect a headphone, speaker output is switched off and vice versa.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,013 of 3,608
If you connect a headphone, speaker output is switched off and vice versa.

So what's up with the rear and c/sub?  They have to exist for 5.1 I would assume...?

There are inputs in the front (both with headphone logos) so not sure if they accept a regular front in or what...?

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,014 of 3,608

So what's up with the rear and c/sub?  They have to exist for 5.1 I would assume...?

There are inputs in the front (both with headphone logos) so not sure if they accept a regular front in or what...?

RCA are front left and right, c/sub is center channel and subwoofer and rear is let and right surround channel. Front only has headphone and microphone outputs/input.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,015 of 3,608
  RCA are front left and right, c/sub is center channel and subwoofer and rear is let and right surround channel. Front only has headphone and microphone outputs/input.

Odd there isn't a front plug slot and is instead RCAs.....  Mine has RCA's into the woofer, and then a pair of 3 cables (green, orange, black) for, center/sub, and rear).

>(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

So how do I use my speakers LOL...  Sounds like a sound card is the only way to utilize them?

Like I mentioned on another thread, there is a "Matrix Mode" which turns 2.1 into 5.1, which is built into my volume control.

There is also "Speaker Fill" in the sound controls on windows.

The other thread was about a DAC I was going to use the headphone plugs on the volume control and connect a 3.5 to RCA into the DAC and then play from there...  I'm assuming  I could do the same here,but I figured the point of buying this was to eliminate that work around... :frowning2:(((((((((((((((((

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,016 of 3,608

Nice, sounds good.  What do you use yours for?

I was told that it would work great for 5.1 speakers.

I also see this picture

Has a rear and c/sub inputs.  b, t no front, which possibly could go into another port on the front side, or possible (which I saw for another use) is using the volume control with a"headphone" adapter, and plug that into the "right/left" inputs...

But I don't think 5.1 and headphone will work together, even though there is aheadphone on this x7.

Ouch, I should have checked before the earlier comment - should work fine with your speakers with the right cables.

Sorry about that (lack of sleep)

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,017 of 3,608

Odd there isn't a front plug slot and is instead RCAs.....  Mine has RCA's into the woofer, and then a pair of 3 cables (green, orange, black) for, center/sub, and rear).

Plug the green one into the RCA out on the back via the RCA>3.5mm adapter included with the X7, plug the orange one into the rear 3.5mm connection and plug the black one into the c/sub 3.5mm connection.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,018 of 3,608

Ouch, I should have checked before the earlier comment - should work fine with your speakers with the right cables.

Sorry about that (lack of sleep)

It's all good man, I pulled a stupid earlier because I didn't eat for a few hours after waking up LOL :frowning2:.

So I'm not sure how I would do this with the 3 colored cables.

This picture will explain my setup

So it has the 5 RCA cables, and then the 3 regular input cables (are they 3.5mm, as I'm not sure what the size is :frowning2: ).

So as you can see the 3 cables go into my sound card, so I'm curious how I would set that up...  Is there a 3.5mm to RCA converter I wonder?

Something like this for the green plug?

Plug the green one into the RCA out on the back via the RCA>3.5mm adapter included with the X7, plug the orange one into the rear 3.5mm connection and plug the black one into the c/sub 3.5mm connection.

Ah, okay, so the plug is like the one I posted above?

Thanks...

Now the question is....  Why would this be better than another DAC/Amp????

As I posted on the other DAC thread, I don't play video games with 5.1 sounds, I just listen to music, and sometimes anime, but I would assume that's stereo.

I would assume the Stereo to Surround is what's important in this?

Logitech's "Matrix Mode" should work in either situation I would assume, whether Stereo or Surround.  I'm not sure if "speaker fill" from the sound menu, or other things would work on a stereo DAC though... Someone said it should but IDK....

I'm looking at the "Aune T1 MK2" DAC as well, which is about half of the price, and is a Tube DAC... However I was looking at some new tubes, so in reality this would only be about a hundred of so more expensive... But still....

Someone above also said that I should get a USB Sound card...

So are the sound cards really not that good?

This card was 300$, so it's sad to see it not be used, especially since it still works...

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,019 of 3,608

Now the question is....  Why would this be better than another DAC/Amp????

As I posted on the other DAC thread, I don't play video games, 

Mostly because it's an all-in-one solution with enormous amount of input/output options

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,020 of 3,608
  Mostly because it's an all-in-one solution with enormous amount of input/output options

I edited more of my other post to give more info FWIW....

Hmmm...  What are the ones on top used for..

2 lefts and 2 rights...?

I'm not sure I really need all of the features, but I want something that's amazing.

Has anyone had issues with the left speaker hissing/noise some reviews on Amazon talk about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back