Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jun 7, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #601 of 3,608
  Whats the chances that we will get a timely released driver for windows 10 support because my PC will be updated to windows 10 the day it comes out and I am concerned that i'll be without my X7 for a while.

Creative told me that the current control panel should be compatible with Windows 10. They also will release another version once Windows 10 available. To be safe, you can bare metal backup your OS before upgrading to Windows 10. And do another backup after Windows 10 upgrade, so you can switch to any OS later.

Hi, is it just me or does the RCA line out of the X7 is kinda cranky?
I'm currently using ps4 ->x7->amp->TH900 and i'm getting unbalance volume in my right and left channel. 
I've tried to reset the analog connections a few times and it doesn't help. 
And as mentioned before, the "SBX Surround" doesn't work and actually caused a slight buzz when I activated them.

The weirdest thing is X7 doesn't have an option to select "Line out", which means every time I wish to use an external amp with the RCA,
I've to remove my EMU speaker cables as X7 consider "Line out" audio = "Speaker" audio. 
mad.gif

I completely agree with Yethal that the "Line out" needs a fix soon. 

For the channel imbalance, did you check the speaker calibration? 

SBX buzzing is strange. If it is severe probably you should send your X7 to Creative for checking.

Yea the Line Out = Speaker could be annoying for certain setup. Hopefully Creative will separate it in the next Sound Blaster.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #602 of 3,608
  Try reversing the polarity of the speakers and disable all enhancements in SBX panel

Tried both, didn't solve the distortion. 

For now, I'm using it with the Direct Mode enabled but I initially got the X7 due to its various enhancements that I plan to use when watching movies or gaming. Guess I'll call Creative tomorrow and report back when I've solved it.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #603 of 3,608
Can I ask if anyone knows how to reinstall the firmware? That's what the technical support suggested as it doesn't sound like I have a hardware problem.

When I tried to run the firmware software, it just says that I'm on the latest firmware, and will not reinstall it.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #604 of 3,608
@Xuan87 have you tried deleting the sound blaster X7 app and the related items in registry? That will ensure a clean re-installation. Helps for my stupid AMD drivers in the past, but i've not had any hiccups with the software/firmware so far.

Everything worked right out of the box (EMU speakers, X7, the desktop and iphone app) for past 3 months for me.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #605 of 3,608

I had similar problem last week, "Restore Default" in the SB X7 control panel seems not restoring the firmware. So you have to reinstall  the default firmware by hard way, i.e,  To keep  power on, push button SBX and holding on, then push the power button and holding on too, untill all indicators flash 5 times, then release all the buttons. The firmware is reinstalled as default.

It works in my case.!           ( This guidance is given by Creative Technical engineer) 

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #606 of 3,608
@xuan87,

I had similar problem last week, "Restore Default" in the SB X7 control panel seems not restoring the firmware. So you have to reinstall  the default firmware by hard way, i.e,  To keep  power on, push button SBX and holding on, then push the power button and holding on too, untill all indicators flash 5 times, then release all the buttons. The firmware is reinstalled as default.

It works in my case.!           ( This guidance is given by Creative Technical engineer) 

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #607 of 3,608
  @xuan87,

@HenryKing

Thanks! This is exactly the info that I need (which you think Creative will have it on their website somewhere.....). I'm going to try it out tonight.

I think this issue only started after I was fooling around with the CrystalVoice and speakerphone function, which wasn't as good as I had hoped for it to be.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #608 of 3,608
Just received the X7 as well as the AKG K712. I was wondering what impedance settings should I be using for the said Headphone. On the box I can see that it has an impedance rating of 62ohms. So technically the default 32/300Ohm should work fine for this.
But I've also head how hard to drive these pair of Headphones are and how they sound better with a powerful amp. That's why I'm confused about which impedance setting to use from X7 control panel. What should I be using; 32/300 or 600ohms?
Also, the 6000hms selector has a warning which says, if I use higher impedance setting it might damage a lower impedance Headphone. Never heard that before. Is it true?

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #609 of 3,608
  Just received the X7 as well as the AKG K712. I was wondering what impedance settings should I be using for the said Headphone. On the box I can see that it has an impedance rating of 62ohms. So technically the default 32/300Ohm should work fine for this.
But I've also head how hard to drive these pair of Headphones are and how they sound better with a powerful amp. That's why I'm confused about which impedance setting to use from X7 control panel. What should I be using; 32/300 or 600ohms?
Also, the 6000hms selector has a warning which says, if I use higher impedance setting it might damage a lower impedance Headphone. Never heard that before. Is it true?

Basically those impedance setting is just low gain and high gain. Don't worry about it, as long as you don't blow your headphone with loud volume, it should be fine to use the 600 ohms setting. Just set it to the setting that sounds best for you. Remember to always start with low volume.

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #610 of 3,608

Hi Mercus,

I use the 600 Ohm setting for my AKG K7XX, so you have no need to worry about using it.

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #612 of 3,608
Basically those impedance setting is just low gain and high gain. Don't worry about it, as long as you don't blow your headphone with loud volume, it should be fine to use the 600 ohms setting. Just set it to the setting that sounds best for you. Remember to always start with low volume.

But earphonia, isn't the "impedance selection" just a gain setting mode? Meaning that it boosts the volume output, but the current (what many refer to when they say a headphone is "power hungry) stays the same?
I use low gain with all my AKGs, works great, and volume is DEFINITELY NOT a problem (on PC I usually have the volume set to 20%).

Are you satisfied with the X7 and the K712 or 7XX. I am thinking of buying a X7 for my K712.

I used my X7 with my Q701, K712 Pro, and K612, all sound great with the X7 and are particularly good with gaming surround processing.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #613 of 3,608
Dear earfonia, dear everybody

thanks for your immense effort with the review of the X7. It helped me a lot with my decision to buy it.

I have a question now. I hooked up a pair of JBL Control One (Impedance switch set to 8 Ohm) to the X7. When using these on the computer there won't be any sound when I set the volume lower than 2 % and even 4 % when in Direct Mode. However that is already quite loud. I can't really get them to play at "regular room noise". Is that normal? Are the JBL speakers just too easy to drive for this amp or is mine broken?

I am asking because I am saving on a pair of Nubert nuBox 313 to connect them to the X7. However when I can't get them to play at neighbourfriendly volumes, it won't be worth it.

PS: Thanks to your guys link I ordered the 24V 6A PSU from Aliexpress. I will post back here when I got it. :)

I can help with this but it won't work in direct mode due to the nature of the mode.

I do this for my Kef's.

You will get some warmth but I doubt you'll notice with speakers (using headphones its there but its very subtle).

Go to "Speakers" & hit the "Calibration", use the dB level to adjust down the volume.

Or run them on 4ohms

Hope it helps.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #615 of 3,608
But earphonia, isn't the "impedance selection" just a gain setting mode? Meaning that it boosts the volume output, but the current (what many refer to when they say a headphone is "power hungry) stays the same?

Yes! You're right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back