Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jan 14, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,221 of 3,608

Thanks for clearing that up, the detail on the bass on the RP-160M is pretty decent, the dynamics on such sensitive speakers is pretty spectacular. I will upgrade the power supply in a few months and look forward to the improved clarity.

I have several of Matthew Inmans books: i'm particularly fond of " the terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances"  I also have a few framed prints of his around my house.

If the price of the original upgraded PSU is too steep (Creative sells it for 120$ which is kinda ridiculous) You can buy any other power supply that runs at 24V 6A and has a 2.1mm power plug.

I have "How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you" book. The poster that came with it is one of my most prized possessions.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,222 of 3,608

If the price of the original upgraded PSU is too steep (Creative sells it for 120$ which is kinda ridiculous) You can buy any other power supply that runs at 24V 6A and has a 2.1mm power plug.

I have "How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you" book. The poster that came with it is one of my most prized possessions.

As I understand it, the Power supply of Class D amps has to be made to pretty exacting standards regarding ripple and voltage regulation. Isn't using a generic power supply with only a loose adherence to the specifications required by the amplifier taking chances on increased noise and distortion?

I have that book too, and a few others he has made over the years. All of which are hilarious. Another internet comic artist XKCD published a "what if" book - if you're into empirical science, it is a hilarious book.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #2,223 of 3,608
  What are your impressions on the 160M overall? I have a pair on the way, my first pair of bookshelf speakers. I'll be using my THG30 JVC receiver to the X7 via optical, though, as I have a 5.1 system and can use it as a 2.1 with the Klipsch.

Thank you for your review, I wouldn't be surprised if such was your profession!
You helped sway me, I was contemplating buying the JDS Element thinking it may be a better solid state and dac overall, but reviews of the X7 seem to suggest that it is great for it's price range. Add the 4 new op-amps, and even better!
Dealing with Andrew was an absolute delight, and I will be running all my headphones, tube amp, and speakers through this device so it seemed more logical than a whole new system.
Also, for the cover issue were you worried about dust? I can't recall the section, but I plan on using a light fabric and adhesive to cover.

No I am not really concerned with dust. The op amps are on the bottom of the unit, so dust would need to go up into the area with the op amps. Gravity should keep it fairly clean, lol. When you dust your house, the underside of surfaces is usually clean.

If you are a gamer and movie watcher, the X7 is really hard to beat. Sure there are other options, but none that I feel do what the X7 does. It excels at what it does, and could very well be an end game product for a lot of people. Even if I did upgrade, the X7 will always have a purpose in my house. I could easily move it to another room and use it. Right now it is the main cog, and isn't going anywhere. 

I am a tweeker, so playing around with different options is just what I do. I am VERY tempted to try a Schiit Mimby. R2R, and does a lot of the things I need. It would work with the X7, and I am curious how it would sound. Someone is going to do that soon, so I am waiting on the review of that member first. I don't need it, I am truly really happy with my setup as it is. But curiosity is a mofo, and I am sure I'll cave at some point. I am going to a meet in a few weeks, and I am going to have the ability to hear some REALLY good gear. I am terrified that an upgrade may come from going, but how else am I going to hear 20-30 different setups?   

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #2,224 of 3,608
Incidentally my impressions on the Creative X7 with the Klipsch RP-160M:

They are big: 424mm (16") tall, 327mm (12") deep 224mm (8") wide and heavy: 9kg(19.9 lb) . they have very solid build quality, the cherry finish looks superb. The RP-160M speakers have very good imaging and can play very loud on surprisingly little power, they have a maximum 100w continuous power rating which makes them more or less future proof for future amp upgrades. The magnetic grilles are fantastic, I hate exposed mount holes in speaker cabinets. The built in plinth which angles the speakers upwards can be reversed or removed entirely to suit your listening position.

The horn/waveguide looks like the response from the tweeter is going to kill you when used for near-field listening - it won't, the waveguide spreads the sound out isotropically and this drastically improves imaging. I have heard speakers with ribbon tweeters and I found vertical imaging to be good...horizontal imaging, not so good, in the speaker designs I have dealt with the ribbons are rather anisotropic in their dispersion of sound. Off axis performance with a ribbon tweeter is often disappointing.

When paired with the Creative X7 [and the stock power supply] the Klipsch RP160M perform superbly, their high efficiency makes the most of the of the X7. I did switch out the stock op-amps with the OPA827 to refine and enhance the mids, which are a bit of a weak point on the klipsch [1500hz crossover] and also the changed op-amp helped tame the tweeters which could become overbearing in certain musical passages. Bass on a 6.5" driver is as you'd expect: excellent. Theses speakers do everything well, especially movies. The sound of shattering glass is scintillating,Dialogue is very clear, music vocals are also well projected, bass is tactile and detailed.  FYI all my impressions are from listening through direct mode, no DSP. There is a difference in sound between optical and USB - for some reason USB has more bass, however the mids seem to have more detail through optical.

I'd buy them again If my house burned down.

I'm waiting for repairs to be completed on my computer desk - it originally had a marble top , which sadly cracked badly when I moved house. I'm getting the top replaced with solid Australian jarrah wood, so photos of my PC set up will appear once my desk has been refitted. i'm also getting an upper shelf on my desk for books, blu-rays and of course the speakers.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #2,225 of 3,608
As I understand it, the Power supply of Class D amps has to be made to pretty exacting standards regarding ripple and voltage regulation. Isn't using a generic power supply with only a loose adherence to the specifications required by the amplifier taking chances on increased noise and distortion?

I have that book too, and a few others he has made over the years. All of which are hilarious. Another internet comic artist XKCD published a "what if" book - if you're into empirical science, it is a hilarious book.

Frankly I have no idea, but there were some people in this thread who used a third party PSU and the X7 did not explode. I'd have to dig through this thread to find the posts but if 120$ is a ni go for a power brick this might be worth investigating.

I know XKCD, it's one of my favourites.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #2,227 of 3,608
there were some people in this thread who used a third party PSU and the X7 did not explode. 

Pretty sure this is the one I bought 18 months ago - still going strong with no issues.

$AU30

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-100V-240V-Converter-Adapter-DC-24V-6A-144W-Power-Supply-Charger-DC-5-5mm-LED-/351328618945?hash=item51ccd149c1&_uhb=1

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,228 of 3,608

Pretty sure this is the one I bought 18 months ago - still going strong with no issues.

$AU30

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-100V-240V-Converter-Adapter-DC-24V-6A-144W-Power-Supply-Charger-DC-5-5mm-LED-/351328618945?hash=item51ccd149c1&_uhb=1

Damn for $22 how could you not try it? Does it take long to arrive from China? 

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,230 of 3,608
  Can't remember, sorry - was quite a while ago.

Well thanks for the link. I don't need it as I have the LE, but it is really good to have the link as a few have been inquiring about it recently. It would be really nice to have the first page updated with all relevant info to the X7. Wish I had a post there to do just that. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #2,231 of 3,608
Upgrading the X7

Has anybody found a plug-and-play 24V min 3A regulated linear (non-switched) Power supply that could work well with X7?

As for OpAmps, has anybody run Burson 5i vs Sparkos SS3602 vs Sonic Imagey Labs 994Enh-Ticha?

I'm currently getting rid of my old (too big, cumbersome, dual-mono) headphone gear due to moving and have to use X7 for a while as my main rig, but it is lacking. I thought that a bit of an upgrade could bring it up a notch or two.

Has anybody tried upgrading the power-supply (not just buying the SoundBlaster LE PSU, which is imho, very noisy)?

For whatever reason, I can't seem to find linear PSUs (well done) that go too much past 15V at 3A.

All the decent 24V/3A or more powerful PSUs I find are all either boards or switched-mode like this PeakTech 6225 (max 30V/5A):
http://www.peaktech.de/productdetail/kategorie/neuheiten/produkt/peaktech-6225.html

Sbooster talks about a 24V PSU unit (BOTW P&P ECO 24V) in their line up, but I can't seem to be able to find it anywhere: https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco/

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,232 of 3,608
Dude, what are you running and what do you want that the power brick is going to matter other than specs?

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,233 of 3,608
If you find the X7 lacking, others have reported that the Sparkos op amp swap has brought full range improvement and is fairly noticeable. I personally can't confirm this since I haven't reviewed the Sparkos, but I can't recall any negative reviews thus far. I also believe Yethal has reviewed the Burson and done a comparison vs the Sparkos but I could be mistaken.

I would recommend doing the op amp swap before you look at power supplies, I run speakers so I'm happy with the upgraded power supply but I've never compared them to stock. I agree that the clean convenience of the X7 is its strong point, and the Sparkos should bump it up a notch. If you do the total swap, please report back and share your impressions

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,234 of 3,608
  Upgrading the X7

Has anybody found a plug-and-play 24V min 3A regulated linear (non-switched) Power supply that could work well with X7?

As for OpAmps, has anybody run Burson 5i vs Sparkos SS3602 vs Sonic Imagey Labs 994Enh-Ticha?

I'm currently getting rid of my old (too big, cumbersome, dual-mono) headphone gear due to moving and have to use X7 for a while as my main rig, but it is lacking. I thought that a bit of an upgrade could bring it up a notch or two.

Has anybody tried upgrading the power-supply (not just buying the SoundBlaster LE PSU, which is imho, very noisy)?

For whatever reason, I can't seem to find linear PSUs (well done) that go too much past 15V at 3A.

All the decent 24V/3A or more powerful PSUs I find are all either boards or switched-mode like this PeakTech 6225 (max 30V/5A):
http://www.peaktech.de/productdetail/kategorie/neuheiten/produkt/peaktech-6225.html

Sbooster talks about a 24V PSU unit (BOTW P&P ECO 24V) in their line up, but I can't seem to be able to find it anywhere: https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco/

hi,

i just plugged my sparko opamps in and they are a tight fit. the Sonic Imagey Labs 994Enh-Ticha would not fit in the case, the foot print of them is too wide and will knock into each other as well as the side of the case. i dont have the busons.

the sparko's plastic legs are not removable so the duals mean the cover will not fit over it and the feet on the x7 means the top of the opamps just kiss the surface you put them on (dont put the x7 on a metal tray!) i am putting the schiit magni rubber feet on the bottom of my x7 to give the opamps enough clearance.

people say the bursons are warmer sounding than the sparko's.

from my first power up i can say there is a noticable difference to my muses02 and ad797. i need to listen more but i can detect more resolution (details are more noticeable)

the 797 were good but better with the stock duals than the muses, i found the muses introduce a distortion like sound (almost impossible to notice but slightly present)

these sparkos are clear and clean. i prefer them so far

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #2,235 of 3,608
hi,

i just plugged my sparko opamps in and they are a tight fit. the Sonic Imagey Labs 994Enh-Ticha would not fit in the case, the foot print of them is too wide and will knock into each other as well as the side of the case. i dont have the busons.

the sparko's plastic legs are not removable so the duals mean the cover will not fit over it and the feet on the x7 means the top of the opamps just kiss the surface you put them on (dont put the x7 on a metal tray!) i am putting the schiit magni rubber feet on the bottom of my x7 to give the opamps enough clearance.

people say the bursons are warmer sounding than the sparko's.

from my first power up i can say there is a noticable difference to my muses02 and ad797. i need to listen more but i can detect more resolution (details are more noticeable)

the 797 were good but better with the stock duals than the muses, i found the muses introduce a distortion like sound (almost impossible to notice but slightly present)

these sparkos are clear and clean. i prefer them so far

Do you think the Sparkos are worth the price they cost? And do you by chance have any other amps you can compare to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back