Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jan 12, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #2,206 of 3,608
My X7 sometimes takes a long time to connect to my PS4... I'll have to power the X7 on and off a number of times before it finally "connects" and starts outputting sound.

Has anyone experienced this?

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #2,207 of 3,608
  My X7 sometimes takes a long time to connect to my PS4... I'll have to power the X7 on and off a number of times before it finally "connects" and starts outputting sound.

Has anyone experienced this?

Make sure you have the latest firmware. Mine does some wonky things some times though, where it won't play sound, but for the most part it's been good.

@mbyrnes

Just finished reading your review. Great stuff, man. How do you think the Sparkos did in terms of gaming? A major improvement, or were they more noticeable when it comes to music? My main use for the X7 is gaming, but now that I have the HD6XX, I'd like to get the most out my music. They sound great already, but I think they could be better. Did you spend much time with your HD6XX on the X7 and Sparkos, or mostly just the Ebony?

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #2,209 of 3,608
Wow, and I thought I was crazy, lol. I'm truly hoping you do this, as this info just doesn't exist.

Hopefully, you have both at the same time. I would LOVE to see the Mimby fed the surround sound through optical from the X7, and your impressions of that combo. Granted, this is a setup most won't dare try, but I would if you found it much better.

Can't wait to hear these impressions. My wallet is crying.

I'll be getting the Sparkos Op Amps sometime next week, and I'll be doing a comparison of both duals, singles, complete swap vs stock. Rather than swapping back and forth, I'm considering borrowing a friend's X7 LE and just splitting my headphones between modded and stock. I'm also going to be using my RBH R5Bi's as a major litmus test for these op amps, apparently differences should be more pronounced through speakers.

After all of that, next month I'll grab a Momby/Jot and do a Sparkos X7 LE showdown, assuming the Sparkos are worth it. Something that bothers me is the fact that the Sparkos op amps are essentially louder than stock, forcing everyone to lower their volume back down.

Pray for my wallet friends, pray. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #2,210 of 3,608

I'll be getting the Sparkos Op Amps sometime next week, and I'll be doing a comparison of both duals, singles, complete swap vs stock. Rather than swapping back and forth, I'm considering borrowing a friend's X7 LE and just splitting my headphones between modded and stock. I'm also going to be using my RBH R5Bi's as a major litmus test for these op amps, apparently differences should be more pronounced through speakers.

After all of that, next month I'll grab a Momby/Jot and do a Sparkos X7 LE showdown, assuming the Sparkos are worth it. Something that bothers me is the fact that the Sparkos op amps are essentially louder than stock, forcing everyone to lower their volume back down.

Pray for my wallet friends, pray. 

​would you mind checking if the LE is louder than the standard model at any given volume level. I'm paranoid now that I have a problem with mine.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #2,211 of 3,608
I'm running a pair of Klipsch RP-160M speakers on my X7. These speakers to me, sound like they were made for the X7. With the OPA827 op-amp they sound airy and lush, with superb dynamics. Though they take up quite a bit of desktop real estate.

The question that has been vexing me: is there any point in upgrading to the high power supply rather sticking with the stock power supply? the wattage per channel from both power supplies when driving 8 ohm speakers is identical, unless I'm missing something, or Creative did a typo when putting together the X7 spec sheet?

PS. Yethal, every time I see your avatar I crack up. For the love of god Never change it.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,213 of 3,608
Make sure you have the latest firmware. Mine does some wonky things some times though, where it won't play sound, but for the most part it's been good.

@mbyrnes

Just finished reading your review. Great stuff, man. How do you think the Sparkos did in terms of gaming? A major improvement, or were they more noticeable when it comes to music? My main use for the X7 is gaming, but now that I have the HD6XX, I'd like to get the most out my music. They sound great already, but I think they could be better. Did you spend much time with your HD6XX on the X7 and Sparkos, or mostly just the Ebony?

Most of my listening was with the Ebony, but the HD6XX did get a good amount of time. I used music because it is easy to get the exact same sound. The Ebonies are so good top to bottom that it really presented the potential of the Sparkos the best. Obviously an improvement for one headphone means improvements for all.

Honestly still trying to wrap my head around the HD6XX sound. It's so drastically different from every other headphone I've used. I like them, they're awesome for just listening to music, and enjoying it.

I was playing Battlefield 1, and it definitely sounded better to me. They have the classical music playing and it sounded awesome.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #2,214 of 3,608
Most of my listening was with the Ebony, but the HD6XX did get a good amount of time. I used music because it is easy to get the exact same sound. The Ebonies are so good top to bottom that it really presented the potential of the Sparkos the best. Obviously an improvement for one headphone means improvements for all.

Honestly still trying to wrap my head around the HD6XX sound. It's so drastically different from every other headphone I've used. I like them, they're awesome for just listening to music, and enjoying it.

I was playing Battlefield 1, and it definitely sounded better to me. They have the classical music playing and it sounded awesome.

Thanks! I kind of assumed that would be the case. If music sounds better, everything else should as well, and  I believe either Yethal or Ev shared some impressions that were in line with your comments. I'm thinking I need a pair of Ebonies. All I hear is good things about them. I've been using my 6XX's primarily for music/general pc usage, and my 598's with boom mic for gaming. I need to go back and try my K7XX. They haven't been getting too much love lately, and I don't even know if I've used them on the X7.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #2,215 of 3,608
The 598's and K7xx's will most likely have the better soundstages for gaming.
HD6xx and TH-X00's pretty close to each other soundstage wise (despite open/closed)

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #2,216 of 3,608
The TH-X00 are great for single player games. The bass is just godly. AKG Annies are my go to for online multiplayer. They are just so good for that. It's nice having options!

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,217 of 3,608
Definitely. K7XX, 598's and AD700's have all primarily been used for gaming. The SHP9500's and HD6XX for music/videos. I had a pair of 598's a couple years ago, and sold them when I got the K7XX. The problem is, every single pair of my headphones is open backed, so I figured it's time for a nice pair of closed cans.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,218 of 3,608
  I'm running a pair of Klipsch RP-160M speakers on my X7. These speakers to me, sound like they were made for the X7. With the OPA827 op-amp they sound airy and lush, with superb dynamics. Though they take up quite a bit of desktop real estate.

The question that has been vexing me: is there any point in upgrading to the high power supply rather sticking with the stock power supply? the wattage per channel from both power supplies when driving 8 ohm speakers is identical, unless I'm missing something, or Creative did a typo when putting together the X7 spec sheet?

PS. Yethal, every time I see your avatar I crack up. For the love of god Never change it.

What are your impressions on the 160M overall? I have a pair on the way, my first pair of bookshelf speakers. I'll be using my THG30 JVC receiver to the X7 via optical, though, as I have a 5.1 system and can use it as a 2.1 with the Klipsch.

Thank you for your review, I wouldn't be surprised if such was your profession!
You helped sway me, I was contemplating buying the JDS Element thinking it may be a better solid state and dac overall, but reviews of the X7 seem to suggest that it is great for it's price range. Add the 4 new op-amps, and even better!
Dealing with Andrew was an absolute delight, and I will be running all my headphones, tube amp, and speakers through this device so it seemed more logical than a whole new system.
Also, for the cover issue were you worried about dust? I can't recall the section, but I plan on using a light fabric and adhesive to cover.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #2,219 of 3,608

The power supply does make a difference regardless of the impedance of the speakers. Dynamics and bass clarity are much better with the beefier supply.

My avatar comes from a webcomic My Daily Lie by the Oatmeal. You can read it here.
I highly recommend reading Oatmeal's other comics, everything he draws is pure gold.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,220 of 3,608

The power supply does make a difference regardless of the impedance of the speakers. Dynamics and bass clarity are much better with the beefier supply.

My avatar comes from a webcomic My Daily Lie by the Oatmeal. You can read it here.
I highly recommend reading Oatmeal's other comics, everything he draws is pure gold.

Thanks for clearing that up, the detail on the bass on the RP-160M is pretty decent, the dynamics on such sensitive speakers is pretty spectacular. I will upgrade the power supply in a few months and look forward to the improved clarity.

I have several of Matthew Inmans books: i'm particularly fond of " the terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances"  I also have a few framed prints of his around my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back