Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Feb 26, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,731 of 3,462
as i understand it foobar's wasapi plugin only uses exclusive mode... yet turning the sbx features on/off or adjusting the volume slider will affect the sound

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #2,732 of 3,462
I use Xonar Essence ST on my main  "music"-rig, which is Linux based, I am very happy about how it sounds.

But I got surprisingly good results for enjoying music from my gaming-rig using Soundblaster Z on Windows 8.1. Here's how I use it for the occasional music when sitting by the gaming box:

1. I use the line output and an external amplifier.
2. Turn of ALL effects in SBZ control panel.
3. Choose Speakers and "Stereo Direct" in the SBZ control panel(bypasses the Sound Core 3D-chip).
4. Choose 24-bit 192kHz in the Windows sound applet.

This generally sounds good, but the Windows-mixer is not the best even at max resolution as above. One can use the ASIO plugin in Foobar2000 to get to ASIO instead, which bypasses the WIndows mixer. But what is even better, or at least more convenient, is to be able to stream from Spotify Premium using ASIO. Enter "Fidelify": 

http://fidelify.net/ 

This of course requires a Spotify Premium account, but the big thing about the Fidelify-client is that it supports ASIO(and WASAPI too). Using ASIO makes a noticeable difference, the resulting sound is more fluid and effortless than from the default Spotify client. Some say it makes 320kbps from Spotify sound better than FLAC from Tidal/Wimp does(because of getting rid of the Windows mixer = more destructive than FLAC vs 320kbps).

Another cool thing about the Fidelify-client is that it supports VST-plugins, one can use in example professional vintage tube studio gear plugins like Voxengo Tube Amp(there are many similar plugins out there) to get the rig to sound a little warmer and more sparkly, like a vintage tube amplifier. This is what famous music producers do on their albums all the time, but some music may need some extra of it or it can be used to get more synergy from a certain rig which sounds slightly cold. There's an infinite territory for experimenting here.

"Warming up" by the use of a VST-plug works the best if you have very analytical speakers or cans, it can make them sound that much warmer and more full bodied while not sharp at full throttle. In my case this works excellent with AKG K612 Pro and makes them sound almost as warm as what the Sennheiser HD600 does by default(as long as your external amp is powerful enough for the AKG:s).

Anyway, Soundblaster Z can sound superb using Fidelify on Windows and using the cards line out. It do have the Cirrus Logic flagship DAC-chip, CS4398, which has great potential. One just have to disable all the Creative/Windows-fluff.  Maybe not the last word in resolution but in the end the sound is pleasing. Good enough that I don't feel any panic to switch over to my music rig when just enjoying music. And SBZ is still great when being used as a gaming card on a gaming rig, which it is intended to be.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,733 of 3,462
Hey guys, I just bought a Zx from the Amazon sell yesterday ($85), so I was wondering if there's a list of things to do to get the best out of the card that you can. Windows 7, i7-860 CPU, DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm impedance http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM

Need any other information? I already know that the volume control knob thingy is apparently a crappy thing you shouldn't use.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #2,735 of 3,462
In another thread someone had mentioned he wasn't sure nor am I if this card can properly power my headphones. I assume they could as it says it can power 600 Ohms but in terms of power delivery that might mean squat. So can someone tell me how adequate 80mW is? I have Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 Ohms can this thing power these headphones or higher end headphones?

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #2,736 of 3,462
  In another thread someone had mentioned he wasn't sure nor am I if this card can properly power my headphones. I assume they could as it says it can power 600 Ohms but in terms of power delivery that might mean squat. So can someone tell me how adequate 80mW is? I have Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 Ohms can this thing power these headphones or higher end headphones?

I have the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms, and SBZ has no problem powering those.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #2,737 of 3,462

I have the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms, and SBZ has no problem powering those.

I'm still learning, so I looked up the DT990's and I see 96dB/mW is that what I am looking for in terms of mW for a soundcard/ amp? So my card puts out 80mW so does that mean it can push my headphones to 83% of what they could be? Or am I totally wrong?

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2,738 of 3,462

I'm still learning, so I looked up the DT990's and I see 96dB/mW is that what I am looking for in terms of mW for a soundcard/ amp? So my card puts out 80mW so does that mean it can push my headphones to 83% of what they could be? Or am I totally wrong?

This is not correct.  The figure 96dB/mW means that you get 96dB of volume out of a single mW.  After this doubling the power only gives you about 3dB more each time the power output is doubled.  This means you should get around ~112dB with full volume at 80 mW.  I have seen a lot of people say that it is ideal to be able to get to 120 dB because of some tracks that have a lot of volume changes (a 30dB change between quiet sections and loud sections), but the vast majority of the time we listen at 1mW or less.  This is how I understand it, so anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong; which is entirely possible.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,739 of 3,462
I wonder if Creative will have properly working Windows 10 drivers when it launches...

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2,740 of 3,462

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2991/~/understanding-earphone-/-headphone-specifications

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,742 of 3,462
Mar 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,744 of 3,462
How does the SoundBlaster Omni hold up today? Any similarly priced options that are newer/better?
I guess it's basically external Recon3D so the DAC is nothing special.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #2,745 of 3,462
  How does the Sound Blaster Omni hold up today? Any similarly priced options that are newer/better?

As a external sound card, I would assume it's just as good as any other external sound card, for it's price range.
For a few dollars more you could get the FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla (both are USB/DAC/amps), they do not come with any sound card features, but should at least be a little better audio quality wise, then the Omni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back