Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 21, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #2,701 of 3,462
i know this is a bit off-topic, but a lot of you here know your stuff.

my question is, does the windows speaker configuration for 5.1 or stereo have any effect on sound that goes through optical out for to my Dac/Amp?

What about when i use my SBZ DSP for virtual surround, but decide to turn off virtual surround when i want stereo for music. under this setting, windows is configured for sbz/speakers as default, and "play stereo mix through digital out" is select in SBZ control panel.

I tested it, and it seems to have no effect when i turn off DSP and want purely stereo, but i wanted to be sure.

I guess I'd say that whether you process the signal or not, it's stereo either way? Unless you checked the box for Dolby Digital Live output encoding. I could spend a month re-writing a user guide or changing the UI, if it was my job :p

Stillhart has a cool method where his music player is set to output ASIO and bypass the SBX suite, so he can "leave" on the processing settings but music is played straight. I use iTunes (been using it for a long time, when the four options were ripping CDs manually, downloading illegally, or a subscription service where you have to keep paying to "rent" music, or iTunes) and a Sound Blaster X7, so I either switch on stereo-direct, or select my "music" preset.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,702 of 3,462
I guess I'd say that whether you process the signal or not, it's stereo either way? Unless you checked the box for Dolby Digital Live output encoding. I could spend a month re-writing a user guide or changing the UI, if it was my job :p

@Stillhart has a cool method where his music player is set to output ASIO and bypass the SBX suite, so he can "leave" on the processing settings but music is played straight. I use iTunes (been using it for a long time, when the four options were ripping CDs manually, downloading illegally, or a subscription service where you have to keep paying to "rent" music, or iTunes) and a Sound Blaster X7, so I either switch on stereo-direct, or select my "music" preset.

I use WASPI because I couldn't get the ASIO drivers working right, but it's the same idea.  Any time I play music from my music player, it bypasses all DSP from the sound card, including volume control.  That way, I can keep surround on all the time and don't really have to worry about remembering to turn it on or off.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2,703 of 3,462
So I chatted with customer service at Creative and I was told that my Sound Blaster Z is the same as the rest, that no changes were made in its entirety.

My Sound Blaster Z is good. I guess...lol

He said that the sound level each of use with out Sound Blaster Z is subjective, which I do believe is the case, some of us need a higher volume to listen better, could be going deaf, or other things.

I hear no distortions either way. I just have to raise it up to 70% to 75%, which to me sounds good as it is, a bit loud....but my ears can handle it I think lol.

I used a sound meter on my LG G2 to measure the dB and I get avarage 75 to 80dB with low 35 and peaks of 90dB...this is just an estimate since its not accurate completely, but gives me a general idea what I hear at 75% volume.

Also, like some have said, low impedance high or high impedance headphones will give you different results as well.

I guess Ill be keeping it for a while now.............

That is until I get the X7 later this yearh :p

Just wanted to put out this info out there.....and Im loving my K7XX <3

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #2,704 of 3,462
^interesting.
The SPL meter would fascinate me... I also hope your ears can handle it!

There was something on Etymotic about safe listening levels before hearing damage (Etymotic made hearing aids before making some of the earliest IEMs), I'll look for it and share if I find it.

Edit: similar article from Inner Fidelity:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-headphones-and-hearing-safety

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #2,705 of 3,462
^interesting.
The SPL meter would fascinate me... I also hope your ears can handle it!

There was something on Etymotic about safe listening levels before hearing damage (Etymotic made hearing aids before making some of the earliest IEMs), I'll look for it and share if I find it.

Edit: similar article from Inner Fidelity:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-headphones-and-hearing-safety

There is also a thread in here about this as well. When I get on my PC I'll post the link.

Etymotic makes some good ear protection. I wish I knew about them when I headed out to concerts and whatnot lol. But with their ear plugs, you can still hear the music but without damaging the ears.

Coffee also contributes to hearing loss along with other factors of which I don't remember right now. But thanks for the additional info.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2,708 of 3,462
After realizing that I can't stand the hassle of having an external dac I'll be upgrading from ZX to ZXR.
I'll make some tests with the amp and my Fiio E12A via RCA>Jack. Who knows, maybe I'll get rid of the fiio as well.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,709 of 3,462
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723464/hearing-safety-and-ear-health-thread-a-diary-of-a-ear-health-noob

Here is the link for those interested about hearing at safe levels and all the bad stuff you should avoid.

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #2,710 of 3,462
Quick question (abouit ZXR): better to connect RCA>Fiio E12A>Headphones, or Headphone out>Fiio E12A>Headphones ?

P.S. Talking about sound quality for music, not interested in SBX.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2,711 of 3,462
Hi everyone, I don't know if it's only me or someone also have experienced this, my Sound Blaster Z sound fantastic with Windows 7 than Windows 10 & 8.1. there is no decent bass, mids and treble. everything is just so harsh, very difficult to listen to music, it's just crap. I tried all the settings in iTunes 12, SBZ EQ etc. but........move back to Windows 7 just because of that crap sound, otherwise I love Windows 10. I only have over-ear headphones.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2,712 of 3,462
Did you try with Foobar and Wasapi?

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #2,713 of 3,462
I have the Zx and every time I turn the volume up or down on the ACM Volume Knob I get static/noise. It's really starting to piss me off. Anybody else here have this issue and some sort of fix other than bypassing  it altogether??

Cheers.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #2,714 of 3,462
  I have the Zx and every time I turn the volume up or down on the ACM Volume Knob I get static/noise. It's really starting to piss me off. Anybody else here have this issue and some sort of fix other than bypassing  it altogether??

Cheers.

Ive seen this problem on amazon reviews. But to be honest, do you really need it? I know it makes things easier with the volume knob, kind of wish i had it but......is it possible for you to not use it at all? I just have the regular SB Z....

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2,715 of 3,462
  Ive seen this problem on amazon reviews. But to be honest, do you really need it? I know it makes things easier with the volume knob, kind of wish i had it but......is it possible for you to not use it at all? I just have the regular SB Z....

Thanks for your reply.

The volume pot is indeed handy but me thinks this sound card is a over priced piece of crap and perhaps I'm better off a desktop dac/amp.

My custom headphone cable is not long enough to plug into the back of the sound card although the stock cable that came with it is so I should just see how it goes this way. The volume pot was the main reason I went this way. Will give it a shot. Makes the ACM device obsolete and a pricey extra that I'm not going to use though. I may be able to offload it on eBay but then I'm just passing the issue onto somebody else.

I'm about to upgrade my amp for my dap so I'm thinking that using my old iBasso D6 is the go. I know it won't be able to use those 3d effects for gaming but I really don't use them anyway.

Anybody else with this issue and a possible fix ie repair or is this a trait of the pot on this ACM. Very disappointing considering the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back