Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Mar 28, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #2,761 of 3,462
Ive been looking at other things like dacs and amps but they present me with a problem
Theyre usually too expensive or will prevent me from using positional audio since i like that a lot in gaming.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,762 of 3,462
If they have optical or coaxial input they wont prevent you from using positional audio since all you would need to do is plug in your existing sound blaster card optical, asus xonar Optical or your onboard audio if it supports X-FI MB3 or Cinema 2 into the units. Xonar and Z series cards has the option to route the gaming DSP's directly to the optical also with a setting in their panel which means you can send dolby headphone,SBX surround and CMSS3D Headphone to external dacs.

There is a option when using the USB inputs which is using Razer surround software which works with external dac's. Which works decent enough, but of course Xonar and creative options i find do a better job, it just the razer software is free.

There are different ones in all price ranges like a Fiio E10K  that i seen for $75 as well the one that monoprice sells for $83.  Then the Aune T1 MK2 which is $149ish as well  Audio-GD NFB15 which is $230 and both are all in one units.

Schiit Modi 2 uber  dac has both Coaxial/optical units for $149 and $99 for just USB with the magni 2 amp being $99. of course there are more out there. You don't have to spend a whole lot of money for them as there are options.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #2,764 of 3,462
I think it's software embedded into the drivers.

I've tried the razer vs the cmss in the xtremegamer. I find the razed gives better positional but muffles the sound. The cmss gives a cleaner, almost tinny, sound but what's behind you sounds like it's behind and over the back of your head vs the razers where it seems it's a few or several hundred feet behind you, but again, muffled sound

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2,765 of 3,462
The thing is if you don't config Dolby Headphone,CMSS3D Headphone and SBX surround correctly then they wont work right. As in Setting the Audio settings to 5.1 or 7.1 in windows and games and then setting the sound card to output Headphones. If you keep it on stereo instead then all 3 wont work that well or that good. Its important to make sure you config it so it works.  When configured correctly I find SBX surround to do a better job for me then CMSS3D Headphone. Where CMSS3D Headphone has some kind of bass added in that messes up the effect. While SBX surround doesn't.

I didn't like razer surround that much but it worked for something to use for free.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,766 of 3,462
hi guys,

Really need some advise and help here. I am very new to these and i really need some advise from someone.

I am currently using a Creative Sound Blaster ZX with my wonder HD595. Wanted to upgrade my Headphone to HD800. Kinda worried that the SB Zx is not good enough for the HD800.

Do i need any AMP/DAC for HD800 even if i am using the SB Zx?

Please kindly advise me. I am really lost after i read related info for SB Zx and HD800.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,767 of 3,462

Do i need any AMP/DAC for HD800 even if i am using the SB Zx?

Please kindly advise me. I am really lost after i read related info for SB Zx and HD800.

Hmm.. HD800 is in other league, and when you buy 1000USD cans i think you should carefully check what other components best pairs with it to get what you expect for this price. And if you aim mostly on gaming there is cheaper options for that. 

I would definitely vote for high end dac + amp to pair with HD800.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #2,768 of 3,462
Hmm.. HD800 is in other league, and when you buy 1000USD cans i think you should carefully check what other components best pairs with it to get what you expect for this price. And if you aim mostly on gaming there is cheaper options for that. 

I would definitely vote for high end dac + amp to pair with HD800.

Thanks for the advise. I understand that it will be the best if I got some hardcore DAC /AMP to pair with it but it's just a short-term resolution using just my Sb zx with the headphone. Trying to learn more about dac /amp before I choose which one I should get. It's just so many things to look into. Getting confuse after reading more and more of different tread and post.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,769 of 3,462
It will work fine with Zx, but don,t expect much, i couldn't find full spec for Zx but by it is up to 600 ohm so will have some power for 300 ohm Hp.. And don't use volume knob, GL!

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2,771 of 3,462
Been trying the SBX pro studio surround feature of the card on my DVD-Audios recordings with everything set for surround except the final output from my ZXR & it seems to work very well surround material. I tried it also with stereo recordings as well but did not like the extreme placements of the instruments given that the sound is for the most part supposed to stay in front of you with stereo. Yes there are some recordings that are recorded in stereo that are meant to have surround like effects but those already have the effect built into the recording either through electronic processing or through the use of Blumlien microphone techniques. With surround recordings such as most DVD-Audio recording the result is convincing as these recordings are meant to surround you with sound.

The positive comments relate to the use of stereo speakers, not headphones, not that the it makes headphones sound bad because it doesn't but just that it is not in any way convincing to me compared to it's effects with speakers.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #2,772 of 3,462
Haha thanks for the GL. Now I am worried!

Don't worry, it will have enough power to run HD800, though i still can not find exact power details @300 Ohm for Z only for ZxR... 

BTW 3,5 mm adapter is not included with HD800, so you either need one to plug directly into Z or you will need to use knob (though knob could degrade sound).

Another BTW, saw some pretty negative reviews of Hd800 here, and every second says it is very sensitive to quality amp :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #2,773 of 3,462
Hi to all headfiers, have a question about ZxR + Beyer T90, have anyone used it together? Did you had opportunity to compare it to any other amp? I am not fully happy how it sounds in some situations, so trying to find a solution.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2,774 of 3,462
I don't think I shared this in the thread yet and I think they give great info, direct from Creative.

Here is my Op-Amp Setup
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #2,775 of 3,462
  Hey guys, I just bought a Zx from the Amazon sell yesterday ($85), so I was wondering if there's a list of things to do to get the best out of the card that you can. Windows 7, i7-860 CPU, DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm impedance http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM

Need any other information? I already know that the volume control knob thingy is apparently a crappy thing you shouldn't use.

I used to own the Sound Blaster Z sound card and it stated that in order to use the Headphone Amp I had to plug in my headphones directly into the sound card. Not in the front of the PC headphone connection.

I am pretty sure that the headphone amp for Zx is built into the Sound Card and not the ACM which is why people are having this change in sound and power. It's the same amp as the Z version so I wouldn't be surprised.

I purchased the ZxR recently and it states in the manual that the ACM is where the amp is located. It is also a different amp vs the Z/Zx. So you have to connect the AMC to the sound card and plug in your headphones directly into the ACM. That should help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back