Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Dec 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #2,596 of 3,462
If this is a matter of crosstalk within the connections and that means that this sound card is defective?  I've searched this thread and google for sound leaking into the input but haven't found much.  

Should I return this card for a refund?  Is there any hope for the Sound Blaster Z series?

I've been told to buy the Xonar of similar price but it seems from the tech specs of a similar priced zonar (e.g. DX) that the Sound Blaster is better in terms of Headphone Amp, SNR value, and bundled software.

What do you guys think?

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,597 of 3,462
Hey, can someone give me a quick reply of the best (sbx pro studio) settings for cs go? Or to just turn them off altogether?

Also do i select headphones or 5.1 speakers in-game (when i use actual headphones and have the headphone slider on)?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #2,598 of 3,462
  If this is a matter of crosstalk within the connections and that means that this sound card is defective?  I've searched this thread and google for sound leaking into the input but haven't found much.  

Should I return this card for a refund?  Is there any hope for the Sound Blaster Z series?

I've been told to buy the Xonar of similar price but it seems from the tech specs of a similar priced zonar (e.g. DX) that the Sound Blaster is better in terms of Headphone Amp, SNR value, and bundled software.

What do you guys think?

I would say just return it. Thats it. Or if you want to try it again, get a replacement from them. Once you get a replacement, try it, if it still does the same. Return it, get full refund an thats it. No need to break your head trying to figure out something that you probably wont find the answer to. It seems the drivers are a hit or miss for alot of people depending on configuration set up of your pc and other drivers being involved. You might be that unlucky guy that has the wrong set up, in terms of drivers interfering with the sound blaster z drivers.

Thats all I can suggest to you from here on out.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2,601 of 3,462
Why don't you test it yourself if you hear any differences?
Technically this extra passive link with volumepot and extra cable will degrade the audiosignals, but can also make it sound "better" to your ears of the extra "muffled" sounds like more warmer as "analog", only you can tell.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #2,602 of 3,462
So I finally got my SB Omni from the black friday sale.  Good: SBX works and is different than DH, ASIO and WASAPI playback in foobar2000 "kind of" works and doesn't completely freeze my PC when it can't handle it (like my old X-Fi Titanium).  Bad: It doesn't support 44.1kHz?!?! What?!?  I did a search through this thread and only 1 person kind of mentioned no 44.1kHz support in passing.

Does nobody else use the SB Omni with ASIO/WASAPI playback with 16/44 files?  Without resorting to using an up-sampler I mean.  It only supports 48 or 96kHz.  foobar throws an error "sample rate of 44100Hz not supported by this device". 

It seems that I naively assumed that any sound card that can do 24/96 could also do all the common sampling rates below, e.g. 44.1 & 48kHz.  95+% of my music collection is 16/44.  And no, I don't have room for the SB Z PCIe because I've got a pair of video cards in crossfire and no PCIe 1x slot above my top PCIe 16x slot.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2,603 of 3,462
If I recall I got it to do 44/16khz when i did Dsound in foorbar. I know it does it when the driver is not installed and using windows usb audio drivers.But i couldnt get it to do it with either asio or wasapi either without having to upsample.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,604 of 3,462
Did anyone had this problem with his speakers/headphones ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvxele5crc&list=UUgMXU4N4K-pyE8RHpKgAs9w

http://www.overclock.net/t/1337761/official-creative-sound-blaster-z-zx-zxr-series-club/2980#post_23303566

http://www.overclock.net/t/1337761/official-creative-sound-blaster-z-zx-zxr-series-club/2980#post_23305178

Can someone post the issue to creative ? their stupid site doesn't work after you click submit and they want serial number + a receipt of buying.... pffff that's why I can't post this ****ty problem to them, I'm lazy to pull the card from the computer and find the receipt. 
http://asia.creative.com/contactus/technicalassistance

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #2,605 of 3,462
Hi. need to know if sound blaster Z is good for my 18 ohms headphones Sennheiser Momentum over ear. the volume is very low in my PC which have realtek ALC1150. I'm gonna receive this card soon as a gift. I don't wanna open it and try it if it's not worth for my headphones. thanks

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #2,606 of 3,462
  Hi. need to know if sound blaster Z is good for my 18 ohms headphones Sennheiser Momentum over ear. the volume is very low in my PC which have realtek ALC1150. I'm gonna receive this card soon as a gift. I don't wanna open it and try it if it's not worth for my headphones. thanks

The high output impedance of the Sound Blaster Z is going to cause problems with those low impedance dynamic headphones. I would get a Fiio E17 (not E17k) and run optical out from the soundcard to the E17 which has optical input. The E17 will power your momentums beautifully.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2,607 of 3,462

The high output impedance of the Sound Blaster Z is going to cause problems with those low impedance dynamic headphones. I would get a Fiio E17 (not E17k) and run optical out from the soundcard to the E17 which has optical input. The E17 will power your momentums beautifully.

I have a similar situation, with the same SBZ, Fidelio X2s and a Fiio E12A on the way.
To have the best experience I should use the speaker output right?
I'm asking because I've been trying switching between Headphone/Speaker out and the volume seems the same (probably just because of how easy to drive the X2s are).

Any better alternative with this setup?

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2,608 of 3,462
With such a huge soundstage with the AD700s, when gaming and positional cues are a focus, does setting the SBX Pro Studio Surround at a high % distort performance? i.e. would 33% be more optimal than 67%?

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #2,609 of 3,462
I recently contact Creative for a problem of these products about the amplification gain setting not present.
And Creative confirm it ! In the Z and ZX is not possible set the amplification gain for the headphone, then the card give always permanent 600 ohm !!! and Creative recommends to decreasing the volume from Windows.

The questions are :

1 ) This situation still can give some problems so ? 
2 ) If i plug a traditional headphone with 30-32 ohm the sound can be distorted or tampered than its original sound ?

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2,610 of 3,462
Originally Posted by paulguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently contact Creative for a problem of these products about the amplification gain setting not present.
And Creative confirm it ! In the Z and ZX is not possible set the amplification gain for the headphone, then the card give always permanent 600 ohm !!! and Creative recommends to decreasing the volume from Windows.

The questions are :

1 ) This situation still can give some problems so ? 
2 ) If i plug a traditional headphone with 30-32 ohm the sound can be distorted or tampered than its original sound ?

Use optical out to a DAC with optical input. I always recommend buying the cheapest sound card (Sound Blaster Z OEM) in their lineup for this reason. The higher output impedance of their soundcards and high power output mean that those soundcards are only really suited to high impedance, lower sensitivity headphones. I'll also have to get an X-Fi Surround 5.1 and see how well that works rather than having an internal soundcard.

Originally Posted by razorpakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a similar situation, with the same SBZ, Fidelio X2s and a Fiio E12A on the way.
To have the best experience I should use the speaker output right?
I'm asking because I've been trying switching between Headphone/Speaker out and the volume seems the same (probably just because of how easy to drive the X2s are).

Any better alternative with this setup?

Too much power going into E12A. I would buy the E17 (not E17K) and just use that because the X1/X2 is high sensitivity. Optical out on the soundcard to the optical input on the E17. Tick "play stereo mix to digital" in Creative control panel under Advanced Features. You could use a Modi 2 optical/Uber as the DAC if you want with the E12A but it's up to you. Returning the E12A and buying a used E17 would be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back