Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 5, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #2,611 of 3,462

Use optical out to a DAC with optical input. I always recommend buying the cheapest sound card (Sound Blaster Z OEM) in their lineup for this reason. The higher output impedance of their soundcards and high power output mean that those soundcards are only really suited to high impedance, lower sensitivity headphones. I'll also have to get an X-Fi Surround 5.1 and see how well that works rather than having an internal soundcard.

why u recomends optical input ? USB is not the same ?

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #2,612 of 3,462
Quote:
  why u recomends optical input ? USB is not the same ?

The soundcard only has Optical output. If you want to use SBX Pro Studio 5.1 Virtual Surround Sound without using the DAC/Amp inside the soundcard then you would use Optical out on the soundcard to a DAC with Optical input. The virtual surround sound processed audio (stereo) is then sent via Optical out from the soundcard to the external DAC. The reason you would do this is if you want to bypass the DAC/Amp in the soundcard which I would definitely want to do with high sensitivity, low impedance headphones and IEMs.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #2,613 of 3,462

The soundcard only has Optical output. If you want to use SBX Pro Studio 5.1 Virtual Surround Sound without using the DAC/Amp inside the soundcard then you would use Optical out on the soundcard to a DAC with Optical input. The virtual surround sound processed audio (stereo) is then sent via Optical out from the soundcard to the external DAC. The reason you would do this is if you want to bypass the DAC/Amp in the soundcard which I would definitely want to do with high sensitivity, low impedance headphones and IEMs.

i want use only 1 cable for output.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #2,614 of 3,462
I have just installed a new Sound Blaster Zx sound card and am experiencing low voume with my new AKG K612 Pro headphones....

Even when the volume is at 100% the sound I am hearing is very low...

All volumes in Windows are on 100%

Any clues tips please?

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #2,615 of 3,462
  i want use only 1 cable for output.

Can you tell me clearly what you want to do.

Originally Posted by anthonyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just installed a new Sound Blaster Zx sound card and am experiencing low voume with my new AKG K612 Pro headphones....

Even when the volume is at 100% the sound I am hearing is very low...

All volumes in Windows are on 100%

Any clues tips please?

Check your volume mixer to see if other applications are at a low volume.

Have you plugged your headphones into the correct jack?

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #2,616 of 3,462

Can you tell me clearly what you want to do.

Check your volume mixer to see if other applications are at a low volume.

Have you plugged your headphones into the correct jack?

All other volume sliders are at 100% and headphone is connected to the correct jack.

I have also plugged the headphones directly into the sound card to see if the break out unit was the problem but the volume was the same.

I am getting terrible sound from this.... muffled sound...low volume...

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #2,618 of 3,462
Originally Posted by anthonyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All other volume sliders are at 100% and headphone is connected to the correct jack.

I have also plugged the headphones directly into the sound card to see if the break out unit was the problem but the volume was the same.

I am getting terrible sound from this.... muffled sound...low volume...

I would try with another computer if you can but it sounds faulty to me.

Originally Posted by paulguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want have less cables possible
only 1 power cord for the wall and only 1 output cable from PC

If i plug a low impedance headphone in the SB-Z ( with permanent and much highter impedance ) what happen ?
Will be sufficient decreasing the volume or the sound will change ?

What headphones are you using? I can give you an easy answer if you tell me what headphones you want to use.

It depends on the sensitivity of the headphone. If the headphone is very high sensitivity then you will have to turn the volume slider in Windows down very low and you may not have much control over volume because each step of 1 in Windows volume control will make headphones much louder or quieter.

The higher output impedance of the soundcard may make the bass softer and less tight but this depends on the impedance of the headphones.

You can't use balanced armature driver IEMs because the high output impedance will drastically change the frequency response and affect the crossovers. IEMs are usually far too high sensitivity to be used with these soundcards anyway.

To give an example. I was using Etymotic ER-4PT IEMs with SBX Pro Studio 6.1 VSS. I used Optical out on the Sound Blaster Z (OEM) to a Fiio E17. The Fiio E17 then did the digital to analogue conversion and was also the amplifier. The E17 has an output impedance of less than 1ohm and you can adjust volume easily without it becoming too loud or quiet. I had the benefits of SBX Pro Studio virtual surround sound while also being able to use my IEMs.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,619 of 3,462

What headphones are you using? I can give you an easy answer if you tell me what headphones you want to use.

It depends on the sensitivity of the headphone. If the headphone is very high sensitivity then you will have to turn the volume slider in Windows down very low and you may not have much control over volume because each step of 1 in Windows volume control will make headphones much louder or quieter.

The higher output impedance of the soundcard may make the bass softer and less tight but this depends on the impedance of the headphones.

You can't use balanced armature driver IEMs because the high output impedance will drastically change the frequency response and affect the crossovers. IEMs are usually far too high sensitivity to be used with these soundcards anyway.

To give an example. I was using Etymotic ER-4PT IEMs with SBX Pro Studio 6.1 VSS. I used Optical out on the Sound Blaster Z (OEM) to a Fiio E17. The Fiio E17 then did the digital to analogue conversion and was also the amplifier. The E17 has an output impedance of less than 1ohm and you can adjust volume easily without it becoming too loud or quiet. I had the benefits of SBX Pro Studio virtual surround sound while also being able to use my IEMs.

I will use Philips Fidelio X2

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #2,622 of 3,462

Use optical out to a DAC with optical input. I always recommend buying the cheapest sound card (Sound Blaster Z OEM) in their lineup for this reason. The higher output impedance of their soundcards and high power output mean that those soundcards are only really suited to high impedance, lower sensitivity headphones. I'll also have to get an X-Fi Surround 5.1 and see how well that works rather than having an internal soundcard.

Too much power going into E12A. I would buy the E17 (not E17K) and just use that because the X1/X2 is high sensitivity. Optical out on the soundcard to the optical input on the E17. Tick "play stereo mix to digital" in Creative control panel under Advanced Features. You could use a Modi 2 optical/Uber as the DAC if you want with the E12A but it's up to you. Returning the E12A and buying a used E17 would be cheaper.

I will use the E12A also with other equipment, so I guess I'll keep things like this until I have money for the Shiit (by the way, any other Dac to pair up with the E12a that is sold in the UK? Between customs and the shipping cost it becomes quite pricy).

P.S. What about the first Fiio D3?

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,623 of 3,462
  maybe its better to give up surround 

Use Razer Surround then.
  I will use the E12A also with other equipment, so I guess I'll keep things like this until I have money for the Shiit (by the way, any other Dac to pair up with the E12a that is sold in the UK? Between customs and the shipping cost it becomes quite pricy).

P.S. What about the first Fiio D3?

You could use the D3k. It's not the best DAC and rolls off in the very high frequency but it isn't terrible.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,624 of 3,462
I think I'll save up for a few weeks for the E-DAC (British odac).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back