Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Mar 13, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #2,057 of 3,462
  Thanks for your input. :wink: Yeah, I don't want anything colouring the sound when listening to music, just the raw stereo sound, plain and simple.

But can the SBX Pro Studio and the other gaming features on the card improve the quality of the HD650s in gaming, soundstage and directionality wise? I'm asking this because, according to Mad Lust Envy's thread, these are only decent at gaming.

They are fantastic at soundstage and direction!

The only reason why anyone would write that they aren't is because in general you have an easier time pinpointing bright sounds than darker tones. So bright headphones tend to be labeled "good gaming headphones". Which is a gross oversimplification, and don't forget there's always EQ. Not that the HD650 needs it.

Just buy them, you're not going to find anything better for music and gaming for that money.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2,058 of 3,462
Thanks again for your insight! 

One more thing, that person who is selling me the HD650s also has the HD598s for sale for 125€ (bought from Amazon last October). I arranged an audition of the two headphones with him, and he says that if both end up pleasing my ears and I get both from him, he will make me a "nice discount", his words. By the way, both headphones come with aftermarket cables, don't know if they're better than the stock or not though. The one that comes with the HD650s is a 1.2m Furukawa.

My question is: would I get any benefit from buying the HD598s too? I know they are technically inferior, but can they compensate for the laid back treble in the HD650s? Would their airier sound and larger soundstage (?) give me an advantage in gaming over the HD650s?
Then there's the low impedance advantage. I could almost plug in the HD598s to anything, and they'd still sound pretty good, I guess.

The HD600s also enter the equation, as I can get them from Amazon.fr new for about 270/280€.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #2,059 of 3,462
  Thanks again for your insight! 

One more thing, that person who is selling me the HD650s also has the HD598s for sale for 125€ (bought from Amazon last October). I arranged an audition of the two headphones with him, and he says that if both end up pleasing my ears and I get both from him, he will make me a "nice discount", his words. By the way, both headphones come with aftermarket cables, don't know if they're better than the stock or not though. The one that comes with the HD650s is a 1.2m Furukawa.

My question is: would I get any benefit from buying the HD598s too? I know they are technically inferior, but can they compensate for the laid back treble in the HD650s? Would their airier sound and larger soundstage (?) give me an advantage in gaming over the HD650s?
Then there's the low impedance advantage. I could almost plug in the HD598s to anything, and they'd still sound pretty good, I think.

The HD600s also enter the equation, as I can get them from Amazon.fr new for about 270/280€.

They HD598's are really great and a fantastic entry level headphone, if you're only looking for positioning in your games I believe they should be more than enough really.

However - if you're listening to music and also want a more immersive gaming experience the HD650 are a cut above. They have more bass and a fuller richer sound signature. So they are more enjoyable to me.

The HD600 are also great and also a step above the 598s.

People who like pop/rap/electronica tend to favor the HD650 while lovers of neutrality and classical usually go with HD600. But they both have a fuller more high-end hi-fi sound than the 598's.

If you're only going to buy one pair of headphones and want a strong focus on gaming positioning audio the HD600 might be the one for you.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,060 of 3,462
Not because I am partial, but at that price range you can get the awesome SoundMAGIC HP100 or even HP200

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #2,061 of 3,462
@TwoEars
Well, I listen to a little bit of everything, from pop to rock, from metal to alternative, from blues to classical and choral.

So, if I go with the HD650s, there should be no point in getting the HD598s too according to you, right?

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #2,062 of 3,462
Well, I listen to a little bit of everything, from pop to rock, from metal to alternative, from blues to classical and choral.

So, if I go with the HD650s, there should be no point in getting the HD598s too according to you, right?

Nope.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #2,063 of 3,462
  Not because I am partial, but at that price range you can get the awesome SoundMAGIC HP100 or even HP200

I didn't know about those. I think I'm gonna read some reviews about them. Are they in the same league as the HD650s? I see that they are closed, whereas the Senns are open. (mistake)

Nope.

Ok. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,064 of 3,462
Has anyone had any issues with the ZxR not being detected?

I just got the card and for a few weeks it has been working properly, then all of a sudden I have no sound. Creative auto update doesn't even detect the card at all and when I try to open the control panel I get a message says I don't have a supported device.

I have reinstalled the drivers and reseated the card a few times. I even went out to buy another ZxR just to see if I need to rma but it happened to that card also.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,065 of 3,462

I just got the card and for a few weeks it has been working properly, then all of a sudden I have no sound. Creative auto update doesn't even detect the card at all and when I try to open the control panel I get a message says I don't have a supported device.

I have reinstalled the drivers and reseated the card a few times. I even went out to buy another ZxR just to see if I need to rma but it happened to that card also.

That sounds like a pain.

Can you see if you can see the card in device manager? It should say something like soundblaster zxr.

Try removing the card and do a full uninstallation of ALL drivers: http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/2007/09/12/how-to-fully-uninstall-creative-vista-drivers-solve-install-problems/

It could also be a bios issue since the card is allocated a address which is stored in bios and kept for each restart. So if you're comfortable with you can try clearing the cmos and configuring the bios again. You can also simply try another pci-e slot if you have one free.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #2,066 of 3,462

That sounds like a pain.

Can you see if you can see the card in device manager? It should say something like soundblaster zxr.

Try removing the card and do a full uninstallation of ALL drivers: http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/2007/09/12/how-to-fully-uninstall-creative-vista-drivers-solve-install-problems/

It could also be a bios issue since the card is allocated a address which is stored in bios and kept for each restart. So if you're comfortable with you can try clearing the cmos and configuring the bios again. You can also simply try another pci-e slot if you have one free.

I have tried using the other slots to no avail. The card actually does not show up in device manager but I do have a sound blaster audio controller, a bunch of high def audio controllers. I have tried uninstalling those high def audio driver but it keeps on installing itself ( windows 7 issue?)

I will try clearing CMOS and also try the fully uninstall drivers you showed me.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm using an ep45-ud3p motherboard.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,067 of 3,462
I have tried using the other slots to no avail. The card actually does not show up in device manager but I do have a sound blaster audio controller, a bunch of high def audio controllers. I have tried uninstalling those high def audio driver but it keeps on installing itself ( windows 7 issue?)

I will try clearing CMOS and also try the fully uninstall drivers you showed me.

Yeah, try removing the card and then uninstalling absolutely everything audio related.

While you're on the bios you can also disable the onboard audio. That should keep windows from finding and installing drivers for the motherboard audio chipset, not needed obviously.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #2,068 of 3,462

Read here that someone had a success with connecting expansion board, even if You are not using it. But 2 faulty board seems too much, could be problem with system, try:

1. Upgrade Your mobo BIOS to the latest version, don't forget to reset to factory defaults after update
2. Disable on-boar audio, though it shouldn't be a problem
3. Wipe all drivers. And update all system drives like Intel Chipset, video..
4. Finally install card, use 2 PCI-E x 1 closest to CPU

GL 

UPD 1. Mobo BIOS not DRIVER :)

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2,069 of 3,462

I have no issues here though. I'm running Windows Seven & Windows Eight on an Asus P6T motherboard & Intel 920 processor with 24 gigabytes ram 2-80 gigabyte SSD's in hardware RAID & 2-1 Terabyte HDD's In software RAID. You are running an older setutup. You could try having your bios updated but if you have no experience with doing this have a tech do it for you. Sometimes newer bios revisions help with adding newer hardware.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2,070 of 3,462
What are you some good settings for this sound card coupled with the Sennheiser 598s? The equalizer has just about everything but hiphop/rap covered. That would be helpful if someone has found a good balance there. In particular with these headphones, gaming is huge for me. If someone has any suggestions other than to leave it at Flat for games I'd like to know.

Also, I've read a couple of people saying NOT to upgrade to the latest drivers that released on the 22nd of January. Are they performing as poorly as some claim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back