Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #2,311 of 2,345
A new firmware came out for this recently. Glad to see Creative continuing to support this great (wacky) device!

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,313 of 2,345
Don't recall, June 2018 was the date I believe.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #2,314 of 2,345
Hello all

Is this still a solid value proposition for desk use/around the house (bt), when price is comparable too Sabaj da3/NX4 or even ES100?
it's on sale for 100 Euros so pretty tempting, with all its extra features.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,315 of 2,345
Hello all

Is this still a solid value proposition for desk use/around the house (bt), when price is comparable too Sabaj da3/NX4 or even ES100?
it's on sale for 100 Euros so pretty tempting, with all its extra features.
Unless you need the software features (Windows Sonic is good enough for games) or 600 ohm headphone amp, I’d go with the ES100.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,316 of 2,345
Unless you need the software features (Windows Sonic is good enough for games) or 600 ohm headphone amp, I’d go with the ES100.

The gaming software would just be a bonus. Primarily for replacement/upgrade over my Fiio A3 to drive IEM's of the pc. Bt would just be nice when walking around the house. Is your recommendation primarily based on portability? Or does the ES100 work good, as dac/amp wired?

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,317 of 2,345
The gaming software would just be a bonus. Primarily for replacement/upgrade over my Fiio A3 to drive IEM's of the pc. Bt would just be nice when walking around the house. Is your recommendation primarily based on portability? Or does the ES100 work good, as dac/amp wired?
Not the guy you are responding to but as an owner of both, the es100 is better in every metric. The e5 gets very warm, short battery life, less feature rich software, lesser bt range, much larger... you get the picture.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,318 of 2,345
Not the guy you are responding to but as an owner of both, the es100 is better in every metric. The e5 gets very warm, short battery life, less feature rich software, lesser bt range, much larger... you get the picture.
Got it, thank you (both). Found a great deal on used sennheiser amp + 660s headphone. So I will play with those and wait for a new flash sale on the es100.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #2,319 of 2,345
This make sense to me.

Now I test everything , my e5 can connect to my computer use as dac , can connect to my android mobile for amp.

Only thing that is not working is line input on e5 when work with my fiio x3. That hurt.

An old thread perhaps, but I just had the same issue and found the answer so thought I'd post it.

Getting very frustrated that the line in was not working on my E5, I had more or less given up thinking it was faulty and now far too late to do anything about it.

In the PC E5 software interface you have to go to the Headphones/Speaker configuration and set it to Direct. Only then did the line in come to life on mine.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #2,320 of 2,345
photo courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/SoundBlasterE5/photos/pcb.901273176591848/901272853258547/

Looks like the left headphone jack is less distance from the headphone amp chip. Probably the better choice even though one probably couldn't distinguish the difference.

I guess while I'm at it, I'll post the other two photos from facebook, just for convenience.
On the pic of the bottom of the pcb, that tiny chip on the bottom surrounded by yellow capacitors with "AIF BCA" looks terribly familiar. I cannot remember what opamp it is.

May 5, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #2,321 of 2,345
Hi All,

I just spent several hours reading most of this thread, thanks for all the contributions. I thought I'd add my 2c.
I was looking to see if it might be worth it to upgrade from my E5 to something higher end, and looking at what other people were comparing it to. I moved upto the E5 from a FiiO E17/E09K combo a few years back.
Maybe the FiiO Q5 or iFi xDSD could convince me, I'll have to sound test them though. (which I'm going to do in a local shop this week)

I was also looking at whether I might be better off investing in some better CANS, and problem is, after reading the thread and doing some more of my own extensive listening tests, I just can't see much of a benefit in changing anything.
It seems like i've hit end game with my current combos of equipment for what I can justify spending on stuff. Until I audition Q5 and the iFi xDSD I wont know for sure but it sounds like diminishing returns to me.

The E5 pairs really well with my 2003 HD600's (still going strong after 15 years) and Sony MDR-1ADAC via analog.
In fact the E5 is a match made in heaven with the MDR-1ADAC. The builtin DAC in the Sony MDR-1ADAC CANS is smoother in the top end but too laid back and veiled, while the E5 restores the presence and sparkle and adds significant drive and punch, without harshing my mellow or bleeding my ears, and without needing any EQ they really shine. The HD600 can be driven with a bit of 60HZ EQ and still sound nice and clean and open.

I have the Beats Studio3 and the Air Pods for ultimate light duties, working around the yard or in the garage or out and about casual listening.

Sooooo, the moral of the story is, there isnt really an end game audio rig solution, it's what ever the mood of music is or activity that determines the right Rig for the job. But I do have to say the most versatile and enjoyable setup is the E5 with Sony MDR-1ADAC.

Anyway that's my 2c on the E5 after what must be nearly 3 or 4 years of heavy use.

I must say after reading somewhere around that they are not doing an E6 to come out alongside the G6, but instead something else that might suit people wanting an upgrade from E5.
I eagerly await Creative releasing an alternative to the E5 later this year that hopefully does DSD.

Oh yeah... and the E5 does do more than 16/44 on iPhone too.. despite what specs I've seen published around. Maybe with Apple Music it's limited to that but with Neutron on iPhone XS Max it will do upto 24/96 no problem.
SBE5 iPhone XS Max sample rate by Hilton, on Flickr

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #2,322 of 2,345
I've read that the E5 is an upgrade from E17k, according to one Amazon reviewer.
Endgame?
Not this cheap stuff, I think, but I'm not interested in going that far with portable gear, though I've done it anyway, lol! I'm very interested in the JVC SU-AX7, I like what I've read in Google-Translate-translated Japanese impressions on the unit.
Ray Samuels gear is no joke, as another example; it's pricey due to being American instead of Chinese, but the quality is quite there, I've tried a few units but have only kept a P-51 Mustang. E17k and E18 have nice headamps, but not on par with my Mustang or Meier Corda Stepdance, be it with my low-impedance headphones or my HD650 and DT770pro-250ohm. E17k's DAC is noticeably lower fidelity than my iBasso D7, though the D7 isn't quite as portable with its lack of a battery.
But like you said, it depends on what the job is and what the right rig is for the desired result.

I don't like the TPA6120 sound, that's E5's headphone output buffer, but at least it has a line-out. The line-in recording option also interests me mildly. I'm mostly just interested in seeing what Creative cooked up in the E5 - as soon as I get a unit that isn't completely dead out of the box, good grief.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #2,323 of 2,345
I'm very new to this game, and I decided on the Soundblaster E5 as my first dac/amp as I was able to get a used one for around £35 ( that's around $45 as I write this) which is way under it's retail. Paired with the Monoprice M1060 headphones( which I also snagged for a fairly low price in comparison to the retail) I am definitely hearing improvements in all aspects of the headphone. My only real question is, am i limiting the potential of the M1060 drivers by using the E5? During my research, I read on multiple sites that the M1060s are quite easy to drive, but definitely shine when paired with a DAC/amp. The e5 is a nice little thing but it is far from perfect and isn't without it's issues.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #2,324 of 2,345
On the pic of the bottom of the pcb, that tiny chip on the bottom surrounded by yellow capacitors with "AIF BCA" looks terribly familiar. I cannot remember what opamp it is.

It is not technically an opamp, but a headphone amplifier chip by Maxim Integrated, the MAX97220 - one of the most common 'one chip' solution for headphone output stage that you can find on many gears, from entry to mid-end DAP as well as headphone amp and DAC/amp.

Jun 22, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #2,325 of 2,345
I'm very new to this game, and I decided on the Soundblaster E5 as my first dac/amp as I was able to get a used one for around £35 ( that's around $45 as I write this) which is way under it's retail. Paired with the Monoprice M1060 headphones( which I also snagged for a fairly low price in comparison to the retail) I am definitely hearing improvements in all aspects of the headphone. My only real question is, am i limiting the potential of the M1060 drivers by using the E5? During my research, I read on multiple sites that the M1060s are quite easy to drive, but definitely shine when paired with a DAC/amp. The e5 is a nice little thing but it is far from perfect and isn't without it's issues.
I owned the E5 briefly and overall was happy with it. It certainly offers a solid performance to cost return. If the specifications of the M1060 (which I also had on hand for a time) suggest that the E5 can drive them well without clipping or distortion, and you like what you are hearing I would say that indicates that things are fine. The price you paid is fantastic without a doubt. I would suggest turning off as much of the DSP the E5 has as you can. If you need DSP and you use something like JRiver, or Foobar2000 as a player, I would suggest using the DSP features built into the software.

Enjoy the E5, but I would bet that eventually you will want to try another sound signature, and that is perfectly fine and a big part of this hobby. Moving to new gear isn't always about technical improvement, often moves are side grades, and even some down grades, but you get to enjoy learning what other signatures are out there and what you like or don't like. Take care of your gear, buy used and this hobby can be affordable and you can scale it to fit where your economic means are at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back