Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 25, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #2,161 of 2,345
  I just got my E5 Xmas gift.  The USB output is very muffled/ poor audio quality.  The optical output is great, but I lose volume control.  Using on a iMac and all software/firmware is current.  I messed around with Midi settings too- no dice.  Searched this thread for similar.  

Thoughts anyone?  Thanks in advance,
JD

have you tried to clean up the usb connector (cleaning up the pins) :wink:
I use contact cleaner to clean up my usb ports using cotton buds

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #2,162 of 2,345
  You mean USB input and optical input, right?
Did you try to disable SBX and check if there are existing settings active? Confirm that the E5 application works correctly by enabling/disabling effects.
The E5 produces a pretty clear sound for me (I use no SBX or other tweaks - just straight audio).
What bitrate your PC is feeding the E5 with?DUH!

Doh!  You are right sir- I meant inputs.  All good ideas and already checked and tried at various settings.  SBX has no effect via USB, works with optical.  Tried several bit rates in Midi settings.  I have a pretty high-resolution desktop system so the difference is night and day.

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #2,164 of 2,345
Doh!  You are right sir- I meant inputs.  All good ideas and already checked and tried at various settings.  SBX has no effect via USB, works with optical.  Tried several bit rates in Midi settings.  I have a pretty high-resolution desktop system so the difference is night and day.

What makes you think SBX has no effect when the E5 is fed via USB?

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,165 of 2,345
Alright, i just got the soundblaster e5. I had the e1 previously because my computers mic and output was seriously broken, but  during the creative christmas sale i upgraded. my concern is that the volume nob changes the volume in windows and not on the amp. With the e1 i kept the windows sound on full and the e1 sound really low. This is the optimal way to get the best sound quality, but i cant seem to do that with the e5. Anybody know how i can seperate this? i need to connect via usb because of my computers bad soundcard. sorry about grammer

sorry for double post cant actually figure outy how to delete it
deadhorse.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,166 of 2,345
Alright, i just got the soundblaster e5. I had the e1 previously because my computers mic and output was seriously broken, but  during the creative christmas sale i upgraded. my concern is that the volume nob changes the volume in windows and not on the amp. With the e1 i kept the windows sound on full and the e1 sound really low. This is the optimal way to get the best sound quality, but i cant seem to do that with the e5. Anybody know how i can seperate this? i need to connect via usb because of my computers bad soundcard. sorry about grammer

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,168 of 2,345
Sometime I just need a new toy :wink:
Building up this mini 4WD while streaming tidal hifi from my smartphone is just another way of enjoying life

(Actually it is a revenge for my childhood time :wink: )

wah tamiya ! I sure miss my childhood emperor and shooting stars after what u have posted...

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,169 of 2,345
wah tamiya ! I sure miss my childhood emperor and shooting stars after what u have posted...

Get yourself a brand new Rise Emperor and Shooting Proud Star (both are dash' new models) and then build them while listening to your favourite tunes :wink:

A bit awkward when I play at mini 4WD tracks, but most people playing mini 4WD at my area are people above age 25++ :wink:

I spent around idr 2.750.000 (usd 203) for building that dancing doll T.T

But worth it :wink:

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,170 of 2,345
Get yourself a brand new Rise Emperor and Shooting Proud Star (both are dash' new models) and then build them while listening to your favourite tunes :wink:

A bit awkward when I play at mini 4WD tracks, but most people playing mini 4WD at my area are people above age 25++ :wink:

I spent around idr 2.750.000 (usd 203) for building that dancing doll T.T

But worth it :wink:

My tamiya modding days has passed 25 years ago.. it's difficult to rekindle those affectionate passion on modding these little machines

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,171 of 2,345
What makes you think SBX has no effect when the E5 is fed via USB?

Um, because on or off I can hear no diff with USB.  With optical SBX engagement is quite pronounced.  Now unit is generating a high-pitched background tone.  Hmmmm. 

Could someone who is using an E5 with a Mac running El Capitan or Sierra please post exact settings for Midi and the SB app that works well for them?  Thanks a ton,
JD

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #2,172 of 2,345
  Um, because on or off I can hear no diff with USB.  With optical SBX engagement is quite pronounced.  Now unit is generating a high-pitched background tone.  Hmmmm. 

Could someone who is using an E5 with a Mac running El Capitan or Sierra please post exact settings for Midi and the SB app that works well for them?  Thanks a ton,
JD

SBX is built in into the e5. All audio processing is done within the e5 and output straight to your headphone. So it shouldn't have any difference when using optical and usb. If you hear any differences, please try to clean up (uninstall) the driver and software and install it again.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #2,173 of 2,345

sorry for double post cant actually figure outy how to delete it
deadhorse.gif

Hi,

I believe the e1 use analog volume slider while the e5 use diginal volume nob. I do not have the e1 and did not read much about it. However I suspect that the window volume controller will manage the volume of the amp inside e1 using digital signal, while the slider use analog signal (could be a separate ic from the amp) to control it. I read a report from reddit said: "The E1 has some distinct noise at the top of its volume slider". This could be what you means.

Every devices has flaws. So the workaround that apply to one device might not suit other devices. The e5 control volume digitally with all input (usb, usb host, bluetooth, optical) so you can't do what you used to do with e1. However, trust your ear, not what you read online. Sound is very subjective.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #2,174 of 2,345
bf24ac31fb2350c6cd5d1805c2be26aa.jpg
83aa0a3a1353ed1fc962b447230865ab.jpg

I've found the EQ on the e5 to be quite capable, and currently use it as frequency reeponse compensation. The above response have been tuned first according to the Olive-Welti compensation curve, then manually tuned to incorporate a bit of loudness compensation, perfect for listening at moderate volume.

I believe e5 has reserved some dynamic range for the mixer / effects, so I didn't bother pushing everything below 0dB, those who think otherwise can adjust as they see fit.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #2,175 of 2,345
Hello

Is there anyone who still own Creative Soundblaster X-Fi HD with Pono Pre-amp?
I was thinking of using this combo =

Xiaomi Redmi 2 android phone with USB Audio Player Pro app installed -> usb otg -> Creative Soundblaster X-Fi HD -> optical line out from X-Fi to optical line in E5 -> E5 -> headphone

My purpose is to listen songs from tidal's HD videos (they have 48 kHz output, while the audio the best I can get is 44 kHz )
The issue I'm facing right now : everytime I connect E5 using custom usb cable (micro usb to micro usb) to my android phone, the built in mic is automatically activated and it's quite annoying.
My workaround is to disable the built in mic (using another android phone, connected to the E5 using bluetooth) and then fire up the USB audio player pro app inside my redmi 2 phone.

(I will post some pics when my 4G connection is stable :wink: )

So before I snatch one of those X-Fi thing, I want to know the result.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back