Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
May 29, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,696 of 2,345
Yes that's what I was thinking. Just to make use of the eq and all those cool settings. Would fit perfectly with mojo. I could possibly stack it next to the Mojo, since they are both small and it wouldn't increase the overall thickness.

Doesn't the EQ work only when it is used as a DAC? Are you saying you would use the E1 as a DAC from (computer? phone?) and the Mojo as an amp?

May 29, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,697 of 2,345
Yes that's what I was thinking. Just to make use of the eq and all those cool settings. Would fit perfectly with mojo. I could possibly stack it next to the Mojo, since they are both small and it wouldn't increase the overall thickness.

​Yeah, I wish I didn't sell my mojo now.  But I can buy another one.  It just wasn't practical for me to stack both the E5 and mojo, and I like the bass on the E5 better.

The combination of the Onkyo X1/E5/ASG 2.5 with moon audio cables is just what I'm looking for.  I got pretty lucky find my ideal sound really early, and I didn't waste too much money on equipment I didn't like. 

May 29, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,698 of 2,345

Doesn't the EQ work only when it is used as a DAC? Are you saying you would use the E1 as a DAC from (computer? phone?) and the Mojo as an amp?  We usually run phone/mojo/E5.  mojo to E5 with "jumper" cables.

​I'm not 100% sure. You can bypass the DAC on the E5 by using the "jumper" cable, 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male.  headphone out on the source, to line in on the E5 or E1.  I'll have to test if it works on the E1.

May 30, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #1,702 of 2,345
Just bought an E5 and currently reading through this thread. Managed to connect it via USB OTG to my mobile phone (HTC One M8), and was playing music files using the demo version of USB Audio Player Pro. For some reason the inbuilt microphones on the E5 became active, and any sounds they picked up were added to the sound coming through to the headphones.

I have tried switching the microphones off with Creative E-Series Control Panel but it made no difference. This doesn't happen if the E5 is just connected to the PC with a standard USB cable. Can anyone advise if this is normal, or if there is a way to disable the inbuilt microphones, thank you.

May 30, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #1,703 of 2,345
There is an app you can download to control it via the phone when ist connected, that might help.
I didnt have this issue with the iphone.

May 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,704 of 2,345
  Just bought an E5 and currently reading through this thread. Managed to connect it via USB OTG to my mobile phone (HTC One M8), and was playing music files using the demo version of USB Audio Player Pro. For some reason the inbuilt microphones on the E5 became active, and any sounds they picked up were added to the sound coming through to the headphones.

I have tried switching the microphones off with Creative E-Series Control Panel but it made no difference. This doesn't happen if the E5 is just connected to the PC with a standard USB cable. Can anyone advise if this is normal, or if there is a way to disable the inbuilt microphones, thank you.

I think there are 2 different mixer pages, one for recording, and one for playback.  Check there, and you can access a few more settings on the computer than you can with the app.​

May 30, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,705 of 2,345
I'm not sure on the E1 yet.  It's definitely not as good as the E5.  I am not sure if it is the lack of power, or if something is different.  It did make my note 4 sound much better on a bike ride today with the ASG Harmony, which is why I bought it.  I am not sure if the EQ works when using the IC yet, I won't have the time to mess with everything for a while.  I'll let you know when I figure it out though.

Again it might be a good edition to some amps if the EQ works independently.

Every time I do listen to something else besides the E5, it only confirms how good the E5 is though. 

May 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #1,708 of 2,345
Every time after I use it as a dac I have to connect my phone to it and change it to line in instead of mic in. It reverts to mic in if u use it as a dac

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,709 of 2,345
Does anyone know if this works with Windows 10 smartphones?

I have a feeling it doesn't, since it seems to require a driver for Windows 10 PC's, correct?

Windows 10 for smartphones does have USB OTG support, and since the E5 supports OTG for Android and iOS, I am hoping it might just work with my Lumia 640 on Windows 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back