Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Mar 17, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #1,368 of 2,345
Hey guys, just found this topic where you might better help me... I'll copy paste my message from the DT990 thread:
I received my DT990 pro 250 ohm yesterday. I'm using it with a Sound Blaster E5 as a dac. That dac/amp got a switch "low gain / high gain" which supposedly should be used based on the impedance. The low one is for 0-120 ohm headphones while the high one is for 120-600 ohm. My issue is that if I use the high gain I have to set the volume of my computer on 10% else the volume will blow my ears.
Anyone encountered the same issue ? DO you have any suggestion ? Should I just use the low gain position on the dac ?
Thanks for your help !

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #1,369 of 2,345
Do you know if they have added virtual 7.1 over optical yet, by the way?

No DD decoding yet.

Hey guys, just found this topic where you might better help me... I'll copy paste my message from the DT990 thread:
I received my DT990 pro 250 ohm yesterday. I'm using it with a Sound Blaster E5 as a dac. That dac/amp got a switch "low gain / high gain" which supposedly should be used based on the impedance. The low one is for 0-120 ohm headphones while the high one is for 120-600 ohm. My issue is that if I use the high gain I have to set the volume of my computer on 10% else the volume will blow my ears.
Anyone encountered the same issue ? DO you have any suggestion ? Should I just use the low gain position on the dac ?
Thanks for your help !

Use the minimum gain for a comfortable volume. So use low gain unless you are going beyond 80% volume often.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/all-about-gain.html

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #1,370 of 2,345
Silly question, perhaps a brilliant question: can you use the E5's duel inputs as a "balanced mode"? Or would that just give you a "balanced dual mono" mode?

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,371 of 2,345
Hey folks,

Been doing a lot of research in regards to headphones, DACs, amps, etc lately. I am fairly certain I want to pick up an E5. I am probably gonna buy a set of HD558's and a ModMic soon. I like the idea of getting clean, amplified audio from my PC and Xbox at the same time, while being able to have my phone paired via Bluetooth for talking, or streaming audio while gaming. Being able to plug in a second set of cans if a friends over is cool too!

I need to know if it's possible to use Xbox party chat with this setup though. In order to enjoy the best sound I know I need to use toslink from the back of the Xbox into the E5 input. I've heard that plugging in anything to the 3.5mm Jack on the Xbox controller disables sound via any other means though. I was hoping I'd be able to just plug the ModMic into the controller and receive all other sound (game audio and chat audio mixed) via toslink, since there is a mixer in the settings. Is there a way to accomplish what I want? If not, is the PS4 capable of this?

Then I could just swap the ModMic cable between the controller while playing Xbox or the input on the E5 when gaming or doing whatever else on the PC. I did hear in one review that the quality of the digital signal going into the E5 is better using toslink as opposed to USB as well. Hopefully there isn't much variance so I can keep my console (toslink) and PC(USB) connected to the E5 at the same time.

Lastly, I currently own a pair of HD380's that I use with my Roland electric drum kit. They sound awesome for that but leave a lot to be desired when plugged into my G4 phone. Is the DAC/AMP on this phone just garbage? Until I get the HD558's these are the only decent cans I've got but they sound pretty bad connected to the phone.

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,372 of 2,345
Silly question, perhaps a brilliant question: can you use the E5's duel inputs as a "balanced mode"? Or would that just give you a "balanced dual mono" mode?

There's only one analog input, the other 3.5mm port is an analog/mini-toslink output. You can use both digital inputs simultaneously but because device volume controls the amp's volume, it's not ideal.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,373 of 2,345
Hey, don't mean to jump in here without saying hello first, but I was curious what you guys thought was the best of these 3:

Audioengine D1

FiiO E12 Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier
Orb Audio Booster 50 Watt Mini Integrated Amplifier With Digital Input and Remote Control

I've heard more about the FiiO more than any other amp.

Also notice the sound blaster amp has a digital out, but it doesn't look square or shaped like the inputs on the amps that I listed. Is that a different connection?  I'm looking for one with a usb connection and digital out connection (pc & digital out combined), for 300 ohm headphones

Thanks

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #1,374 of 2,345
Hey, don't mean to jump in here without saying hello first, but I was curious what you guys thought was the best of these 3:

Audioengine D1

FiiO E12 Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier
Orb Audio Booster 50 Watt Mini Integrated Amplifier With Digital Input and Remote Control

I've heard more about the FiiO more than any other amp.

Also notice the sound blaster amp has a digital out, but it doesn't look square or shaped like the inputs on the amps that I listed. Is that a different connection?  I'm looking for one with a usb connection and digital out connection (pc & digital out combined), for 300 ohm headphones

Thanks

Don't have any opinions on those devices. But the line output port is mini-toslink. It's a hybrid port that does analog line output as well as digital output with an adapter that's easy to find, though a cable with a mini-toslink end comes with the E5.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,375 of 2,345
That's what I'm wondering about the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc - is that line-in S/PDIF - for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Toslink-Digital-Connectors-Strain-Relief/dp/B00T8HWVEY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1458265768&sr=1-3&keywords=3.5+line+out+to+toslink

Or, is it only the FiiO E17 with the S/PDIF line in for audio?

Would that work for a digital optical out to the amp?

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,376 of 2,345
I'm trying to figure out if the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc has a S/PDIF Optical line in for a 'Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable'

I know for a fact that the Audioengine D1 does, but that the FiiO has more positive reviews about the E12.

Also, the Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC 600 ohm Headphone Amplifier has a optical line that would probably work but I dont like the $200 price.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,377 of 2,345
  I'm trying to figure out if the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc has a S/PDIF Optical line in for a 'Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable'

I know for a fact that the Audioengine D1 does, but that the FiiO has more positive reviews about the E12.

Also, the Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC 600 ohm Headphone Amplifier has a optical line that would probably work but I dont like the $200 price.

You're a bit off point with your comparison - the E12 is a headphone amp. The E5 is a DAC and headphone amp. Toslink/Optical is a digital signal, so you'll need to convert it to analog somehow. The E12 will never, and shouldn't, accept Optical.

Perhaps check out the FiiO E18K/E17, as you'll need a DAC and headphone amp combo like the E5. Not sure about optical, however. I sold my E18K to get the E5. The E5 has many, many more features. It also has many more quirks, but many more features.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,378 of 2,345
There's only one analog input, the other 3.5mm port is an analog/mini-toslink output. You can use both digital inputs simultaneously but because device volume controls the amp's volume, it's not ideal.

Sorry, I meant is there a way to plug each side of a balanced headphone into each of the individual headphone jacks. Silly, but I'm curious. If it somehow works, this is by far the least expensive headphone amp with a balanced operation.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #1,380 of 2,345
Sorry, I meant is there a way to plug each side of a balanced headphone into each of the individual headphone jacks. Silly, but I'm curious. If it somehow works, this is by far the least expensive headphone amp with a balanced operation.

Not really, the 2 headphone outs are wired in parallel and in phase, not possible unless you choose to drive a transformer with a center tapped secondary, then drive your headphones through that transformer. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, this may or may not provide any benefits, but if you are inclined, get yourself a couple of 600:4/8 transformers and hook it up to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back