Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Nov 1, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,051 of 2,345
  Just to be sure, what i meant is using LOD cable, plug 1 end into E5 heaphone out and other end into E5 line-in or using mic plug into E5 line-in to measure headphone plug into E5 headphone out. My E5 Frequency response roll off at 200hz on both ARTA and REW ( i got full range using E5 headphone out and Laptop line-in with both LOD and mic).
Sorry, English isnt my first language.

What you are referring is usually called a 'loop back' test.

The reason that E5 doesn't seem to perform well in a loop back test is probably due to its internal design. As far as I can tell, trying to use E5 to record it own output always result in very significant distortion, even over a headphone to an actual mic. The ADC and DAC seems to interfere with each other during a loop back.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,052 of 2,345
I wonder is this amp/dac better than Fiio E10K and SMSL SD-793II ? I'm looking for a step up from crappy on-board audio but don't know what to get...

It would be great if I could run my headphones as well as my 2.1 Logitech Z4 speakers...

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,056 of 2,345
new firmware release, 151105

http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nDriverType=4#type_4

All they say is:

What's New:
  1. Support What-U-Hear recording with external microphone
  2. Fixed connectivity issue with iOS 9 devices
  3. Bug fixes

KUDOS creative for continuing to support your devices with updates!

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,057 of 2,345
My biggest pet peeve with the E5 is how it interferes with the power saving settings of a windows box (Win 7 or Win 10).

As long as you don't open the SB E-Series control panel all is normal. In my case my monitor goes to sleep after 20 minutes

As soon as you open it to let's say pick a different profile, the monitor will stay on infinitive.

It is beyond me why a friggin' audio app is designed to do that. Every game or video app also turns screen saver and power settings off, however, those apps turn it back to the previous value, which is proper design.

The E5 software does not. Downright stupid.

Let's see if they actually read and fixed it....

Cheers.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,058 of 2,345

All they say is:

[COLOR=232D2F]What's New:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=232D2F]
  • Support What-U-Hear recording with external microphone
  • Fixed connectivity issue with iOS 9 devices
  • Bug fixes
[/COLOR]

Very glad to hear about this. I was beginning to think I may be the ONLY person who had an iOS 9 connectivity issue.

Thanks for the notification.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #1,059 of 2,345
I wonder is this amp/dac better than Fiio E10K and SMSL SD-793II ? I'm looking for a step up from crappy on-board audio but don't know what to get...

It would be great if I could run my headphones as well as my 2.1 Logitech Z4 speakers...

I can't speak to the SQ vs the E10K, but I'm confident they both get the job done with the E5 having more features and the ability to be a mobile DAC/AMP.

The SMSL SD-793II doesn't have USB so probably won't work with your computer unless it has SPDIF out or you can use  coaxial digital. This limits the SMSL SD-793II flexibility and usefulness. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,063 of 2,345

All they say is:

[COLOR=232D2F]What's New:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=232D2F]
  • Support What-U-Hear recording with external microphone
  • Fixed connectivity issue with iOS 9 devices
  • Bug fixes
[/COLOR]

Installed the firmware update yesterday and VIOLA my connect issues via Bluetooth have disappeared. Now I can tweak with SB Central when using BT.

I can say Creative Labs does respond promptly to issues as they arise. I couldn't be happier with their support.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,065 of 2,345
Hello all. Been reading here for awhile and have found a bunch of great info. I am looking to purchase the E5 mainly for mobile use with IPhone 6. I cant find an answer as to whether the SBX and EQ will work while listening music VIA Pandora. Can anyone confirm if it will work?
I really like the fact it has an EQ so I can tweak that depending on the music I am listening to. I have been in to car/ home audio for over 25 years and have gotten spoiled by being able to adjust EQ settings. I am trying to decide between the E5, Fiio E12A and the Teac HA-P50. If the E5 will work with Pandora, that will probably be my choice.

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back