Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Sep 13, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #976 of 2,345

Disable your BT first, then uninstall + reinstall the app. When it is correctly installed over the USB Host port, it should ask you to install an extra app / driver. Then it should work.

Thanks, it worked, I previously installed the app before I even connect to the E5 hence it didn't show me some of the option like using the USB accessory.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #977 of 2,345
Anyone used the E5 with sensitive IEMs? Any hiss? How was the volume control?

very minimal when used in usb mode, but noise floor rises significantly if bluetooth is connected / not mute in the mixer.

I used to think the SNR is mediocre at best, but it turns out I had bluetooth connected in the background and not playing anything, but this introduced audible hiss.

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #980 of 2,345
In order to EQ an analog signal inputted through line in, the Signal Goes through the ADC then DAC then AMP and then is outputted, In other words, the EQ is digital and not analog, correct ? and also, by going through ADC and DAC, there is added noise and distortion, right ? but how much?

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #981 of 2,345
In order to EQ an analog signal inputted through line in, the Signal Goes through the ADC then DAC then AMP and then is outputted, In other words, the EQ is digital and not analog, correct ? and also, by going through ADC and DAC, there is added noise and distortion, right ? but how much?

EQ is digital and anything that comes in thru line-in has adc->dsp/digital attenuation->dac, and adds distortion. Check Soomal for measurements, it's measurable but not terrible.

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #982 of 2,345
the Focusrite Scarlette SOLO has a chip with both ADC and DAC in it, the ADC and DAC chips in E5 are separate, I was wondering if one design is superior to the other...(I emailed Focusrite and they said the Mic in on their unit goes through ADC-DAC chip and then is outputted through the RCA outs, they said the distortion is minimal and negligible)

By the way, Has any of you tried the MIC in with a nice condenser microphone ? 

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #983 of 2,345
This might somewhat address your question:

Original 1kHz

Pass through E5

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #985 of 2,345
Hi guys, using an iPod 5G, I can't access the additional functions like EQ, SBX, etc. when connected via BT. I thought I read that this was possible (but perhaps it's on Android only and not iOS?). I've tried removing/reinstalling the SB Central app as well as re-pairing but that didn't work. Only when I'm connected via lightning cable can I access these functions in the app... Any ideas?

Thx!,
Tim

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #986 of 2,345
On massdrop.com $149

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #987 of 2,345
Yes, stumbled across that last night and grabbed. Just two days left now.

I also picked up a lightly used JDS Labs C5D from ebay. First DAC/AMP (other than a Fiio E5 years back). Kind of impulse buys as the prices where pretty good and I recently gifted myself a used SE846 for my B-Day.

Now to decide if I'm going to keep both.

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #988 of 2,345
I've just bought an E5 and am waiting for it to arrive.

Quick question: I plan to connect the E5 to my Xperia Z3. Assuming I update the E5 to the latest firmware, am I right in thinking that a micro usb to micro usb cable will enable the Z3 to pass 24/96 audio to the E5?

Thanks

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #989 of 2,345
I've just bought an E5 and am waiting for it to arrive.

Quick question: I plan to connect the E5 to my Xperia Z3. Assuming I update the E5 to the latest firmware, am I right in thinking that a micro usb to micro usb cable will enable the Z3 to pass 24/96 audio to the E5?

Thanks

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back