Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Sep 1, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #961 of 2,345
... Volume sliders are a terrible idea and especially with anything that has high power output. Wish the E series hadn't been botched so much. So many problems.

I won't say slider by itself is a terrible idea, but the way it was designed (*slightly sticking out on the side) does make it more problematic. If it is recessed and not easy to push on, I'll think it is completely fine for my taste.

p/s: As I view through the Z Review's video, many issues / complaints seems to cause by the reviewer's lack of interest to read the user manual carefully (or even the box, when he is referring the lack of mentioning of mic though it is clearly printed on the box).

p/s 2: I don't think there is a 'hidden DSP' so to speak - but I do notice a volume lowering when enabling the audio enhancement option. My guess is Window is basically lowering the digital headroom as a safety precaution to avoid clipping.

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #962 of 2,345
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I won't say slider by itself is a terrible idea, but the way it was designed (*slightly sticking out on the side) does make it more problematic. If it is recessed and not easy to push on, I'll think it is completely fine for my taste.

p/s: As I view through the Z Review's video, many issues / complaints seems to cause by the reviewer's lack of interest to read the user manual carefully (or even the box, when he is referring the lack of mentioning of mic though it is clearly printed on the box).

p/s 2: I don't think there is a 'hidden DSP' so to speak - but I do notice a volume lowering when enabling the audio enhancement option. My guess is Window is basically lowering the digital headroom as a safety precaution to avoid clipping.

The problem is high power output and a short range of movement is a terrible idea. I dread to think what the E1 is like with sensitive IEMs.

The problems with the E1 not recognizing the TRRS mic is an issue. The software failing to install on Windows 10 is an issue.

For the hidden DSP you could play a music track, record the digital output and then compare the two. I'll do this in the next few days for the X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #963 of 2,345

The problem is high power output and a short range of movement is a terrible idea. I dread to think what the E1 is like with sensitive IEMs.

The problems with the E1 not recognizing the TRRS mic is an issue. The software failing to install on Windows 10 is an issue.

For the hidden DSP you could play a music track, record the digital output and then compare the two. I'll do this in the next few days for the X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.

I used E1 with a few fairly sensitive IEM - no problem for me. Remember that E1 isn't just designed for PC usage but also smartphone, and many smartphone doesn't have that strong an output to start with. If you couple the strong output of E1 with the typically weak output of smartphone, they will balance each other out. As for PC, you can always lower the digital volume first to limit the max volume you can get on E1's slider. Since it is 24bit, there is nothing to worry about on losing resolution. Of source a dedicated gain switch will be even better - but as far as practically goes, E1's slider really isn't that bad. In fact, better than E3's digital volume control IMO.

Don't see TRRS mic is that big of a deal - sure it is an inconvenient. But the same can be said by those who use typical PC headset's dual 3.5mm (separated 3.mic and sound) if the TRRS socket is used. I just don't see how one option is going to work for everyone.

I agree W10 installation is an issue, which is why I didn't bother to upgrade to W10 just yet but instead stick to W8.1 for now. Given how young W10 still is. I'll say glitch should be somewhat expected for all the early adopter. Concerning but not the end of the world.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #964 of 2,345
Has anyone tried bluetooth pairing with a APT-X Low Latency transmitter and has no issues? I have been using the E5 with a Jays Apt-X transmitter (No LL) with no issues. But I recently got a Avantree Saturn Pro which supports Low Latency.  However, I could not get it to pair with the E5. Tried many times, switching each unit into paring mode at different times. The sound blaster after 30secs or 1 min will just time out and go to a solid blue indicator. The avantree will stay in pairing mode all the way. 

I have 2 units of the avantree and they work with each other. I do not have any other device to see what else to try. Any ideas?

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #965 of 2,345
Mine pairs nicely with several AptX devices, such as LG G3, G4 and CSR dongle. I have a Sennheiser BTD-500 but didn't try with that yet, can's see any reasons why it wouldn't work though. Make sure your E5 is not connecting to something else as a blue stable light seems to indicate exactly that.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #966 of 2,345
  Has anyone tried bluetooth pairing with a APT-X Low Latency transmitter and has no issues? I have been using the E5 with a Jays Apt-X transmitter (No LL) with no issues. But I recently got a Avantree Saturn Pro which supports Low Latency.  However, I could not get it to pair with the E5. Tried many times, switching each unit into paring mode at different times. The sound blaster after 30secs or 1 min will just time out and go to a solid blue indicator. The avantree will stay in pairing mode all the way. 

I have 2 units of the avantree and they work with each other. I do not have any other device to see what else to try. Any ideas?

Make sure you have your Avantree set to TX mode.

I have both Creative BT-D1 (aptX) and BT-W2 (aptX-LL). They work just fine with E5.

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #967 of 2,345
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum, so pardon if I'm asking something that already was answered -- search didn't reveal anything.

I'm connecting the E5 to my Note 3 via OTG cable coupled with the mini USB cable (Note 3 <-- OTG <--- miniUSB <--- E5).
USB Audio Player Pro does see the E5 and plays through it, but shows "DAC: 44100 kHz" only.
What should I do to enjoy the 192 kHz playback I'm supposed to get?

Also, is there a way to know which mode the E5 plays when it's connected to the computer via the USB?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #968 of 2,345
  Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum, so pardon if I'm asking something that already was answered -- search didn't reveal anything.

I'm connecting the E5 to my Note 3 via OTG cable coupled with the mini USB cable (Note 3 <-- OTG <--- miniUSB <--- E5).
USB Audio Player Pro does see the E5 and plays through it, but shows "DAC: 44100 kHz" only.
What should I do to enjoy the 192 kHz playback I'm supposed to get?

Also, is there a way to know which mode the E5 plays when it's connected to the computer via the USB?

Thanks in advance!

Haven't tested any 192kHz music yet, but I have no problem getting E5 to play back in 96kHz and 88.2kHz mode with either UAPP or HF player, so I assume your problem is probably with your Note 3 or UAPP.

For Windows, you can select which mode to be default in the sound property.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #969 of 2,345
  Mine pairs nicely with several AptX devices, such as LG G3, G4 and CSR dongle. I have a Sennheiser BTD-500 but didn't try with that yet, can's see any reasons why it wouldn't work though. Make sure your E5 is not connecting to something else as a blue stable light seems to indicate exactly that.

I have it currently connected to a Jays APT-x transmitter fine. The Jays is however not low latency. As I am using it mainly for videos, the lip sync is terrible.  I tried switching off the Jays and went into bluetooth pairing mode where the lcd blnks white and blue. It just would not sync with the avantree. Not sure what the problem is.

Make sure you have your Avantree set to TX mode.

I have both Creative BT-D1 (aptX) and BT-W2 (aptX-LL). They work just fine with E5.

It came with with a pair which was prepaired and I tested they worked fine.  I tried both units and made sure each was in TX mode and the paring just would not work.  After 1 min, the E5 would go back into normal bluetooth mode (blue lights) the Avantree would stay in blinking pariing mode until I switch off the unit.  I did contact Avantree and they say it could be that avantree is not comparable with the E5. I would have thought thats the reason it is a standard and both units has the APT-X LL logo..... Not sure what else to try. I even tried have them next to each other and up to 1 meter away during the paring as well. 

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #972 of 2,345
If you want to connect directly your E5 to LG G4, are you able to do so via the default USB cable given in the E5 packaging?

When I connect the E5->USB HOST->Micro USB->LG G4, it only give options on the phone like the phone was connecting to PC.

But when I connect E5->Micro USB->USB OTG Cable->LG G4 then it works.

Is there any firmware which I might need to upgrade to? I download the firmware from the website, it seems to be older 
than the one on my E5, I just bought it during the recent Singapore Comex offer.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #973 of 2,345
  When I connect the E5->USB HOST->Micro USB->LG G4, it only give options on the phone like the phone was connecting to PC.

That usually means you didn't install the Creative Center app from Play Store.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #975 of 2,345
  Yes I installed it. I was able to use it pair E5 to phone via NFC/Bluetooth but not sure if Apt-X is working or not.

Disable your BT first, then uninstall + reinstall the app. When it is correctly installed over the USB Host port, it should ask you to install an extra app / driver. Then it should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back