Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Aug 19, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #946 of 2,345
  hey, I want to save $600 too.  But the reverse is also true, since creative E5 doesn't even have a high end chip, how on earth can they give high quality sound in the 1st place?

it's like saying you have a 3 cylinder engine and wants to win the formula 1 race

now, there is the Pioneer XPA 700 that has the same Toslink input, you think Pioneer can come to the rescue?

More expensive gear is quite often not necessarily better, right?

The FIA regulation clearly dictates engine specs. 3 cylinder engine design is not permitted.

wink.gif

Cheers.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #947 of 2,345
  hey, I want to save $600 too.  But the reverse is also true, since creative E5 doesn't even have a high end chip, how on earth can they give high quality sound in the 1st place?

it's like saying you have a 3 cylinder engine and wants to win the formula 1 race

now, there is the Pioneer XPA 700 that has the same Toslink input, you think Pioneer can come to the rescue?

Now you should know that the DAC chip in E5 isn't a 3 cylinder engine in an F1 racer. It is a very well regarded, top of the line DAC from Cirrus Logic. While extreme powerful, a drag car engine in an F1 racer doesn't mean you'll have a sure winner because that car probably won't corner very well and engine will probably brow up if you run it for more than a couple of minutes. The key is to use the right part for the right job.

Never listen to the Pioneer before and therefore I can't offer you any opinion.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #948 of 2,345
I have a customise low profile lightning to micro USB cable. Can I use this to connect to the micro usb input instead of the usb host port instead? IF I do so, would I lose any of the ios app functionality etc? 

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #949 of 2,345
  I have a customise low profile lightning to micro USB cable. Can I use this to connect to the micro usb input instead of the usb host port instead? IF I do so, would I lose any of the ios app functionality etc? 

If you have an iOS device and what to use the microUSB instead of the regular USB input, you will need to use the Camera Connection Kit from Apple. So the answer is no, you can't use your custom low profiled Lightning-to-microUSB cable.

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #950 of 2,345
so in the manual it says : 

Toggles Micro-USB charging OFF/ON.
- Double-press to turn OFF
- Press again to turn ON

White (blinking): Charging via Micro-USB is disabled

they mean E5's battery will stop getting charged right ?

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #951 of 2,345
i want to buy a DAC or sound card for 70% watching movies 30% listen to music with my laptop.
I found E3 and E5 in internet but cant find where to try them.

I want to know is E5 better than E3? and worth extra money

and how they compare to fiio DAC amp.

I use Ultrasone Hfi 780.

please help me

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #952 of 2,345
so in the manual it says : 

Toggles Micro-USB charging OFF/ON.
- Double-press to turn OFF
- Press again to turn ON

White (blinking): Charging via Micro-USB is disabled

they mean E5's battery will stop getting charged right ?

No, it means that the E5 will stop charging your phone

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #953 of 2,345
No, it means that the E5 will stop charging your phone

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

No, it stop E5 from getting charge. They make it as a quick fix for using E5 with android phone via otg micro usb to micro usb cable, since using the usb host port on E5 with android phone will drain E5 battery to charge the phone and you get less than 1 hour of usage.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #954 of 2,345
"The Sound Blaster X7 features the SB-Axx1™ multi-core Digital Signal Processor (DSP) which is capable of voice processing, audio restoration, proprietary effects processing and is also a certified Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder."

the E5 also has the SB-Axx1 chip, does it mean that it will be able to decode DD with a firmware/driver update ? 

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #955 of 2,345
  "The Sound Blaster X7 features the SB-Axx1™ multi-core Digital Signal Processor (DSP) which is capable of voice processing, audio restoration, proprietary effects processing and is also a certified Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder."

the E5 also has the SB-Axx1 chip, does it mean that it will be able to decode DD with a firmware/driver update ? 

No. It isn't SB-Axx1 can't do Dolby Digital 5.1, but there is only a single stereo DAC in E5 and thus it is limited to left and right channel only.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #956 of 2,345
So how does the X7 work ? the X7 gets Dolby digital 5.1 from a PS4/Xbone one, decodes it, then uses a surround virtualizer[SBX] to turn it into stereo virtual surround that can be outputted through phone out, or possibly line out.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #957 of 2,345
  So how does the X7 work ? the X7 gets Dolby digital 5.1 from a PS4/Xbone one, decodes it, then uses a surround virtualizer[SBX] to turn it into stereo virtual surround that can be outputted through phone out, or possibly line out.

I think the DD 5.1 output is mainly for to X7's speaker output on the back,which is a true 5.1 output. As for the headphone, it is probably SBX as you said.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #958 of 2,345
Mixamp and soundblaster recon3D work in exactly the same way: they decode DD5.1 and then run a surround virtualizer to turn it into stereo surround which can be used with any headohone. Now Mixamp uses dolby headphone while Recon3D uses THX/SBX.

I think X7 works in the exact same way to create virtual surround, on the product page it say the SB-Axx1 is capable of decoding DD5.1 therefore it means the E5 can do the same thing, because it has all the components necessary to do so, SB-Axx1 and SBX can do it perfectly fine, I emailed Creative and asked them, hopefully they can clarify it a bit more.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #959 of 2,345
I'd like to know if the X7 and G5 can work like the Astro Mixamp where they take a Dolby Digital 7.1 signal and then apply virtual surround sound to that multi-channel audio. Would be nice for consoles.

Seems the BlasterX acoustic engine is no longer available to download at blasterx.com

I don't these new products are being released till later this year so it may not matter.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #960 of 2,345
Creative E1 review by Z Reviews.

@DigitalRonyn

User is ZeosPantera on reddit and /r/ZReviews

Impressions were not good. Just to make you aware of the software problem and Windows 10.

Differences in sound when all settings in SBX Control Panel off vs Disable All Enhancements ticked in Windows is also disturbing. Nobody likes hidden DSP. I'll have to try that with with my X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.

Volume sliders are a terrible idea and especially with anything that has high power output. Wish the E series hadn't been botched so much. So many problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back