Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Jun 21, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #826 of 2,345

Ah, as I have suspected - the red part is where you get it wrong. The USB Host mode is only recently added to the E5 via its latest firmware (which is why you don't see it in the E5 manual, as it is written before this update and the info is outdated), and it ONLY applies to E5's microUSB port. The USB-A (full sized) only supports AOA mode (limits to 16/48), which UAPP doesn't support. If you use the USB-A port, you need the official Creative app on the PlayStore.

What you need looks like this, with microUSB on both ends.
kos-cable1_1024x1024.png

I'll be getting an E5 soon. Will this (linked) cable allow for unrestricted playback with a Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4.4.2)?

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #827 of 2,345

I'll be getting an E5 soon. Will this (linked) cable allow for unrestricted playback with a Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4.4.2)?

I am using the same cable from the same eBayer, Don't really know about GS4 but it does work fine with my Xperia Z2.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #828 of 2,345
After 3 days with this unit, i have to say that I really like it.

There are things Creative could be do better.

The manual:
Could be more specific. Also - when was the last time you had to unfold a map? Have you been able to get it back together? C'mon Creative, this was 15 years ago, it is time to get rid of this crap.

The software:
What exactly is the point of being able to create a profile, even importing / exporting and all that jazz if certain settings (Mixer) are not part of that profile. This is pathetic.

The micro USB:
The unit does not like certain cables, which otherwise work as desired. Yes, I am aware that you can have USB cables, which are for charging only. I have two perfectly fine USB cables, which will not work with the E5 but work with everything else just fine. Strange.

My last issue:
I could swear that for the first two days or so, I could have the unit connected to my PC and have my DAP connected as well and the coexisted happily. I really loved that. Listening to my DAP through the E5, hitting pause to take an incoming VoiP call on my PC.
This stopped this morning. Now the input is on the PC no matter what. I have to unplug the PC from the micro port to get music from the DAP.
I cannot figure that one out, maybe somebody else here has an idea?

Cheers.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #829 of 2,345
Can anyone tell me if the Sound blaster android app is accessable and functional over bluetooth, i mean if i connected the E3 to my phone over bluetooth will i be able to use all the functions of app including the EQ, Mic Crystalizer....etc or its limited to USB OTG connection

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #831 of 2,345
Originally Posted by DigitalRonyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely see the point you're making here and appreciate you laying it out visually.

We are however still using an HRTF in the final downmixed result. Despite there being only a stereo source..we're upmixing that stereo source and making a compare between the two channels and making assumptions based on the comparison. It's nowhere near as accurate as having a 5.1 or 7.1 source, but an HRTF is being applied to the end result in headphone mode.

That being said, you are absolutely spot on. The more channels our intake has to deal with, the more realistic and accurate the surround result is going to be. A stereo source is only going to provide so much information that you can base assumptions on.

The basic functionality of our SBX surround over headphones works as follows:

Receive Input from Source Device (Stereo / 5.1 / 7.1) > Upmixer > Apply HRTF based algorithms > Downmix back down to stereo. The more channels (source information) we have to play with..the more convincing and realistic the result is going to be.

The E5 was conceived as a portable headphone amp / dac and thus the original intent was to keep it as "pure" a device as possible with stereo being the spec.

We've seen a lot of demand since launch from users for additional functionality as they are looking for a solution they can use at their desktop as an internal card replacement (with headphones) as well as something they can take on the road. The flexibility of the device and our chipset has allowed us to add additional functionality. Scout Mode being an example of something that our engineers could deploy due to the flexibility of the design and the way the tech utilizes the SBAxx-1 chipset that's in the E5.

We'll keep on improving as we see more requests and the ability with the product to do so.

And just to be clear..my tone here is definitely not combative! I love the fact that there's an extremely knowledgeable base of users here in the forum and this feedback definitely makes its way to our product team. My goal is just to clarify the tech and how we've deployed SBX Surround with the E5.

I have a Xonar U3 that appears as a 7.1 system to Windows once you install the drivers. This is a cheap USB headphone soundcard with Dolby Headphone that is doing what your much more expensive E1/3/5 lineup isn't. It even supports optical out so you can send a Dolby Headphone processed audio stream to whatever DAC you want that has optical input.

Originally Posted by Kodhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't take your response as combative; no worries. I don't want people looking for a true HRTF headphone surround solution to mistake the E5 as being capable of that. And honestly with it's end audience being audiophiles we really don't care about HRTF or gaming features like scout mode. What I personally would have loved to see in the E5 would be L and R cross mixing to better replicate the sound stage of a speaker set up. This doesn't require a lot of processing, it just mixes a little of the left channel into the right, and right into the left and it makes the sound move out of the center of your head and puts it in front of you. There are certain sound effects in music tracks that sound natural on a speaker set up, but make your head hurt on a headphone because in real life your left ear hears sounds that your right ear would hear even if the sound was to the right, but on a headphone since the driver is directly over your ear, it's possible to play a sound in the left headphone and your right ear will never hear it. For instance an audio track that used a slight delay between left channel and right channel, on a speaker system may sound like an echo BOOMboom TATtat. But on a headphone it would cause confusion as the sound appears in left and then right miliseconds apart.

That being said, if Creative Labs wanted to add a true HRTF function to the E5 they need only enable it in the windows driver and let the PC do all the work of encoding surround to headphone. That is what Plantronics does with their Gamecon. The headphone is just a dumb USB device, it has no special processing built in, but the windows driver runs everything through the dolby headphone plugin before rendering it to the headphone's DAC. The driver is detected as a multi channel surround device by windows in order to provide the dolby headphone with surround information. I don't doubt that Creative Labs could easily do that on the driver side without modifying anything in the E5's firmware, but again, I think the emphasis should be kept on audiophile needs and not try to make it a gamer card, you have the Xfi for that.

One other request is that you unlock the other bit and sample rates that conform to the USB audio standard. Without installing Creative's drivers, the E5 is only allowed to use 24bit 48khz sampling with no other options available. My guess is because this is the native bit rate of the digital mixer built into the E5, and when you install the Creative driver it's simply re-converting anything higher or lower, back to 24/48 before sending it to the DAC. I know the DAC chip itself supports 24/192 but you guys obviously have a digital mixer built inline between the USB decoder and the DAC, hence the reason you can't enable a true direct mode. Blu-tooth is always mixed because the digital mixer is always on and can't be turned off, even in 'direct mode'.

I don't doubt that Creative Labs could easily do that on the driver side without modifying anything in the E5's firmware, but again, I think the emphasis should be kept on audiophile needs and not try to make it a gamer card, you have the Xfi for that.

I disagree that the Creative sound cards are an alternative or should be treated as such. If you have two graphics cards then you really don't have the room for a sound card. Not only does the sound card interfere with the air cooling of one of the graphics cards but it is also susceptible to EMI. Furthermore, the sound card series has always had to support headphones and a physical 5.1 speaker setup and this has caused problems because all their sound cards have a high output impedance of at least 20Ω.

The point of the E series is that it is dedicated to headphones and there are no compromises in favor of speakers. Virtual surround sound should be a part of that package considering that SBX Pro Studio VSS is well liked. Secondly, there is currently no way to get SBX VSS 7.1 which and if the E series supported that then it would make an incredibly good deal in the budget USB DAC/Amp market. You'd have a strong advantage over both Fiio and Schiit by offering far more features at a good price.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #832 of 2,345
I would like to know if i will always need the Android app or the PC app to be able to use the E5 settings, i mean if i installed the soundblaster app adjusted the settings and then removed the app will the E5 retain the settings internally so i don't need the app anymore (Same question for PC application)?

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #833 of 2,345
  I would like to know if i will always need the Android app or the PC app to be able to use the E5 settings, i mean if i installed the soundblaster app adjusted the settings and then removed the app will the E5 retain the settings internally so i don't need the app anymore (Same question for PC application)?

Yes.

Cheers.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #834 of 2,345
How I've been using my E5 recently.

Note 4 bluetooth to E5 line-out to C5 to the T51i.  Sounds great.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #837 of 2,345

Isn't that bad for using E5 + C5 together?

He is feeding E5's line-out to C5, basically turning the whole thing into a wireless setup.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #839 of 2,345
  Hello to all, i have a problem with This E5 and an ipod touch last gen

When i connect the Ipod to the e5 direct by lightning connector, sometimes, specially when i push pause,play,... it reproduce the souns as "slow motion", i must disconnect and reconnect the lightning cable to solve the problem

Someone has a similar problem??

Thanks by all and sorry for me english

make sure you have the creative apps installed on iphone - this solved the problem for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back