Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 24, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #406 of 2,345
Dec 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #408 of 2,345
  I mean if it is possible to use it as a DAC while it is charging ? 

Yes, though you should connect the E5 to your smartphone first, then connect an USB power source (*smartphone charger) to the microUSB port.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #410 of 2,345
Dec 26, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #413 of 2,345
How do I choose a source with E5?
Say I'm using this as USB-DAC with my PC, playing music, and also have a Bluetooth enabled and paired phone nearby. Imaging someone calls me - will I hear my ringtone instead of music?

I'm planning to change my Audinst mx-1 to E5, because of extra features: Bluetooth, portable amp. What are possble drawbacks in that case?

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #414 of 2,345
  How do I choose a source with E5?
Say I'm using this as USB-DAC with my PC, playing music, and also have a Bluetooth enabled and paired phone nearby. Imaging someone calls me - will I hear my ringtone instead of music?

I'm planning to change my Audinst mx-1 to E5, because of extra features: Bluetooth, portable amp. What are possble drawbacks in that case?

Yes, you will hear ringtone instead of music (from PC). If you are playing music on both PC and smartphone however, both will be heard at the same time

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #415 of 2,345

Yes, you will hear ringtone instead of music (from PC). If you are playing music on both PC and smartphone however, both will be heard at the same time

And I will hear audio from Line in, if there's something connected as well? right?

ps. I don't wanna hear my ringtone via my stereo as loud as I usually listen.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #416 of 2,345

And I will hear audio from Line in, if there's something connected as well? right?

ps. I don't wanna hear my ringtone via my stereo as loud as I usually listen.

If you set your PC's 'recording device' as E5's line-in, then yes, you will hear what is coming from Line-in as well. You can play a song on your smartphone, another song on PC and connect the line-in to something else, and you will hear all three at the same time. However, once there is a call comes in, E5 will mute all except the ringtone. The volume will be the same as the one set on your E5 (which is shared for both your PC and smartphone), and the ringtone actually isn't very loud.

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #417 of 2,345
I'm trying to imagine all the use-cases with E5. I'm now using a Audinst Mx1 and I haven't asked about a direct comparsion, but seems E5 is not only feature-rich but better in specs.
I guess if I connect it via powered USB hub I will not worry about battery when PCc is off: simply listen from Bluetooth or Line-in.

Do you think E5 will be enough to drive Dt-880 headphones (250 ohm or 600 ohm) or AKG k271s(55ohm)?

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #419 of 2,345
Hoping for manufacturer participation in these few threads of which this is the best. Soundblaster E5 SBX to Windows XP? Does it exsist? Will it exsist?
Both still very new. E5 is driving HD 650 cans so cleanly to have experienced listening sessions where I discovered I had listened too loud afterwards.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #420 of 2,345
I am not using the E5 SBX feature, and I am also not a Windows user, but I do not understand the question.
Besides for configuring it, why would the OS matter when SBX is built in into the E5?
Of you mean that the configuring app does not work on XP?

But yes, the E5 is a very good DAC+AMP package. iOS direct digital input, sound clarity, low listening fatigue, and absolute absence of noise are the main winning point over other solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back