Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #391 of 2,345
Has anyone test the ADC part of E5? I got mine yesterday and I found it a bit confusing when used as recording device.

I tested E5 under both windows and mac os. With drivers properly installed, there will be 5 input devices in total. They are External Mic, Internal Mic, Line In, S/PDIF In and What U Hear. However I don't know exactly what the last one is.

Actually you can only choose either Line In or one of the rest 4 inputs. By default, the Line In is selected and the rests are shown as *currently unavailable* under windows. The same thing happens under mac os. It turns back to Line In no matter whichever you choose.

I eventually find out how to activate the other 4 input sources. The sound blaster control panel has a Speaker/Headphones tab, where you can toggle Direct Mode. I have no idea how it works but it does switch between Line In and other 4 inputs. Under mac os you have to use Audio MIDI Setup to switch clock source of E5, from Stereo Direct to DSP Clock.

Something is strange here. The Direct Mode option is never *saved*, while the switch between input sources does save. When you restart sound blaster control panel, it shows as if it was never enabled. From user manual I read something like the Direct Mode will work till E5 is powered off.

I know Creative staff reads this post, could you please explain how exactly E5 works as recording device? And if anyone has experience about E5 I'd like to hear your inputs. Thanks in advance, cheers.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #392 of 2,345
ODAC/O2/Hifimediy Sabre DAC//Modi/Magni, none of those gives you a really portable DAC + amp setup with the ability to fetch pristine digital output out of iOS devices.
But I do recognize that people wanting surround (out of an headphone?) effects, might be better looking elsewhere.
I do have the E12, which I love. But I am not able in a blind test, to tell them apart, when listening to music.
I am perfectly able (100% success rate) to tell apart my X3+E12 combo, WRT the E5, because of the slightly higher noise floor.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #393 of 2,345
I am not sure I am answering your question directly but you should know that line-in, (external) mic-in and S/PDIF-in are all sharing the same 3.5mm jack on E5, so obviously only one of them can used at any given one time (or else they will be competing for the same jack). While Internal Mic-in is on the E5 itself (*the three slots / holes on the top plate), it is using the same ADC as line-in / external mic-in / S/PDIF-in, and therefore it behaves the same as the rest and only one can activated at any given time.

Direct mode means the ADC will be set to 24/192 sampling with SBX and EQ disable.

What U Hear is basically recording all sound going to the E5's output. So if you are using a mic-in as well as playback a video on the PC, both will be recorded down at the same time. Another way of saying this is, the it is recording the DAC's output.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #394 of 2,345
Thank you now it's more clear.

The last problem is how can I enable Internal Mic from E5 directly (by not toggling Direct Mode). I don't know if it is by design but for me, under windows the input source is always Line In. I can't enable Internal Mic because it is shown as *currently unavailable*.

There's one thing which I think may be related to this issue. When E5 is used as a pure amp, there will be an internal ADC to DAC process. Since Line In is usually used as amp input source, it was then made default by Creative. When E5 is connected to USB, its ADC part will continue to use Line In as input.

Can we have more feedbacks from the manufacturer?  Thank you again for your help!

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #395 of 2,345
  Thank you now it's more clear.

The last problem is how can I enable Internal Mic from E5 directly (by not toggling Direct Mode). I don't know if it is by design but for me, under windows the input source is always Line In. I can't enable Internal Mic because it is shown as *currently unavailable*.

There's one thing which I think may be related to this issue. When E5 is used as a pure amp, there will be an internal ADC to DAC process. Since Line In is usually used as amp input source, it was then made default by Creative. When E5 is connected to USB, its ADC part will continue to use Line In as input.

Can we have more feedbacks from the manufacturer?  Thank you again for your help!

Actually my E5's internal mic is activated by default, it is line-in that is unavailable by default. Just go to the sound control panel in your PC's 'Control Panel' (or right click on the speaker icon in the lower left corner of desktop), select 'Recording devices', click on 'Internal mic' and click on the 'set default' button. Now every time you connect your E5 to PC, the internal mic will be activated by default. This is also used to switch between which input to use as well.

Also, there are a few more advanced options if you click the 'properties', so go play with them.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #397 of 2,345
So can you guys confirm this will work with 24bit on android?

Here is the spec:

USB Audio Streaming from Mobile Devices:
iOS Playback/recording:
24-bit / 44.1, 48 kHz
Android Playback:
16-bit / 44.1 kHz

I do able to get 24/96 (and possibly 24/192) to work using UAPP with a particular cable setup, but it is glitchy to say the least. I'll rather just use the recommended way and listen to 16/44.1.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #398 of 2,345
Here is the spec:

I do able to get 24/96 (and possibly 24/192) to work using UAPP with a particular cable setup, but it is glitchy to say the least. I'll rather just use the recommended way and listen to 16/44.1.

thank you.i think this is off my list now.
will prob get the AT-PHA100

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #400 of 2,345

I don't think Android is even capable of 24bit audio. I thought it was 16/44.1 only.

No with the latest generation of Android. LG, Samsung, HTC and Sony all have 24/192 capable driver on their flagship models. There is also USB Audio Player Pro, with its own 24bit driver for USB DAC. 24/96 is also going to be officially supported in Lolipop.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #401 of 2,345

No with the latest generation of Android. LG, Samsung, HTC and Sony all have 24/192 capable driver on their flagship models. There is also USB Audio Player Pro, with its own 24bit driver for USB DAC. 24/96 is also going to be officially supported in Lolipop.

Can you manually select the audio bit depth and sample rate or is it all going to be resampled to 24/96?

I know in Windows that the mixing happens at 32bit and resamples to whatever sample rate you choose in playback devices e.g. 48Khz. It then lowers the bit depth to whatever your playback device is set to after mixing.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #402 of 2,345

samsung Note 4 works like a charm with Usb player and meridian explorer 2☺

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #403 of 2,345

Can you manually select the audio bit depth and sample rate or is it all going to be resampled to 24/96?

I know in Windows that the mixing happens at 32bit and resamples to whatever sample rate you choose in playback devices e.g. 48Khz. It then lowers the bit depth to whatever your playback device is set to after mixing.

Not to my knowledge. It will just play any file on its native bitrate / bit depth, up to 24/96.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #404 of 2,345
  I can confirm there's audible hiss using DN-2000 with E5. X7 is quieter but not exactly dead silent. I also notice it is incredibly LOUD. DN-2000 was dead silent when using with Essence STX II.

Finally got rid of hiss problem by using UE's attenuator.

http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-accessories/wireless-and-hardware/adjustable-ambient-filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back