Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 16, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #376 of 2,345

I'll say to this: try it first before you rule it out. You'll be surprised how far BT has advanced.

I'm still trying to convince myself on buying this. I would love to get this over the Fiio E18 for example just because of the bluetooth, but my question is... is the quality there? Mainly the AMP/DAC quality compared to the competition in this portable/mobile price range.

Still waiting patiently for your review ClieOS. lol :wink:

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #377 of 2,345
  I'm guessing its the loss in audio quality, even with aptx and/or aac. I look at bluetooth as a convenience thing. If you are moving around a lot, traveling, etc., then hooking it up through bluetooth is great and very convenient. If they are stationary for long periods of time (at work, at home, etc.) you would get better sound quality by connecting it directly.

So yes, you would get good sound quality with bluetooth and convenience, but best sound quality for now will be connecting directly to your audio source (android phone).

Quote:

I'll say to this: try it first before you rule it out. You'll be surprised how far BT has advanced.

+1
I'm surprised that BT has advanced so much in audio quality. Have been using E5 with BT connection to my Galaxy S4 (Apt-X supported), for both headphone and line out to my speakers, really surprised that the BT audio quality has advanced so much. Not only acceptable quality, but already at the level of enjoyable quality. E5 BT audio is really good when paired with Apt-X supported devices.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #378 of 2,345
  I'm still trying to convince myself on buying this. I would love to get this over the Fiio E18 for example just because of the bluetooth, but my question is... is the quality there? Mainly the AMP/DAC quality compared to the competition in this portable/mobile price range.

Still waiting patiently for your review ClieOS. lol :wink:

The only other amp/DAC in the same price range that I own is E18, AFAIK. E18 has an overall more mature sound. Nothing night and day, but I'll say E18 is ahead of E5. Feature wise of course, E5 is hand down better. I am a big fan on aptX so my vote goes to E5 right now.

+1
I'm surprised that BT has advanced so much in audio quality. Have been using E5 with BT connection to my Galaxy S4 (Apt-X supported), for both headphone and line out to my speakers, really surprised that the BT audio quality has advanced so much. Not only acceptable quality, but already at the level of enjoyable quality. E5 BT audio is really good when paired with Apt-X supported devices.

...and we are not even using the best part of E5's BT function yet - E5 has a more advanced version of aptX called aptX Low Latency, and as far as I know, no smartphone in the market is using it. In fact, I don't even know any BT source besides a Samsung notebook that has aptX Low Latency. However, with CSR now part of Qualcomm, I am sure it won't be long till we see one.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #379 of 2,345
This device is an awesome idea, but it has a huge flaw. There is no way to get simulated 5.1. Sound with headphones. You can use a software solution on a PC, but why didn't they integrate it into the device. It shows up as 2.0, so you can't use the integrated Surround technology... It is a shame.

Has anyone tried to input a 5.1 signal via the optical in?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #380 of 2,345
If it is designed as a PC entertainment devices as first, then I'll consider it as a flaw. As mainly a devices for music playback, I don't see it that way.

Anyway, it has a stereo DAC, so it isn't going to do 5.1 (6) channels sound regardless of input.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #381 of 2,345
  This device is an awesome idea, but it has a huge flaw. There is no way to get simulated 5.1. Sound with headphones. You can use a software solution on a PC, but why didn't they integrate it into the device. It shows up as 2.0, so you can't use the integrated Surround technology... It is a shame.

Has anyone tried to input a 5.1 signal via the optical in?

I've said the same and it significantly decreases the value of the product. I wouldn't be surprised if it only accepts stereo PCM and doesn't accept DTS.
  If it is designed as a PC entertainment devices as first, then I'll consider it as a flaw. As mainly a devices for music playback, I don't see it that way.

Anyway, it has a stereo DAC, so it isn't going to do 5.1 (6) channels sound regardless of input.

Virtual surround sound processed audio is stereo. Which is obvious as it's made for headphones that only have two drivers.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #382 of 2,345
I'm not so sure you want to rely on the bass boost too much.  While I'm huge fan of Creative's software enhancements (omni and e1), bumping up the bass on their eq has created more problems then it's worth -- really muddy low end, terrible actually.  That said, the SBX enhancements are awesome, when used in moderation -- imaging and sound stage improvements are enhanced perfectly.  My settings keep them in the 5% to 10% range for PC's 10-20 for macs.  For some reason, the changes on a PC are more pronounced than on a mac.  FYI, this is about a third lower than default.  The default settings change the character of the sound way too much.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #383 of 2,345
geez, i'm still on the fence with the e5.  Just can't quite pull the trigger.  The problem is I bought the ifi micro dac a couple months ago.  That thing spoiled me.  I've since traded the ifi for a bunch of equipment, too good of a deal to pass up.  Now I'm thinking of getting another ifi micro but I really want something smaller.  decisions, decisions... I have the E1 for scout mode, the omni for stay-at-home use (and the beam forming mics).  Was hoping the E5 would not only replace the E1 and omni but also fill the space occupied by my meridian explorer/zo3 setup.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #384 of 2,345

Nothing about the E5 is mobile.

Their lineup is a joke. The E3 has a huge amount of hiss and you can't control volume in small enough increments. It's either loud or silent with IEMs.

The lineup that is made specifically for headphones doesn't support 5.1 or 7.1 virtual surround sound which is ridiculous.

Use Razer Virtual surround sound. It's free and doesn't require any specific hardware to be attached. Can be used with a USB DAC as well.

SBX Pro Studio Virtual Surround Sound uses software to simulate how a human head would hear a speaker system. It can take any number of channels whether that is 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 and will output binuaral audio which is stereo. That is how you can hear things in front, to the sides and behind you.

However, with E the lineup you will only hear the front speakers because the E1,3,5 only appears as stereo to Windows. Even though the software is capable of 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound you won't get it because the DAC only appears as Stereo to Windows.

There is X-Fi MB3 which is purely software but that has it's own stupid problems. Razer Virtual surround sound software appears as a virtual playback device in Windows and shows it self as 7.1 speaker system. It then sends the virtual surround sound processed stereo audio to another playback device e.g. a USB DAC or your onboard soundcard. My USB DAC is stereo only but I Razer VSS will still send the VSS processed audio to it because VSS processed audio is stereo. Headphones are stereo with one channel for each ear.

X-Fi MB3 is the same as Razer VSS. A virtual playback device that just processes a 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio and outputs stereo to headphones. However, if the playback device that X-Fi MB3 outputs audio to, such as a USB DAC, only shows itself as Stereo to Windows then X-Fi MB3 will only show itself as Stereo to Windows. Therefore, stopping you from using Virtual surround sound.

While I have no comment about most of this, I feel inclined to point out that Razer Surround sounded like **** to me compared to... Well, basically any other commonly-used gaming-oriented virtualization software. Just a really strong left-center-right image. I'm not the only person to notice it, either. Everyone's ears are different, so I'll post this video for their benefit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA

This was done on internal sound solutions with their built-in DSPs or software, save for Razer Surround. "Z vs. X-Fi Titanium vs. Razer Surround vs. Xonar DGX vs. onboard."

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #385 of 2,345
I was pleasantly surprised to see the specs on this DAC/amp combo since they appeared to be pretty respectable given the price, and it's filled to the gills with nice features. But I'm curious to know if it actually has the sonic qualities best-suited to competitive gaming. As I understand it, your best option is a very neutral-sounding source with similarly neutral headphones. The best I know of are AKG K702s, which I'm currently using. At least to my ears, they're actually better than ATH-AD700s, since they're better at retrieving details, especially when a lot's going on, which more than makes up for the slightly narrower soundstage. The usual recommendations for a gaming-friendly DAC/amp combo are either the Schiit Audo Modi/Magni stack, or the O2+ODAC combo. Both sound very similar going by what I've read. Almost interchangeable. A couple of the posters on this thread mentioned that the E5 is bass-heavy, which may pose a problem. So, let's nip this one in the bud while the jury's still out on these: How do they compare with the O2+ODAC or Modi/Magni for competitive gaming purposes? Are they better or worse at positional detail retrieval? My first instinct is to say they aren't, but I'd rather hear a direct comparison from someone who has used both the E5 and one of these beforehand. And to clarify: I'm pretty sure the E5 sounds more "fun." That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking for plain and simple positional audio qualities, and that's it. Ex.: You use HD558s or HD598s for fun, immersive gaming. You use ATH-AD700(Xe)s, DT 880s, or K/Q70x headphones for pure positional audio in competitive games like Counter-Strike. I'm not asking if the E5 sounds better overall, just if it helps you more in games.

Also, if someone could do this for the Sound Blaster X7 as well, that would be nice. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #386 of 2,345
Hi Guys,

Totally new to this Audio DAC AMP (this is my second post), I have quite a few questions and if anyone could offer some advice / views, I would greatly appreciate :)
I would like to use SB E5 to supplement my mobile devices & dell laptop

Mobile Devices:

Q1) Windows Phone Lumia 1020 - is SB E5 compatible with Windows Phone 8.1 ?

Potentially I would like to purchase a Android Phone : Vivo X5 Max or Meizu MX 4 Pro (detail specs are in the links within the article below)

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Phones-for-audiophiles-5-Android-handsets-with-quality-sound-processors_id63856

Q2) Are the Vivo X5 Max & Meizu really that outstanding in terms of audio output ? Will SB E5 have any problems linking up with PRC phones ?

Q3) How do I activate SB E5? ie linking up to a mobile phone via a physical micro USB cable ? then Bluetooth it to my Heaphone (eg Creative AURVANA GOLD) will the quality degrade over bluetooth ?

Q4) Can i use my tablet (Nexus 7 II), link up via physical micro UBS cable to SB E5 and bluetooth to Creative SB ROAR speaker ?

Q5) should i wait for 1-2 more weeks for Creative to fix the "charging bug" or they will provide a software update / bring back to service center for firmware upgrade ?

I would be using it to play internet radio (SKY FM, Pandora), downloaded MP3 & Youtube videos over mobile phones/tablet, will SB E5 greatly improve the sound quality? 

Cheers & Apologies for asking so many questions

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #387 of 2,345
  Q1) Windows Phone Lumia 1020 - is SB E5 compatible with Windows Phone 8.1 ?

Potentially I would like to purchase a Android Phone : Vivo X5 Max or Meizu MX 4 Pro (detail specs are in the links within the article below)

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Phones-for-audiophiles-5-Android-handsets-with-quality-sound-processors_id63856

>>> Androidphone is fine, but it doesn't have a driver for Windows Phone 8.1 so I'll say it is a very long shot.

Q2) Are the Vivo X5 Max & Meizu really that outstanding in terms of audio output ? Will SB E5 have any problems linking up with PRC phones ?

>>> Don't know how Vivo or Meizu's SQ are, but as long as you can get Google Store to run on those phone, you shouldn't have problem getting E5 to work.

Q3) How do I activate SB E5? ie linking up to a mobile phone via a physical micro USB cable ? then Bluetooth it to my Heaphone (eg Creative AURVANA GOLD) will the quality degrade over bluetooth ?

>>> Just pair it over BT, then download the driver via Google Store. I can't say I have heard any obvious SQ degradation over BT, but my phone support aptX. The smartphone you want to use might not have that.

Q4) Can i use my tablet (Nexus 7 II), link up via physical micro UBS cable to SB E5 and bluetooth to Creative SB ROAR speaker ?

>>> E5 can only act as receiver, not transmitter, so no.

Q5) should i wait for 1-2 more weeks for Creative to fix the "charging bug" or they will provide a software update / bring back to service center for firmware upgrade ?

>>> Don't know the answer myself.

I would be using it to play internet radio (SKY FM, Pandora), downloaded MP3 & Youtube videos over mobile phones/tablet, will SB E5 greatly improve the sound quality? 

>>> If your smartphone doesn't have good SQ, then I'll say there is a good chance E5 will improve it. But do remember the law of 'crap-in, crap-out', thus having poor music source (including streaming in this case) is not going to help.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #388 of 2,345
Hi ClieOS,

Thank you for your very fast reply & comments, may I please add on a few parts that I am unsure ?

> Just pair it over BT, then download the driver via Google Store. I can't say I have heard any obvious SQ degradation over BT, but my phone support aptX. The smartphone you want to use might not have that.

what driver do i neeed to download over google store ? can you please provide the name / link ?

If your smartphone doesn't have good SQ, then I'll say there is a good chance E5 will improve it.

what is SQ - Sound Quality ??

Lastly, i have read about those Hi_Res MP3 or FLAC MP3, you can please point me to how to download / or convert my current collection of CDs into high quality MP3 ?

cheers!

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #389 of 2,345
  Hi ClieOS,

Thank you for your very fast reply & comments, may I please add on a few parts that I am unsure ?

> Just pair it over BT, then download the driver via Google Store. I can't say I have heard any obvious SQ degradation over BT, but my phone support aptX. The smartphone you want to use might not have that.

what driver do i neeed to download over google store ? can you please provide the name / link ?

If your smartphone doesn't have good SQ, then I'll say there is a good chance E5 will improve it.

what is SQ - Sound Quality ??

Lastly, i have read about those Hi_Res MP3 or FLAC MP3, you can please point me to how to download / or convert my current collection of CDs into high quality MP3 ?

cheers!

Yes, SQ is short of sound quality.

You will need these:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.creative.central
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=svc.creative.aidlservice

Any decent software ripper should be able to convert your CD collection to FLAC. I am using Easy CD-DA Extractor and JRiver myself, but others like Exact Audio Copy and dBpoweramp are both well received by most as well. Hi Res is however another matter - you need to buy them from places like HDTrack.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #390 of 2,345

While I have no comment about most of this, I feel inclined to point out that Razer Surround sounded like **** to me compared to... Well, basically any other commonly-used gaming-oriented virtualization software. Just a really strong left-center-right image. I'm not the only person to notice it, either. Everyone's ears are different, so I'll post this video for their benefit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA

This was done on internal sound solutions with their built-in DSPs or software, save for Razer Surround. "Z vs. X-Fi Titanium vs. Razer Surround vs. Xonar DGX vs. onboard."

I agree that Razer VSS is the worst but it is free and doesn't require any specific pieces of hardware attached. There is X-Fi MB3 (SBX Pro Studio 7.1) but I can tell you not to bother with it at the moment because of some crippling bugs that make it unsuitable for any USB DACs. You are limited to Stereo under Configure Speakers when the playback device is Stereo ,e.g. USB DAC, which means no virtual surround sound. Dolby Headphone, while having clear positional cues, sounds incredibly unnatural due to the empty room sound.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the specs on this DAC/amp combo since they appeared to be pretty respectable given the price, and it's filled to the gills with nice features. But I'm curious to know if it actually has the sonic qualities best-suited to competitive gaming. As I understand it, your best option is a very neutral-sounding source with similarly neutral headphones. The best I know of are AKG K702s, which I'm currently using. At least to my ears, they're actually better than ATH-AD700s, since they're better at retrieving details, especially when a lot's going on, which more than makes up for the slightly narrower soundstage. The usual recommendations for a gaming-friendly DAC/amp combo are either the Schiit Audo Modi/Magni stack, or the O2+ODAC combo. Both sound very similar going by what I've read. Almost interchangeable. A couple of the posters on this thread mentioned that the E5 is bass-heavy, which may pose a problem. So, let's nip this one in the bud while the jury's still out on these: How do they compare with the O2+ODAC or Modi/Magni for competitive gaming purposes? Are they better or worse at positional detail retrieval? My first instinct is to say they aren't, but I'd rather hear a direct comparison from someone who has used both the E5 and one of these beforehand. And to clarify: I'm pretty sure the E5 sounds more "fun." That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking for plain and simple positional audio qualities, and that's it. Ex.: You use HD558s or HD598s for fun, immersive gaming. You use ATH-AD700(Xe)s, DT 880s, or K/Q70x headphones for pure positional audio in competitive games like Counter-Strike. I'm not asking if the E5 sounds better overall, just if it helps you more in games.

Also, if someone could do this for the Sound Blaster X7 as well, that would be nice. 

If the E5 is bass heavy that indicates a screwed up frequency response that isn't flat, possibly high output impedance or people are just imagining things. The last two are the most likely.

ODAC/O2 or Magni/Modi or Hifimediy Sabre DAC + amp are all fine. I think the best value combo you could possibly get now is the Hifimediy Sabre DAC + Magni2 assuming that it works well with IEMs.

The key problem with all of this is that only choices we have for virtual surround sound that doesn't require specific hardware attached is Razer VSS or X-Fi MB3 (broke with USB DACs). The usual setup is actually:

Soundcard with Virtual Surround Sound  --> Optical Out  -->  Optical input DAC  --> Amplifier  --> Headphones

The added costs is that you need to buy a soundcard that is doing nothing except giving you access to SBX Pro Studio Virtual Surround Sound and that you need a DAC with optical input which gives a more limited selection and more expensive.

The ideal solution is SBX Pro Studio 7.1 through pure software that then outputs audio to your USB DAC. Razer Surround currently works like this but Razer Surround sound isn't as good as SBX Pro Studio. X-Fi MB3 would have fulfilled this but it's broken and it's clear that during the design stages they never thought of it being used with USB DACs. I've contacted Creative about this and the problems with X-Fi MB3 which they have forwarded to the developer. They have also heard about my idea that they make software like Razer Surround but for SBX Pro Studio 7.1. Of course, that doesn't mean they'll actually do anything and it's the usual "thank you for your feedback..."

Hopefully, they'll actually do something but no guarantees. I'd have use for the software on gaming desktop PC and on my laptop for away usage.

My original intention with the Sound Blaster E3 was to use it with my smartphone via bluetooth and then plug it into my laptop via USB when away from home.  I was hoping that it would then show itself to Windows as a 5.1 speaker setup allowing me to watch movies in 5.1 SBX Pro Studio virtual surround sound. However, as it only appears as a Stereo there really is no reason to even use the virtual surround sound at all. I wouldn't want to use it with music and it's useless for games and movies. The E5 has the exact same problem and it severely limits it's use. If I want a USB DAC/Amp then I'd get a ODAC/O2 because it's known to be quality and the output impedance is known to be less than 1ohm. The E1/3/5 doesn't have any meaningful technical specifications which is what would stop me from buying it over an ODAC/O2/Hifimediy Sabre DAC//Modi/Magni which are all known to be good.

It seems that Creative wants to enter the audiophile market but they really don't know what to do right. Look at what Fiio/Schiit do and copy that. Detailed technical specifications build trust and so does active forum participation. Both build goodwill from releasing high quality products at low prices and it carries over into their more expensive line up. With aptx, bluetooth and virtual surround sound it's obvious that Creative is swimming in useful marketable features which would give them an advantage over Schiit and Fiio but they aren't capitalising on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back