Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 14, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #361 of 2,345

There is app in the app store you can download to fully customize the SBX setting (which includes a bass boost) to your own liking. The same app also gives you customizable EQ as well, in case you don't want to use SBX. Once you finish customizing the SBX setting, the E5 will remember it inside the amp, so you don't need to use the app next time to reactivate it. All you need is to press the SBX switch on the E5 and it will enable the SBX (of your own setting) for you.

Excellent thanks,
I think buy it :)

Hello!

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #363 of 2,345
[COLOR=212121]hey can you tell me how many dB bass boost (via SBX) adds of the Creative Blaster E5 ?[/COLOR]

I think it's customizable. You can save multiple presets through the software.

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #364 of 2,345
After using mine for a few days...just wanted to throw some stuff in, confirm what a few others have said, maybe let some people know that if they're having these issues, they're not alone.

A) Call it hiss, call it noise floor, but it's definitely there with iem's (used shure se535's and vsonic gr07's).

B) If for some reason you're using this as a small desktop dac/amp (This is what I'm doing because I didn't want to use a CCK with my iphone and MFI certified devices are a pain in the ass to find), you can keep the unit charged by plugging the usb into your computer and still playing music from an iDevice through that connection.  
- However, even if you don't have your sound device set to the E5 on the computer (I set it back to my laptop speakers at work), things don't quite play right.  
            -- Every time I get an email or anything else that creates a sound notification on my computer, it causes my phone to vibrate as if I'm getting a text :p  
            -- The volume wheel on the E5 ends up controlling the volume on the laptop but not working for the iPhone.    Get this, I turned my volume up from the iPhone screen manually and it turned up the volume on my laptop instead :p  

C) Battery drain...others here have said they don't have battery drain issues with iDevices.  I've got an iPhone 6.  If I plug my headphones into the phone around 6:30 AM and play music nonstop until around time for lunch and I'll end up with about 96% battery left (assuming I charged it on the way in).  In the same amount of time with the E5 today, it drained down to 87 percent.  But I only listened to music for about an hour and a half to 2 hours during that time.  Plugged in but not actually playing it still sucks power.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #365 of 2,345
A) Strange. I get Zero Dark Dirty noise floor with the E5.

B) That seems more a problem with the PC software, than the E5. Once you tell the OS that the output controller is the PC itself, it should not listen to the E5 USB devices.

C) I thought iOS devices would not charge from the E5, isn't that the case?

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #366 of 2,345
Entry level audiophile here. Got a pair of HD 600s (latest release) and the Audio Engine D1 and E5 to audition. Tried them both with my iphone 6 and Macbook Pro. They both sound pretty similar to me with the 600s. Both power the 600s without a hitch. I get clean accurate reproduction with strong clean mids and what i perceive to be very little coloration.

Cool thing about the E5 is that it comes with some decent sound blaster software. Seems that I can increase the bass a decent amount without adding much discernible distortion—sounds pretty clean and adds nice color on my airy drum n bass stuff. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #367 of 2,345
A) Strange. I get Zero Dark Dirty noise floor with the E5.

B) That seems more a problem with the PC software, than the E5. Once you tell the OS that the output controller is the PC itself, it should not listen to the E5 USB devices.

C) I thought iOS devices would not charge from the E5, isn't that the case?

The output is set to the PC. And the power drain is on the iPhone, not the e5. The iPhone isnt charging, it's being leeched at a rate of about 3x normal. Maybe this is the cost of using accessories via the Lightning port. Ill have to test with my a200p to see if it drains the iPhone just as quickly. I didn't expect a device that has its own power supply to be such a hog.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #368 of 2,345
True, shouldn't matter but my desk is strewn with all sorts of stuff I've ordered via the internet, all with return policies, and they end up just sitting there.  In fact, I'm staring at 3 dac/amps in front of me.  lol    i'm at my local Fry's almost every week, buying or returning stuff, so it makes things a little easier for me to by local.  Call me old fashioned but I still like to support brick and mortar stores when I can.

Same here...Have purchased several sets of headphones from GC and BestBuy as well with 'Price Matching'.

Just picked up some Shure SE215s over lunch yesterday at my GuitarCenter. They matched a $20 online coupon and there is a $10 Rebate as well. Got online prices and am keeping local folks employed. Downside is the taxes...willing to pay those for the benefit to the local economy and the chance to work directly with people.

You can't use that as a thing against online purchases.  That's your choice not to RMA it...

And prices are usually a lot better online as well...

My experience has been that local stores (BestBuy, GC, etc.) will match prices...only downside is selection and sales tax.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #369 of 2,345
...The hiss on the E3 is not quiet at all. I've got one next to me and it is very obvious with IEMs.

...The E5 has been literally dead quiet for me. Like zero-dot-zero noise.
Certainly the best noise figure I heard so far in a USB DAC plus amp combo.

Kinda makes sense -- better performance (and sometimes functionality) as you walk up a manufacturer's product line. Comparing the E3 to E5...there should be some difference just like there is between the X7 and E5.

Probably there has been some inconsistency in production. Mine clearly has audible hiss using DUNU DN-1000 and DN-2000, not as quiet as my DACport, Dragonfly, and other DACs.
For comparison, my Creative X7 is much quieter than E5.

Earfonia, am guessing you were using the E5 in low gain mode...yes? If so, kind of a bummer it can't be relatively 'hiss free' in this mode as that's a key benefit of having this feature (along with more user friendly volume control)

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #370 of 2,345
The output is set to the PC. And the power drain is on the iPhone, not the e5. The iPhone isnt charging, it's being leeched at a rate of about 3x normal. Maybe this is the cost of using accessories via the Lightning port. Ill have to test with my a200p to see if it drains the iPhone just as quickly. I didn't expect a device that has its own power supply to be such a hog.

My iPad air was not charging either when connected to the E5. Did not notice any over the normal discharge rate when I used it with the E5 too.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #372 of 2,345

Probably there has been some inconsistency in production. Mine clearly has audible hiss using DUNU DN-1000 and DN-2000, not as quiet as my DACport, Dragonfly, and other DACs.
For comparison, my Creative X7 is much quieter than E5.

I can confirm there's audible hiss using DN-2000 with E5. X7 is quieter but not exactly dead silent. I also notice it is incredibly LOUD. DN-2000 was dead silent when using with Essence STX II.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #373 of 2,345
For people getting faster battery loss using e5. Why not connect phone via bluetooth?

...you know Bluetooth is pretty power hungry right? Idling between calls (like a Bluetooth ear piece) doesn't use much, but constant transfer sucks it down like a Hoover. It's also junk quality, at least on iPhones that dont support the higher quality streaming protocols, not a2dp but the other one that I can't remember

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #374 of 2,345
  For people getting faster battery loss using e5. Why not connect phone via bluetooth?

I'm guessing its the loss in audio quality, even with aptx and/or aac. I look at bluetooth as a convenience thing. If you are moving around a lot, traveling, etc., then hooking it up through bluetooth is great and very convenient. If they are stationary for long periods of time (at work, at home, etc.) you would get better sound quality by connecting it directly.

So yes, you would get good sound quality with bluetooth and convenience, but best sound quality for now will be connecting directly to your audio source (android phone).

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #375 of 2,345
  I'm guessing its the loss in audio quality, even with aptx and/or aac. I look at bluetooth as a convenience thing. If you are moving around a lot, traveling, etc., then hooking it up through bluetooth is great and very convenient. If they are stationary for long periods of time (at work, at home, etc.) you would get better sound quality by connecting it directly.

So yes, you would get good sound quality with bluetooth and convenience, but best sound quality for now will be connecting directly to your audio source (android phone).

I'll say to this: try it first before you rule it out. You'll be surprised how far BT has advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back