Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #331 of 2,345
  Can somebody on Windows go to Playback Devices, Right click on the E5 device, click Configure Speakers and tell me if it appears as a 5.1 speaker system.

This video will show you how to get to the Configure Speakers Option.

Again, it is NOT a 5.1 sound system, it is a stereo system.  Haven't we gone through this before or are you a second person wondering about it? 

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #332 of 2,345

Again, it is NOT a 5.1 sound system, it is a stereo system.  Haven't we gone through this before or are you a second person wondering about it? 

Ok.

You cannot use 5.1 virtual surround sound with it then.

The reasoning is that the device needs to display it self as a 7.1 or 5.1 speaker system to Windows in order for most games to output 5.1 or 7.1 audio channels to the device. The device then processes the 5.1 or 7.1 audio channels and then the virtual surround sound software outputs Stereo to headphones.

The Sound Blaster E3 and E1 will have the exact same problem. Do not buy the E1, E3 or E5 if you want 5.1 virtual surround sound (SBX Pro Studio) because you will not get it. This greatly diminishes the value of Sound Blaster E lineup in my opinion.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #333 of 2,345
I don't think those were ever advertised as N.1 surround system, did they?
With a single (dual, but still single) headphone output, that would be a problem to achieve.
The CL SBX technology creates a 3D sound, with normal 2 way output.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #334 of 2,345
I always pictured the E series to be more for mobile audio and for listening to music/movies than for gaming. But then again, they do advertise, with the E3 especially, the "Scout Mode" which is only useful for gaming. Which could be a reason why they took it out for the E5 even though it's really just a software thing. But that is just my wild speculation.

Does any other portable DAC/AMP system support 5.1 or 7.1? I really don't know so I'm asking. Like the ASUS Xonar for example. Seems that a lot of people are going to be comparing the E5 with the Xonar.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #335 of 2,345
  I always pictured the E series to be more for mobile audio and for listening to music/movies than for gaming. But then again, they do advertise, with the E3 especially, the "Scout Mode" which is only useful for gaming. Which could be a reason why they took it out for the E5 even though it's really just a software thing. But that is just my wild speculation.

Does any other portable DAC/AMP system support 5.1 or 7.1? I really don't know so I'm asking. Like the ASUS Xonar for example. Seems that a lot of people are going to be comparing the E5 with the Xonar.

Nothing about the E5 is mobile.

Their lineup is a joke. The E3 has a huge amount of hiss and you can't control volume in small enough increments. It's either loud or silent with IEMs.

The lineup that is made specifically for headphones doesn't support 5.1 or 7.1 virtual surround sound which is ridiculous.

Use Razer Virtual surround sound. It's free and doesn't require any specific hardware to be attached. Can be used with a USB DAC as well.

I don't think those were ever advertised as N.1 surround system, did they?
With a single (dual, but still single) headphone output, that would be a problem to achieve.
The CL SBX technology creates a 3D sound, with normal 2 way output.

SBX Pro Studio Virtual Surround Sound uses software to simulate how a human head would hear a speaker system. It can take any number of channels whether that is 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 and will output binuaral audio which is stereo. That is how you can hear things in front, to the sides and behind you.

However, with E the lineup you will only hear the front speakers because the E1,3,5 only appears as stereo to Windows. Even though the software is capable of 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound you won't get it because the DAC only appears as Stereo to Windows.

There is X-Fi MB3 which is purely software but that has it's own problems. Razer Virtual surround sound software appears as a virtual playback device in Windows and shows it self as 7.1 speaker system. It then sends the virtual surround sound processed stereo audio to another playback device e.g. a USB DAC or your onboard soundcard. My USB DAC is stereo only but I Razer VSS will still send the VSS processed audio to it because VSS processed audio is stereo. Headphones are stereo with one channel for each ear.

X-Fi MB3 is the same as Razer VSS. A virtual playback device that just processes a 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio and outputs stereo to headphones. However, if the playback device that X-Fi MB3 outputs audio to, such as a USB DAC, only shows itself as Stereo to Windows then X-Fi MB3 will only show itself as Stereo to Windows. Therefore, stopping you from using Virtual surround sound.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #336 of 2,345

Their lineup is a joke. The E3 has a huge amount of hiss and you can't control volume in small enough increments. It's either loud or silent with IEMs.

The lineup that is made specifically for headphones doesn't support 5.1 or 7.1 virtual surround sound which is ridiculous.

Use Razer Virtual surround sound. It's free and doesn't require any specific hardware to be attached. Can be used with a USB DAC as well.

SBX Pro Studio Virtual Surround Sound uses software to simulate how a human head would hear a speaker system. It can take any number of channels whether that is 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 and will output binuaral audio which is stereo. That is how you can hear things in front, to the sides and behind you.

However, with E the lineup you will only hear the front speakers because the E1,3,5 only appears as stereo to Windows. Even though the software is capable of 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound you won't get it because the DAC only appears as Stereo to Windows.

There is X-Fi MB3 which is purely software but that has it's own stupid problems. Razer Virtual surround sound software appears as a virtual playback device in Windows and shows it self as 7.1 speaker system. It then sends the virtual surround sound processed stereo audio to another playback device e.g. a USB DAC or your onboard soundcard. My USB DAC is stereo only but I Razer VSS will still send the VSS processed audio to it because VSS processed audio is stereo. Headphones are stereo with one channel for each ear.

X-Fi MB3 is the same as Razer VSS. A virtual playback device that just processes a 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio and outputs stereo to headphones. However, if the playback device that X-Fi MB3 outputs audio to, such as a USB DAC, only shows itself as Stereo to Windows then X-Fi MB3 will only show itself as Stereo to Windows. Therefore, stopping you from using Virtual surround sound.

Lolwut?  Nothing about their lineup is mobile?  You're clearly a troll.  I thought you were at first with the 5.1 "surround" deal, but I know you're a troll now.  Razor surround isn't near as good as other solutions, and it's not free anymore. 

Hiss?  It's been noted to have VERY QUIET hiss occasionally, but usually nothing is there. 

Stereo doesn't support virtual surround?  Now you're just asking for it...  Ever heard of SBX Surround?  AKA noted as the best virtual surround software EVER?!?!?

But I guess it's not your fault.  After all, you can't fix stupid. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #337 of 2,345

Lolwut?  Nothing about their lineup is mobile?  You're clearly a troll.  I thought you were at first with the 5.1 "surround" deal, but I know you're a troll now.  Razor surround isn't near as good as other solutions, and it's not free anymore. 

Hiss?  It's been noted to have VERY QUIET hiss occasionally, but usually nothing is there. 

Stereo doesn't support virtual surround?  Now you're just asking for it...  Ever heard of SBX Surround?  AKA noted as the best virtual surround software EVER?!?!?

But I guess it's not your fault.  After all, you can't fix stupid. 

Razer Surround Sound is free. The Pro option has additional benefits but they aren't necessary.

The hiss on the E3 is not quiet at all. I've got one next to me and it is very obvious with IEMs.

You don't understand how VSS works so don't bother to comment. SBX Pro Studio is not the best VSS either. There is Fong Audio and New Audio Technology SSC but you've probably never heard of them.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #338 of 2,345
Everyone has his/her opinion on what should be the must-have feature and no one single device can universally appeal to all, as much as the manufacturer might try. Takes myself as an example, though I am not against a good EQ, SBX Pro Studio (or Scout Mode for the matter) has no value to me for music listening. The point is to see what is important and what is not important on an individual level as not everyone wants the same thing you or I want. All you can do is live with the choice and compromise you made, or search for a better solution.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #339 of 2,345

Razer Surround Sound is free. The Pro option has additional benefits but they aren't necessary.

The hiss on the E3 is not quiet at all. I've got one next to me and it is very obvious with IEMs.

You don't understand how VSS works so don't bother to comment. SBX Pro Studio is not the best VSS either. There is Fong Audio and New Audio Technology SSC but you've probably never heard of them.

The E5 has been literally dead quiet for me. Like zero-dot-zero noise.
Certainly the best noise figure I heard so far in a USB DAC plus amp combo.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #340 of 2,345

The E5 has been literally dead quiet for me. Like zero-dot-zero noise.
Certainly the best noise figure I heard so far in a USB DAC plus amp combo.

Probably there has been some inconsistency in production. Mine clearly has audible hiss using DUNU DN-1000 and DN-2000, not as quiet as my DACport, Dragonfly, and other DACs.
For comparison, my Creative X7 is much quieter than E5.

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #341 of 2,345
Hi Everyone, since my rPAC stopped working with my Note 3, im quute interested in this device. I have a couple of questions please, firstly does it have the otg part built in so all i need is standard micro usb cable and also if i stream [bluetooth] 24 bit flac to it, will that then pass through its onboard DAC? If so this seems to be ahead of the pack and worth the premium over say the ifi or E18? Many thanks.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #342 of 2,345
Hi Everyone, since my rPAC stopped working with my Note 3, im quute interested in this device. I have a couple of questions please, firstly does it have the otg part built in so all i need is standard micro usb cable and also if i stream [bluetooth] 24 bit flac to it, will that then pass through its onboard DAC? If so this seems to be ahead of the pack and worth the premium over say the ifi or E18? Many thanks.

Any micro usb cable should work but a "Sound Blaster Services" driver should be installed on Android devices for the best stability.
I think the aptx with AAC protocols is used for Blutooth which isnt lossless but somewhere around 384 kbps and most likely not 24 bit.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #343 of 2,345
So anyone here having a good experience with Android devices? I'm try to determine if something is wrong with my unit. on mine the Battery only last a little over an our and gets very warm after a few minutes when connected to my phone.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #344 of 2,345
So anyone here having a good experience with Android devices? I'm try to determine if something is wrong with my unit. on mine the Battery only last a little over an our and gets very warm after a few minutes when connected to my phone.

It has been discussed before. The short battery life is due to E5 constantly charging your smartphone. The reason for E5 charging your smartphone is because it is required by the official Android Open Accessories protocol (AOA) that is used by the E5 to communicate with any Android smartphone. It is a standard set by Google, not Creative. However, Creative has acknowledged the issue and they are looking for a solution.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #345 of 2,345

It has been discussed before. The short battery life is due to E5 constantly charging your smartphone. The reason for E5 charging your smartphone is because it is required by the official Android Open Accessories protocol (AOA) that is used by the E5 to communicate with any Android smartphone. It is a standard set by Google, not Creative. However, Creative has acknowledged the issue and they are looking for a solution.

I'm well aware of those circumstances (even though it doesn't explain how the Fiio E18 can get away with it.). My concern lies deeper than that, I think something might be wrong with my E5's battery. 1) it doesn't hold a full charge for very long even if the E5 is not being used. 2) Is the E5 supposed to heat up so quickly within 10-15 mins. when connected to an Android phone? 3) Creative did say that the battery would drain faster when connected to an Android phone, but did they intend for it to be only about 1 hour even when its plugged in to a wall charger? I haven't seen anyone comment on these issues to the extent that I've experienced them. So I'm curious if my E5 is actually working correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back