Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Nov 27, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #226 of 2,345
  Right now though I don't think the ASIO driver works as well as the WASPI, it doesn't like large buffer sizes and the volume knob on the E5 does'nt do anything. So WASPI is recommended. Ok but after I figured out all that, so far so good with using it as a DAC for a PC.

One major concern is that on my Android phone the E5 also charges the battery. This in my opinion is not necessary and just waste battery power, and might even add noise. I like the idea on the Fiio E18 to leave charging as optional.

I use foobar WASAPI event for E5, works well so far.

Yes, agree, charging of mobile phone should be made optional.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #227 of 2,345
Ok something is wrong, after a full charge, the E5 battery drained and was hot after 1.5 hours while connected to my phone. Is that normal?

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #228 of 2,345
Ok something is wrong, after a full charge, the E5 battery drained and was hot after 1.5 hours while connected to my phone. Is that normal?

You let it charge your phone for 1.5hrs?

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #229 of 2,345
Hahaha well my intentions were to listen to music for about an hour.....this is what I bought it for to use the E5 as a DAC for my phone, not to charge the battery. Thats a silly idea I dont know why Creative did that.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #231 of 2,345
HI! I have a question here. Can i listen music and charge E5 in same time? 

From a computer and Android device, yes you can.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #232 of 2,345
Hahaha well my intentions were to listen to music for about an hour.....this is what I bought it for to use the E5 as a DAC for my phone, not to charge the battery. Thats a silly idea I dont know why Creative did that.

But that is a problem though. The USB link should not allow power charge the connected device, not w/out an option to turn off the feature.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #233 of 2,345
But that is a problem though. The USB link should not allow power charge the connected device, not w/out an option to turn off the feature.

Exactly! This is only with Android devices though. Apple devices do not charge. But something is still wrong, it should at least last more than 1.5 hours and it should have not been so hot, compared to the E18 which last for much longer and always remains cool. It doesnt appear the E3 charges though.

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #236 of 2,345
This is about half the price of the E5, and looks very nice. I wonder how it sounds with re400?

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2661

In english:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audio-technica.co.jp%2Fatj%2Fshow_model.php%3FmodelId%3D2661&edit-text=&act=url

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #237 of 2,345
  It wouldn't add noise or interference, as it charges it over USB, which is a digital connection. 

It doesn't matter at this point, it (charging through the amp) doesn't belong there to begin with in my opinion. After using it a little more today I see the cons of such an implementation. I'm going to return my E5, there are some stability issues in it that need to be fixed first. Both on PC and on my Cellphone.

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #238 of 2,345
They're probably going to add an option for the charging thing (I think there was one in the beginning, but they may have removed it due to bugs or something and plan to add it back later).  What issues are you talking about?  A few software issues?  Those are bound to happen with anything, and Creative is making a real effort to change the stereotype about their buggy drivers, so I'm sure that as soon as these bugs/issues are reported they will have them fixed right away. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #239 of 2,345
I've been using E5 both from PC and smart phones, no software issue so far.  The only issue was only when I connected E5 to my Android phone, through USB, before turning it ON. And turned it ON after it is connected. The sound distorted.  But when I turned ON E5 before connecting, it is fine.  With PC no issue so far.

I do hear a very soft hiss noise when silent, on sensitive IEMs like DUNU DN-1000 and DN-2000. But not really audible on other IEMs, and no noise on headphones.
So, probably Creative can improve the headphone output to lower the noise floor even further.  Hopefully X7 would have lower headphone output noise floor.

The automatic charging when connected to phone via USB is quite annoying though... drain out the battery of E5 
confused_face.gif

Imagine if E5 is connected to tablet with 4000-5000 mAh battery, and the 3200 mAh E5 battery is charging those large batteries... 
confused_face.gif
  really doesn't make any sense to me.

Creative, please give option in the setting to set the charging option through USB an optional feature.  Thanks!

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #240 of 2,345
I've been using E5 both from PC and smart phones, no software issue so far.  The only issue was only when I connected E5 to my Android phone, through USB, before turning it ON. And turned it ON after it is connected. The sound distorted.  But when I turned ON E5 before connecting, it is fine.  With PC no issue so far.

I do hear a very soft hiss noise when silent, on sensitive IEMs like DUNU DN-1000 and DN-2000. But not really audible on other IEMs, and no noise on headphones.
So, probably Creative can improve the headphone output to lower the noise floor even further.  Hopefully X7 would have lower headphone output noise floor.

The automatic charging when connected to phone via USB is quite annoying though... drain out the battery of E5 :confused_face:
Imagine if E5 is connected to tablet with 4000-5000 mAh battery, and the 3200 mAh E5 battery is charging those large batteries... :confused_face:   really doesn't make any sense to me.

Creative, please give option in the setting to set the charging option through USB an optional feature.  Thanks!

How long did your battery last when connected to your phone? Did it your E5 get really warm?
I was listening with a pair of Creative Aurvana Live! 2 and I didnt notice any hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back