Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Jun 6, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #781 of 2,345
I am using the E5 with my Galaxy Note 3 and attempting to bypass the limiting Android driver so I can get full 24 bit/192k directly to the E5 using an OTG cable and USB Audio Player Pro (full paid-for Android app) which is designed to achieve this. I have tried 2 different OTG cables but the app does not see the E5. My OTG cable works with USB drives showing as external storage so does that prove that my OTG cable is all OK? Is there any known compatability issue between the USB Audio Player Pro app and the E5?

I do get full 24bit/192k when playing sounds directly from my Windows 10 PC so the E5 is certainly working - sounds great too.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #782 of 2,345
So when I switched to 24bit / 192000Hz, all music and videos that I listen to on Google chrome are messed up, it has static and stutter.  But this only happen when I use Google Chrome, when I use Internet Explorer or other browser it's fine.

Does anyone have this issue with their E5?

Chrome on Windows 10 stutters - may not be related to the E5. I have had this problem too. All works fine with Spartan/Edge..

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #783 of 2,345
I am using the E5 with my Galaxy Note 3 and attempting to bypass the limiting Android driver so I can get full 24 bit/192k directly to the E5 using an OTG cable and USB Audio Player Pro (full paid-for Android app) which is designed to achieve this. I have tried 2 different OTG cables but the app does not see the E5. My OTG cable works with USB drives showing as external storage so does that prove that my OTG cable is all OK? Is there any known compatability issue between the USB Audio Player Pro app and the E5?

I do get full 24bit/192k when playing sounds directly from my Windows 10 PC so the E5 is certainly working - sounds great too.

Any suggestions appreciated.

First, you need to be sure that your E5 has the latest firmware. Second, you must disable E5's charging (by double press on the power button and it will start flashing) or else your smartphone might not have enough power to detect it.

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #784 of 2,345

First, you need to be sure that your E5 has the latest firmware. Second, you must disable E5's charging (by double press on the power button and it will start flashing) or else your smartphone might not have enough power to detect it.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am on the latest firmware. Changing the charging status sounded promising but unfortunately did not work.

I have ordered a new OTG cable as it seems some don't work. In every case my Note 3 detects the USB device is connected but the app reports:

"Android did not find any devices and Linux didn't either. This probably means that your device does not support USB host mode or you do not have the specially required USB OTG cable."

I know USB host mode works, but only through Android, not the app with 24/192 support. 

Any other suggestions will be appreciated. I'll let you know if a new OTG cable makes any difference. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #785 of 2,345
Hello ClieOS & experts,

I have a Creative E5 and a Sony A15 MP3. I connect them with Sony WMC-NWH10 cable and Transcend TS-HUB3K usb hub. Both A15 & E5 has reported DEVICE CONNECTTED but there's no sound from E5. So I wonder whether it's because E5 cannot recognize the audio stream from A15.

Cld u help me to get the answer and the better find a solution? Thanks!

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #786 of 2,345

So when I switched to 24bit / 192000Hz, all music and videos that I listen to on Google chrome are messed up, it has static and stutter.  But this only happen when I use Google Chrome, when I use Internet Explorer or other browser it's fine.

Does anyone have this issue with their E5?

Chrome on Windows 10 stutters - may not be related to the E5. I have had this problem too. All works fine with Spartan/Edge..

Do you know if it works fine on Chrome on Windows 8 or 8.1?

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #787 of 2,345
Any other suggestions will be appreciated. I'll let you know if a new OTG cable makes any difference. 

What kind of OTG cable has you tried and what kind are you ordering?

Note that to get E5 USB Host mode working with UAPP, you need the microUSB-to-microUSB OTG cable.

Hello ClieOS & experts,

I have a Creative E5 and a Sony A15 MP3. I connect them with Sony WMC-NWH10 cable and Transcend TS-HUB3K usb hub. Both A15 & E5 has reported DEVICE CONNECTTED but there's no sound from E5. So I wonder whether it's because E5 cannot recognize the audio stream from A15.

Cld u help me to get the answer and the better find a solution? Thanks!

Sorry to inform you but A15+WMC-NWH10 only work on some USB DAC but not all. In the case of E5, it doesn't.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #790 of 2,345
Got my E5 today.  Took some shots for you guys.  Need more time to listen for impressions.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #793 of 2,345
Is it weird that I can control the line out volume ( through USB host ) from my iDevice when I connect the E5 to a desktop amp? The volume pot on the E5 also works too. Isn't volume control usually disabled ?

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #794 of 2,345
after firmware update, battery run out when plug into laptop and playing (What?). The charge mode is not turning off (power button light not flashing).
Does anyone know how to revert back to the old firmware? ( i dont need scoutmode and otg usb, im fine with the E5 charge my phone)

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #795 of 2,345

The Host port on the E5 is full-sized USB. The microUSB port on the E5 is only for a PC connection and charging according to the E5 manual I downloaded. If I found a micro-to-micro then I would also need an adapter or do you mean that it will work on the PC/microUSB port? Thanks for your reply.

Ah, as I have suspected - the red part is where you get it wrong. The USB Host mode is only recently added to the E5 via its latest firmware (which is why you don't see it in the E5 manual, as it is written before this update and the info is outdated), and it ONLY applies to E5's microUSB port. The USB-A (full sized) only supports AOA mode (limits to 16/48), which UAPP doesn't support. If you use the USB-A port, you need the official Creative app on the PlayStore.

What you need looks like this, with microUSB on both ends.
kos-cable1_1024x1024.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back