Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Mar 7, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #256 of 645
As I said, I received this on Wednesday. I was away for the weekend and it only got a little light use on Thursday and Friday. Got home Sunday night and tried to watch some TV via my PC listening on headphones via the G5. After about 30 minutes there was a loud popping and crackling sound that lasted a second or two and then nothing. No sound at all. The thing is completely dead. It lights up but no sound.

The reviews on Amazon.com were completely accurate. This is an appalling quality product and should be avoided. There are obviously serious production issues and little or no quality control. I am awaiting a reply to my RMA request and will be getting a refund. I regret not listening to the reviews so I'm not bothering with a replacement. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #257 of 645
this is really weird. Mine is still running since the first day it was possible for it to arrive. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #259 of 645
  As I said, I received this on Wednesday. I was away for the weekend and it only got a little light use on Thursday and Friday. Got home Sunday night and tried to watch some TV via my PC listening on headphones via the G5. After about 30 minutes there was a loud popping and crackling sound that lasted a second or two and then nothing. No sound at all. The thing is completely dead. It lights up but no sound.

The reviews on Amazon.com were completely accurate. This is an appalling quality product and should be avoided. There are obviously serious production issues and little or no quality control. I am awaiting a reply to my RMA request and will be getting a refund. I regret not listening to the reviews so I'm not bothering with a replacement. 

Have you tried it on another PC or anything?

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #260 of 645
  Usually mixing sound card drivers will give you problems, thats why many recommend uninstalling the other sound card and drivers.

It really is a hit or miss if you get no problems while having to different audio sources installed, well I should say lucky....

I don't see why it should be, though, the way Windows handles sound devices. I didn't have to remove the ASUS Xonar DG I had to use my FiiO E10K. For that matter, I never disabled onboard sound either (until last month, when I was troubleshooting the G5). Hell, everyone with a modern video card has a secondary sound device, because you can do sound over HDMI.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #262 of 645
  I don't see why it should be, though, the way Windows handles sound devices. I didn't have to remove the ASUS Xonar DG I had to use my FiiO E10K. For that matter, I never disabled onboard sound either (until last month, when I was troubleshooting the G5). Hell, everyone with a modern video card has a secondary sound device, because you can do sound over HDMI.

I know what you mean but sometimes, its tends to be software/driver problems. If you manage to get it to work right than thats good but several other people would still have problems with such set ups. Windows is just weird like that sometimes.

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #263 of 645
I have to be honest and say Creative are awful. I knew I should have waited until Amazon UK had stock. First of all, for a faulty product that lasted just 3 days, I am expected to pay the return postage. So due to their poor products, I am out of pocket. That just doesn't seem right to me. Then they say they take 10-15 business days to issue a refund.

Maybe I'm just used to buying from Amazon where the customer service is excellent, where they pay for return postage on faulty items (and rightly so) and refund the same day they receive the item.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #264 of 645
Doesn't really seem honest as much as your emotions after a bad experience. Indeed, it does sound like a bad experience though. For the RMA to get the G5 fixed, did you ask Creative, or are you just asking the store you bought from for a return & refund? I had an underperforming E1 once, and I don't recall having to pay postage for Creative to repair it (they ended up sending a new one). Some credit cards also have the perk of refunding return shipping costs, so you could check for that.

Let's see, I've had 2 Recon3D USB processors, a Z internal card, an Omni external, two E1's (one was underperforming so Creative sent me another), an E5, an X7, and three headphones. 1 out of 11 had a problem, and creative fixed it. Defects occur in any product, but among large sample sizes (larger than mine even) the rate of defects has to be low.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #265 of 645
  I have to be honest and say Creative are awful. I knew I should have waited until Amazon UK had stock. First of all, for a faulty product that lasted just 3 days, I am expected to pay the return postage. So due to their poor products, I am out of pocket. That just doesn't seem right to me. Then they say they take 10-15 business days to issue a refund.

Maybe I'm just used to buying from Amazon where the customer service is excellent, where they pay for return postage on faulty items (and rightly so) and refund the same day they receive the item.

Agreed, I'm pissed I had to pay to ship mine back to Creative as well. Luckily, I live quite close to them, so I think it only cost me six bucks, but it's still a drag. I wish I'd bought from Amazon, but when I purchased my G5 there was a pretty big coupon code available from Creative and Amazon didn't sell it yet.

The new one seems to be working fine, luckily. Played about...well, FAR too many hours of video games over the last three days and didn't have any problems whatsoever. I'm honestly pretty pleased with the product, although it has some issues that I think something costing $150 shouldn't. The noise floor is way higher than my FiiO E10K, for example, which only cost $80. That said, that's only noticeable with some pretty sensitive headphones, Audio Technica MSR7s.

All-in-all, they don't really have a competitor at all for the G5. No one makes a product with similar features that also has a low-enough output impedance to be considered an "audiophile" product. It's a great product that seems to have some QC issues right now.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #266 of 645
I might try another one when it comes down in price but I don't think the quality of it is worth £130. Perhaps I'll wait and see what amazon UK sell it for although they are still not stocking it.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #269 of 645
Hi, I just picked up a G5 at my local Fry's.
I wasn't looking for anything this fancy, or expensive, I am really just looking for something that will let me hear my own voice while talking on a headset with mic in conference calls.

I plugged the G5 into my Win10 machine, auto detect, headphones and mic work.

I then download and installed the acoustic engine software, did the helicopter demo, cool, click the profile tab, the app keeps hanging, reboot hang, unplug hang, had to uninstall the app to get basic sound working again.

I am running the latest insider build of Win10 Pro x64, and the 15 Feb BAEP_PCDRV_L7_1_01_12 version of the software

Anybody with any advice on how to get the software working without it hanging all the time?

Update:
After half a day the G5 stopped working, I would listen to audio, hear some crackles, then a loud pop, the light on the G5 turns off, and the device disappears from the PC, reboot, repeat.
Going back to the store :frowning2:

Now I know there is a thousands page thread on gaming headsets, I am beginning to want to just give up on looking for a headset, vs. using my trusty old Sony MDR-7506's headphones, and finding an attachment style microphone, and maybe using a MixAmp Pro TR?
Any recommendations for a separate but somehow attachable, clothes or headphones, microphone?

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #270 of 645
Get the replacement G5 first, and if that fails again then an Omni.

Mixamp doesn't cut it on the PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back