Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Mar 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #271 of 645
  Hi, I just picked up a G5 at my local Fry's.
I wasn't looking for anything this fancy, or expensive, I am really just looking for something that will let me hear my own voice while talking on a headset with mic in conference calls.

I plugged the G5 into my Win10 machine, auto detect, headphones and mic work.

I then download and installed the acoustic engine software, did the helicopter demo, cool, click the profile tab, the app keeps hanging, reboot hang, unplug hang, had to uninstall the app to get basic sound working again.

I am running the latest insider build of Win10 Pro x64, and the 15 Feb BAEP_PCDRV_L7_1_01_12 version of the software

Anybody with any advice on how to get the software working without it hanging all the time?

Update:
After half a day the G5 stopped working, I would listen to audio, hear some crackles, then a loud pop, the light on the G5 turns off, and the device disappears from the PC, reboot, repeat.
Going back to the store :frowning2:

Now I know there is a thousands page thread on gaming headsets, I am beginning to want to just give up on looking for a headset, vs. using my trusty old Sony MDR-7506's headphones, and finding an attachment style microphone, and maybe using a MixAmp Pro TR?
Any recommendations for a separate but somehow attachable, clothes or headphones, microphone?

V-Moda BoomPro + any headphone with a detachable 3.5mm cable

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #273 of 645
Or Antlion ModMic and any headphone.

I've had the ModMic for a year and a half now. As far as convenience goes, the BoomPro is miles ahead.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #274 of 645
I've had the ModMic for a year and a half now. As far as convenience goes, the BoomPro is miles ahead.

IF your headphones have a single 3.5mm input.

I would say the convenience goes to the ModMic that can be used with ANY headphone.

But the BoomPro is a cleaner and easier IF your headset supports it.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #275 of 645
IF your headphones have a single 3.5mm input.

I would say the convenience goes to the ModMic that can be used with ANY headphone.

But the BoomPro is a cleaner and easier IF your headset supports it.

I had the Modmic cable and the HD598 cable tied together for a long time.

It worked well, was rather tidy but made the cable (or rather, two cables) rather stiff. Also, one side of the headphone was heavier than the other due to the weight of the mic. Additionally the mic suddenly became non-detachable (due to being attached to the headphone cable)

The tidiest possible solution for me would actually be the Beyerdynamic Custom Headset Gear. The microphone itself can be detached from the cable, so if the user would want to get rid of the microphone (for whatever reason) but didn't want to swap the entire cable, they could do that. It looks like this:

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #276 of 645
I got a replacement G5, this one seems to works fine, hope it keeps on working.

Primary reason I got this was because the the USB adapter on my HyperX Cloud II does not support direct monitoring (confirmed by Kingston tech support), and the Cloud II's isolate so well I can't hear my own voice, and tend to speak too loud.
I really don't get it, any cheap $5 USB audio plug supports mic monitoring, why not the Cloud II?

So direct monitoring on the G5 does work, but there is the slightest of audio delay, anybody with any advice on how to hear yourself talking on the mic without any delay?

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #277 of 645
I had the Modmic cable and the HD598 cable tied together for a long time.

It worked well, was rather tidy but made the cable (or rather, two cables) rather stiff. Also, one side of the headphone was heavier than the other due to the weight of the mic. Additionally the mic suddenly became non-detachable (due to being attached to the headphone cable)

The tidiest possible solution for me would actually be the Beyerdynamic Custom Headset Gear. The microphone itself can be detached from the cable, so if the user would want to get rid of the microphone (for whatever reason) but didn't want to swap the entire cable, they could do that. It looks like this:

I don't know if you mentioned it early, but have you tried the v-moda Mic?

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #278 of 645
I don't know if you mentioned it early, but have you tried the v-moda Mic?

I did not use it, however I'm familiar with it.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #280 of 645
I wonder if Creative is still committed to bringing DD5.1 decoding capability to the G5, I asked about this to customer support and got this response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Creative.

We regret to inform you that we do not have plans to add Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding functionality to the Sound BlasterX G5 sound card.
You can connect this sound card via USB port on the PS4 console for gaming.

Let's hope is just the usual case of company internal miscommunication.

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #281 of 645
I decided to get a replacement but last night this one "popped" too. There was no crackling noise this time though, just a loud pop and then it was dead.

Sorry but there has to be a production issue with the G5 at the moment. There are other people in this thread saying theirs died, people on Amazon too. This is more than the usual percentage that you expect from any electrical product.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #282 of 645
I wonder if Creative is still committed to bringing DD5.1 decoding capability to the G5, I asked about this to customer support and got this response:

Let's hope is just the usual case of company internal miscommunication.

Either that or they're trying to keep it a secret. Back when I used to work in CS there were lots of stuff we weren't allowed to tell our customers before they were officially announced.
G5 on the way! Also a BT-W2, and an iRoar. Honestly loved the original Roar during dinner or entertaining guests, but it seems to have gotten lost.

Weren't You saving for a wedding? Or is the iRoar meant to be a part of PA system used at the reception? In that case, try the iRoar Mic.
"Great for speeches, perfect for wedding vows"

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #283 of 645
I decided to get a replacement but last night this one "popped" too. There was no crackling noise this time though, just a loud pop and then it was dead.

Sorry but there has to be a production issue with the G5 at the moment. There are other people in this thread saying theirs died, people on Amazon too. This is more than the usual percentage that you expect from any electrical product.

What are you connecting it to?

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #285 of 645
No, but you can output SBX via Line Out to an amp. Useless right now if you are a console only gamer. If you play on PC and want a SBX capable DAC then ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back