Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Mar 21, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #286 of 645
No, but you can output SBX via Line Out to an amp. Useless right now if you are a console only gamer. If you play on PC and want a SBX capable DAC then ok.

So the G5 can outpout SBX surround to the Optical out on the G5, so can I connect to an external DAC / Amp or do I need a DAC / Amp that can decode the optical out from the G5?

I just bought the Chord Mojo DAC / Amp so I'm trying to get SBX surround out to it.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #287 of 645
You can either enjoy SBX through your own dac and amp or amp only.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #288 of 645
NEW DRIVER BAEP_PCDRV_L7_1_01_13

adds FIRMWARE UPDATE option in the menu. Not sure about other profile/technical changes. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #290 of 645
My G5 has been working fine for 6 weeks. I ordered from Amazon at the beginning of February. It is in use daily, and I've had some long-ish sessions with it powered on for maybe 5 or 6 hours of continuous use.

My first gripe with the unit is that I cannot use the software to switch between the front headphone out and the rear line out. Ideally I could leave my speakers plugged into the back and my headphones into the front and switch between them in the software. I have to physically plug and unplug the front headphone jack. Oh well :frowning2:

What's really annoying me is I cannot get instant mic monitoring into the headset. When I enable the mic listening toggle, my voice has a 300ms or so delay. Is this normal or am I just doing something wrong?

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #291 of 645
I wonder if Creative is still committed to bringing DD5.1 decoding capability to the G5, I asked about this to customer support and got this response:

Let's hope is just the usual case of company internal miscommunication.

Either that or they're trying to keep it a secret. Back when I used to work in CS there were lots of stuff we weren't allowed to tell our customers before they were officially announced.
G5 on the way! Also a BT-W2, and an iRoar. Honestly loved the original Roar during dinner or entertaining guests, but it seems to have gotten lost.

Weren't You saving for a wedding? Or is the iRoar meant to be a part of PA system used at the reception? In that case, try the iRoar Mic.
"Great for speeches, perfect for wedding vows"

Lol hilarious... Though I did get the Mic too. Both have surprisingly high gain... Who knows, maybe it will see some use in our low-budget wedding?

I am indeed still saving for the wedding. Looks like the finances are coming together actually. My fiancé may not come from money, but she's definitely helping with her friends and connections.

Speaking of connections, Creative put out an offer during the summer, asking for people to review their products. That's how I got the E5. I reviewed that, and actually got to meet Ryan at RMAF (along with a bunch of other Head-Fi'ers and industry people). Don't let other enthusiast forums fool you, if you are part of the Head-Fi community for awhile, and go to CanJams, you'll realize that the community people and the industry people intermingle and the "line" gets blurred, especially as you make friends and you see modders and DIY'ers get "industry insider" status as they start or join the business side. Anyway I met Ryan and three other guys from Creative, they know about my reviews I've done on other products of theirs and others. You know I'm pretty passionate about the different DSP devices, so conversation was EASY. Ryan said they'd like to get some more of their stuff in my hands for review (and then they got busy for awhile), but then they sent me some stuff so I could write about them. Just arrived before I left on Easter to visit family.

Kind of a win-win, though I'm glad they have also been listening to my (and others) more critical feedback on things like the E1 (low-noise with IEMs and a pretty good value if you need a DAC and amp at entry-level price, but the amp is kind of anemic for harder-to-drive headphones like my K612) and X7 (for being a solid all-in-one gaming unit, the need for console mic workarounds is frustrating).

I just finished a review of the ZMF Vibro MKII (gonna be sad to see that go), so G5 is next! Sorely needs more detailed reviews IMO, about what it is and what it ain't.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #292 of 645
I plan to pick up the Mic too. Using the line input on that thing and headphone out on Vox Amplug amp I'll be able to connect a guitar wirelessly to the X7 and practice.
Or it can be used to transmit chat audio from the Xbox One controller to the X7.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #294 of 645
NEW DRIVER BAEP_PCDRV_L7_1_01_15

http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=13638

That was quick. Don't know yet what changes are in this but NO new firmware yet if you came for this.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #296 of 645
For me the new driver fixed issues I was having with the SBX Surround.  Before this update (as you might have seen me complain of earlier in this thread) the placement of audio was awful... moreover, there was a constant, what sounded like, phasing issue going on. 

For those that aren't familiar with audio recording or wave-forms and how they interact (I'm guessing most people on here do... but just in case): Phasing is the location of the peak portion in a wave form related to a copy of the wave (or substantially similar form of the wave) and the affect, be it cancellation or amplification, of that sound wave... In layman's terms, phase cancellation (the principle behind noise cancellation headphones) occurs when a wave form is flipped 180 degrees and played over the original wave form. I.E. the upper crest of one wave (think of it as a number or similar to electricity, lets call it +120) is added to the lower crest of the other wave (this would be the exact opposite in the case of flipping a wave 180 degrees, or -120).  120-120=0  in this case, the wave form would completely cancel out (on paper... in practice it is tough to get them to line up perfectly, even with software).... or, if you stacked both waves without inverting 180 degrees (120 + 120 = 240) you would effectively double the perceived audio volume of the wave (or 3db increase) - you can witness this in any DAW.

Anyways... you can experience this in life by singing in a shower...  As you sing a note, the waves produced bounce of the shower walls and come back at you, depending on the wave length (different notes being sung have different wave lengths, and different harmonic waves lengths). Some wavelengths will line up perfectly with each other and boost the volume of some notes you sing, while other wavelengths may be close to perfectly inverted and reduce the volume of those notes.   As an experiment, try starting from one note and incrementally sing higher and higher pitch notes (or lower and lower notes) and listen to which get amplified and which seem quieter and harder to hear.  You may find one bass note that seems to rattle the walls (my shower boosts the pitch of a D2 I am able to sing... barely... and what would normally be very hard to hear, as it is the second to lowest note I can physically hit, instead gets amplified and fills the bathroom with such a pleasant bass that could about rattle a toothbrush off the counter... okay maybe not quite... but still)

Okay... So... Now that all of that has been said, what the G5 previously sounded like when running SBX 3D Surround was akin to phase cancellation on a larger scale. It basically made ambient sounds in games such as a wind, water, and others sound awful (basically anything that gets played from the far sides of both ears, as the SBX algorithm creates the illusion of a room by digitally reflecting some sounds from the right side of your ear phones and delay playing them in the left side - this relates to how your mind handles audio, micro delays, and calculates the distance and location based on the slight differences... I believe I wrote another post on how this works if you are interested).

The sounds of ambient noises were generally off, sounding sort of like they were being played under water (an effect of phase cancellation at multiple frequencies) which really ruined the 3D effect for me.  As such, since I bought the G5 I have been using it along side Soundblaster's old X-Fi MB3 software based AAX... Which lowered my maximum bit rate to 48,000 Hz, but in general sounded far better than the constant phase cancellation of the G5's built in SBX 3D Surround...

Anyways, the point of this post was to mention the latest update to .15 cured my phase cancellation problems, and the built in surround now sounds substantially better than it did, moreover, sounds better and has better placement than both the X-Fi MB3 had and the X7 had (back when I was testing it, newer updates may have improved the surround in that as well, but it was relatively comparable with the X-Fi MB3 at the time, probably mostly due to the 5.1 channel limitation)

This said, it could have been a coincidence... Perhaps previously the drivers were corrupted in my installs, perhaps the latest update finally fixed this corruption... though I had installed two other updates previously without the issues being fixed...

Other than this, I am not sure what else has changed in the latest driver update... I certainly wish they would post some release notes when they release new drivers/firmware... you know, like ANY OTHER COMPANY... just saying.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #297 of 645
  For me the new driver fixed issues I was having with the SBX Surround.  Before this update (as you might have seen me complain of earlier in this thread) the placement of audio was awful... moreover, there was a constant, what sounded like, phasing issue going on. 

For those that aren't familiar with audio recording or wave-forms and how they interact (I'm guessing most people on here do... but just in case): Phasing is the location of the peak portion in a wave form related to a copy of the wave (or substantially similar form of the wave) and the affect, be it cancellation or amplification, of that sound wave... In layman's terms, phase cancellation (the principle behind noise cancellation headphones) occurs when a wave form is flipped 180 degrees and played over the original wave form. I.E. the upper crest of one wave (think of it as a number or similar to electricity, lets call it +120) is added to the lower crest of the other wave (this would be the exact opposite in the case of flipping a wave 180 degrees, or -120).  120-120=0  in this case, the wave form would completely cancel out (on paper... in practice it is tough to get them to line up perfectly, even with software).... or, if you stacked both waves without inverting 180 degrees (120 + 120 = 240) you would effectively double the perceived audio volume of the wave (or 3db increase) - you can witness this in any DAW.

Anyways... you can experience this in life by singing in a shower...  As you sing a note, the waves produced bounce of the shower walls and come back at you, depending on the wave length (different notes being sung have different wave lengths, and different harmonic waves lengths). Some wavelengths will line up perfectly with each other and boost the volume of some notes you sing, while other wavelengths may be close to perfectly inverted and reduce the volume of those notes.   As an experiment, try starting from one note and incrementally sing higher and higher pitch notes (or lower and lower notes) and listen to which get amplified and which seem quieter and harder to hear.  You may find one bass note that seems to rattle the walls (my shower boosts the pitch of a D2 I am able to sing... barely... and what would normally be very hard to hear, as it is the second to lowest note I can physically hit, instead gets amplified and fills the bathroom with such a pleasant bass that could about rattle a toothbrush off the counter... okay maybe not quite... but still)

Okay... So... Now that all of that has been said, what the G5 previously sounded like when running SBX 3D Surround was akin to phase cancellation on a larger scale. It basically made ambient sounds in games such as a wind, water, and others sound awful (basically anything that gets played from the far sides of both ears, as the SBX algorithm creates the illusion of a room by digitally reflecting some sounds from the right side of your ear phones and delay playing them in the left side - this relates to how your mind handles audio, micro delays, and calculates the distance and location based on the slight differences... I believe I wrote another post on how this works if you are interested).

The sounds of ambient noises were generally off, sounding sort of like they were being played under water (an effect of phase cancellation at multiple frequencies) which really ruined the 3D effect for me.  As such, since I bought the G5 I have been using it along side Soundblaster's old X-Fi MB3 software based AAX... Which lowered my maximum bit rate to 48,000 Hz, but in general sounded far better than the constant phase cancellation of the G5's built in SBX 3D Surround...

Anyways, the point of this post was to mention the latest update to .15 cured my phase cancellation problems, and the built in surround now sounds substantially better than it did, moreover, sounds better and has better placement than both the X-Fi MB3 had and the X7 had (back when I was testing it, newer updates may have improved the surround in that as well, but it was relatively comparable with the X-Fi MB3 at the time, probably mostly due to the 5.1 channel limitation)

This said, it could have been a coincidence... Perhaps previously the drivers were corrupted in my installs, perhaps the latest update finally fixed this corruption... though I had installed two other updates previously without the issues being fixed...

Other than this, I am not sure what else has changed in the latest driver update... I certainly wish they would post some release notes when they release new drivers/firmware... you know, like ANY OTHER COMPANY... just saying.

Yea I noticed the SBX Surround is much better with this latest Driver Update.  They should have post a note or something for every Driver update and tell us what they have done or fix.  Comon Creative, you can do better than that.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #298 of 645
It would be cool if they would get some firmware out for us console users.

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #299 of 645
Yea I noticed the SBX Surround is much better with this latest Driver Update.  They should have post a note or something for every Driver update and tell us what they have done or fix.  Comon Creative, you can do better than that.

Are you guys referring to the surround mode in the acoustic engine tab? I only tested that once and found it awful but guess could test it again if it's improved. I just use 7.1 mode with mild eq and everything else off. Love the way it sounds in games. Music I switch back to stereo.

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #300 of 645
Hey guys,

Im wondering about purchasing G5 to pair it with my HD 558 and modmike and I will use it mainly for playing games (FPS, RPG) and for music, just lightly for movies.

What I need is quite good DAC for nice listening experience while have an option to turn on surround sound for somewhat competetive gaming.

I think G5 would serve me well, but what are your experience or can you recommend different option? I was also wondering about Fiio e10k, but I need surround sound for games. I dont want internal soundcard. I want external solution.

Thanks for any advice! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back