Creative Aurvana Live! CAL! vs Beyerdynamic DT235
Apr 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aussiebuddha

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys.
I'm looking to buy a set of entry level full sized headphones, and currently between these 2 models.
I've seen very good reviews on the CAL! as well as the the DT235. however, there are 2 things that point me towards the DT235 slightly.

1) Noise isolation, I'm planning to use them at home so not a huge need, however, I live next to a busy road and every now and then some tool speeds by with a custom exhaust and rumbles the whole flat.
2) Price. it seems the Beyerdynamics are cheaper.

What are your thoughts?

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi aussiebuddha!

I own both of them.

Considering isolation capabilities, both are poor at isloating outside sounds.
But, when I play music at moderate level, I found the CAL! more efficient at blocking ouside noise.

Funny thing, both are listed as closed phones, but none of them really excel at isolation...

The Beyerdynamic have more linear FR, though I like SQ of the CAL! more.
Beyer is IMHO good mid-fi phone, with no real strength.
CAL! has quick, responsive sound with much nicer, but quite (for me) overblown bass.

Just my 2 cents.
Moonwalker

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Moonwalker for the detailed information.
I've decided to go with the CAL!s for the time being. at the end of the day, they're not expensive, so if I dont like them I can buy te Beyerdynamics later.
I found 2xCAL!s for AU$110 with shipping included. bargain in my eyes.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 6
You are welcome!

Just one more thing: Beyers are nearly unusable for walking, with their long, thick cable and noise generating auto adjusting headband.
CAL!, OTOH, are just fine for a stroll.

Moonwalker

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 6
BTW: I wrote to golden ears about this.
Thy reckon theyre both as good, just different sonically and it's a matter of preference.
I just received my CAL! and they sound quite good, waiting for the burn in.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Sorry for dragging up this old thread. The other thing about the Beyer... Does it seem to clamp your head with a lot of force? Just wondering if a got one that was misformed or something. The sound of it is really pretty good. I was thinking of cutting the cable down, changing the strap so it doesn't make noise, but the clamping for is pretty hardcore. Anyone have a way to alleviate it?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back