Crazy but true story of how this pauper got the girl and hifi equipment...Where there's a will, there is a way even for the poor hifiman >:D
Mar 8, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #31 of 109
Great story.
smile_phones.gif

Sorry for your wallet hehe

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #32 of 109
Mar 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #33 of 109
hehe...i wonder how much better it could possibly sound?  I'm guessing with 192-320kbps mp3s I won't be able to tell the difference?  

I perused an interesting article that my friend sent me the other day.......

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #35 of 109
Again, absolutely heart-warming story. Makes me feel like listening to music!

Fellow pauper here as well. College student who hasn't had a job since 2011.....but just bought some ATH-AD2000s. Don't even ask me how I pulled that one off. 
ph34r.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #36 of 109
Thank you.  I'm really surprised at how much of a positive reception this story has been given.  Maybe I should write a book someday..  :p

[I'll append the original post with this]

As you can tell, I like to tell things in excruciating detail.  I argue the same way, so you don't want to get into an argument with me!  hehe  However, I never embellish or exaggerate a single detail to the least degree.  I can't stand it when I argue with even my best friend who makes HUGE exaggerations just to make a point--but they're so out of proportion, that it's completely unfair!  

I was a hopeless romantic since Pre-first, 1st grade.........  For me it was seriously one huge crush after the other.  I would write diaries in middle school...  LOL.  Most of the time, I was left wondering if they even knew I existed.  And you don't know how much effort I put into trying to subtly and indiscreetly create chance encounters so I could get the girl to notice me, but alas it was only until the 2nd year of college after spending my entire freshman year SUBTLY nonchalantly chasing after one girl, that I had my first girlfriend.  That lasted like 3-4 years until I had to call it quits.  My break-up words were something like, "It must be hard for you, knowing how much I love you and you don't have those feelings in return.  I'll give up"...   My 2nd (and penultimate relationship) lasted 4 and a half years when out of the blue, only a month or so after finally getting acknowledgement of the relationship by my parents, she decided to break up with me.  Just like that.  Needless to say, my world came crashing down.  I was more than 50lbs overweight, got laid off the week after the breakup due to missing a couple days of work, and then 

Another crazy thing is my wife says she didn't have any feelings or thoughts up until I gave her a mood ring which kept telling her that she was "in love".   (she's a really honest person..I'm not sure but she may have never lied in her life....Might be a Buddhist thing.  I'm more used to being a hypocritical Christian and being around a bunch of hypocrites)..... anyway, a couple days before we started dating (I already told you that within the first week I met her, I told her I wanted to marry her...and told her that constantly), I took her to the beach.  It was a really windy and rainy day at the beach, so after walking on the beach for a little bit, we stopped by the local aquarium's store (because it was closed).  I bought her a mood ring and a sand dollar.  I explained to her what it was and I guess she saw the "key" for which color means what...  I saw her looking at the ring at least  few times the rest of the day.  I thought she was just kinda fascinated at the color change and thought maybe they didn't have them in Korea).  Well, she later told me that she was just intrigued because it kept on turning the color for being in love.  She says she HONESTLY didn't have any feelings for me until looking at that ring and wondering why it kept turning the color for love?  So that windy rainy day at the beach inspired me to write this piano piece....the melody to which I later turned into my proposal song!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHlXJn10QaE

I used to not even be able to look directly at a pretty girl in the room.  It killed me that my friends would/could completely turn their heads and some were bold enough to look at them long enough to get caught :p  

Anyway, the fact that I am an only child may explain a lot about the way I am, but it also for sure explains how i can speak Korean pretty fluently.  Most 2nd generation Koreans lose the language for the most part because they talk exclusively in English with siblings once they start school. I haven't been very careful to write in proper sentences here, but I am pretty good at correcting grammar and pronunciation.  My wife came to the US for the first time while working on her masters to just take a break from it all.  My parents were concerned at first because they were suspicious of her motives (i.e. Greencard marriage, etc.  Especially before 9-11, it was a BIG business...  People would literally pay $50,000-$150,000 to do a green-card marriage).  I didn't clarify this earlier.  The fact that they verified that she actually went to SNU, calmed their fears a little).  I had learned spanish for 8 years and also taught English in Korea during a Christmas break and it was enjoyable to me.  My korean is maybe a 10 year old native level, although I get made fun of for my accent, which my fellow Korean friends think is a gringo (American) accent.  It actually comes more from the fact that my mom is from a particular town in Korea that uses a slightly different accent/dialect.  I don't have a very large vocabulary, but I can express myself even better than I can in English as a whole (I think Korean is a more "intimate" language--it's easier to make really accurate depictions of feelings/descriptions with simpler words)   I can only read/write at a maybe 2nd grade level...   You don't know how much I complained at my parents for only having me throughout the years.  Turned out to be something necessary for this whole thing to have worked out.  The problem is now that we almost exclusively speak in Korean at home, which isn't the best for her improving her English D:  Still, as descriptive/articulate that I try to be in English and having a college level education, I communicate better with my wife than I have with any other person in any language :)  

I'm getting caught up in too many details so I'll just sum it up with 2 more interesting tidbits.  My wife had always told herself that she'd never even DATE someone who is blood type B.  In Korea they've even made a movie about it--"My boyfriend is type B".  I guess it's because we have a short temper, apparently...kinda true for me now that I am more extroverted.  I think I mentioned it before a little earlier, but I was seriously bummed out after finding out the first day that she had a boyfriend.  I didn't want to waste any more time/money at that point, because my last date was with a girl who turned out to have a boyfriend...!  Every other girl I asked out pretty much had a boyfriend.  So, I was really in a "the good ones are all taken" mode..  The 2nd day I met with her was when I decided that I needed to go for broke.  3 weeks was what it took to finally wear her down :D  In reality, it was only a couple days before we started dating that she even considered dating me because of the mood ring...!   

The events that had to happen for us to actually get married and make everything work financially/satisfactorily with both sets of parents, etc is another miraculous story, which I'm positive won't be as interesting to you all :)  

Below is something I wrote in a response earlier, but I think should be added to the story.  It might get someone to give the piano just a couple hours....and then be hooked for life :D  Maybe I'll plug the piano instructor's band, which has been getting played on radios across the nation and you may have heard of them.  www.mnemonicsounds.com   Quite good

Quote:
One more thing I forgot to mention is that about a couple months before I meet my wife, I started taking piano lessons.  Everything I am playing on my youtube including the proposal song that I wrote is a product of 5 hours of lessons from a really great piano instructor.  Before I met my wife, PIANO was what I felt like was my long lost calling...I have found few things more satisfying and enjoyable as sitting down and playing songs that actually sound good and are easy to play.  I haven't taken any lessons since, but plan on it.  I can also just improve by practicing.  If you're no longer a kid, obviously it's gonna be hard for you to pick up an instrument.  Learn CHORDAL PIANO.  It's so easy.  Pretty much muscle memory.  I've heard of the Suzuki method, but I'm serious...find someone who can teach you chordal piano and you'll be able to play ANY song you want in no time.  It's the same as learning guitar chords and playing from a "fake book", except easier because you don't have to press down on strings with awkward hand positions like on the guitar.  Anyone who knows music should be able to teach it.  After maybe 2 hours of lessons and just a couple hours of practice, you will be well on your way.  The average person who has never played piano will never know that you're just a beginner player.  =)

Basically all I'm doing for most of my piano songs are playing the 3 note chord in the root position and just improvising a little with sus2 and sus4 keys.  Simplest example is the C chord.  You play C and G in left hand (I & V keys) and then on the right you play C, E, G (I, III, and V keys).  Csus2 and Csus4 is just playing the II or  IV key with the right hand.  So like CDEG (I, II, III, V) or CEFG (I,III,IV, V). 

This requires no musical talent, I promise.  :D

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #37 of 109
Heh, Koreans are diligent, disciplined, studious, but party equally hard. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
haha, that's cool.  are you both korean?  Dang.....we Koreans are supposed to be diligent, disciplined, and very studious... I'm none of those :'( 

hehehe, the twisted web we weave :p  You'll see bowei once you get married -_-

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #41 of 109

Quote:
You guys are a real generous bunch
beerchug.gif

any advice for someone like you? Shy, baffled at some of the things American(caucasian) guys do that you find embarasing, and ...just shy..any advice would do :)

I'm not outwardly shy and have many friends all over. But I just don't get close to anyone....be it male or female.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #42 of 109
How odd. The overwhelming majority of 2nd generation Koreans I know preserve their native tongue, even after they start school, since they often remain in Korean communities. San Fran, Atlanta, New York, etc. I've been to all of them, and most of the ankle biters there know Korean better than I do. Naturally, many 2nd generation Koreans (e.g., me) never pursued learning our native tongue, but I'm very sure most do.
Hehehehe, I've been called a gringo many times before by a Hispanic friend as well, though gringo isn't exactly a flattering moniker.
Verily agree with the last part. Whenever people ask me about my thoughts of Korean, I always describe it as a very romantic language.

Quote:

Most 2nd generation Koreans lose the language for the most part because they talk exclusively in English with siblings once they start school. I had learned spanish for 8 years and also taught English in Korea during a Christmas break and it was enjoyable to me. I get made fun of for my accent, which my fellow Korean friends think is a gringo (American) accent.  It actually comes more from the fact that my mom is from a particular town in Korea that uses a slightly different accent/dialect. I think Korean is a more "intimate" language--it's easier to make really accurate depictions of feelings/descriptions with simpler words

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #43 of 109
Well, for starters, you could begin posing the questions you're asking here to the friends you know in person. Friendship is usually formed through frivolous interaction, but it's nearly always deepened through discussions sparked by questions similar to what you're asking on this board.

Quote:
But I just don't get close to anyone....be it male or female.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #44 of 109

Quote:
Quote:
You guys are a real generous bunch
beerchug.gif

any advice for someone like you? Shy, baffled at some of the things American(caucasian) guys do that you find embarasing, and ...just shy..any advice would do :)

I'm not outwardly shy and have many friends all over. But I just don't get close to anyone....be it male or female.

Well, it's a start that you recognize that about yourself and you're asking for advice.  The start is half the battle.  I remember having a hard time saying something in the middle of my good friends' conversation.  It was as if I was playing frogger....I was too afraid to interrupt someone and be rude, I guess.  There was definitely stuff I wanted to say--it wasn't for lack of things I wanted to say and it frustrated me that I couldn't add to the conversation.  I didn't get it at the time, but my friends (and people in general) talk freely over each other because they are comfortable with themselves and don't really care if they talk over someone (especially if it's a friend).  Only a few years ago I became comfortable in my skin to the point where I was interrupting anyone and just apologizing for interrupting.  The point I'm getting at is, once you start to accept yourself for who you are, you'll be more comfortable in your own skin and around others.  I'm guessing you don't get close to, for example, a girl not because you don't want to, but because it's just not comfortable and it feels awkward. 

I know how it is to just have many friends, but I've always longed for those really good friends.  I've been blessed with a few in my life for sure.  I always get a sense of awe and respect when I watch those Korean gangster movies (like Chingoo aka "Friend"--you can rent it with subtitles :D) where they almost glorify ABSOLUTE friendship/loyalty that is even thicker than blood/family.  Definitely not telling you to turn your back on your family for a friend--don't get me wrong.  As for making *really* close friends--you gotta be as close of a friend that you want them to be...in fact, even more so most of the time.  Sometimes you're "rewarded" with an even better friend than you, yourself, are.  Those are rare and you want to keep them close forever.  Don't try to be anyone you're not, and don't think that you necessarily have to change.  However, if you see flaws in your character that you'd like improving--then by all means, work on it! 

Being in a relationship is very similar to having a close friend.  So, I would say work on finding yourself a "best" friend that you can trust with *anything*.  That will be incredibly fulfilling/rewarding, in and of itself.  Like Nom de Plume was saying, friends are usually made through frivolous interaction...don't be afraid to be too revealing of yourself--be okay with poking fun at yourself.  People like/appreciate self-deprecating humor, which is the opposite of being boastful and condescending.  You'll be surprised at how much someone will open up to you once you open up a little (same goes with relationships).  Afterall, in a relationship or good friendship, what's the point of being proper and just looking cool to one other?  Those "friends" are really nothing more than good acquaintances..

I think I learned late that for anyone to really like/love you, you have to like/love yourself.  In fact, I've heard that you can't really love someone, unless you love yourself.  I think that's absolutely true.

Feel free to PM me also--you've been more than helpful with fiio amp info :D  I'm guessing many people you've talked to on this board could be closer than most of the friends that you have in "real life".  You just gotta be willing to give and expect nothing in return, like you do for a lot of newb head-fi'ers :D

Quote:
How odd. The overwhelming majority of 2nd generation Koreans I know preserve their native tongue, even after they start school, since they often remain in Korean communities. San Fran, Atlanta, New York, etc. I've been to all of them, and most of the ankle biters there know Korean better than I do. Naturally, many 2nd generation Koreans (e.g., me) never pursued learning our native tongue, but I'm very sure most do.
Hehehehe, I've been called a gringo many times before by a Hispanic friend as well, though gringo isn't exactly a flattering moniker.
Verily agree with the last part. Whenever people ask me about my thoughts of Korean, I always describe it as a very romantic language.

Quote:

Most 2nd generation Koreans lose the language for the most part because they talk exclusively in English with siblings once they start school. I had learned spanish for 8 years and also taught English in Korea during a Christmas break and it was enjoyable to me. I get made fun of for my accent, which my fellow Korean friends think is a gringo (American) accent.  It actually comes more from the fact that my mom is from a particular town in Korea that uses a slightly different accent/dialect. I think Korean is a more "intimate" language--it's easier to make really accurate depictions of feelings/descriptions with simpler words

Hmm.. I guess I've moved around a lot and have lived in towns that don't have many Koreans.  Georgia, Virginia, Washington, Oregon mainly.  Also, I'm the only one out of my cousins who speaks Korean...I'm 29 and the next oldest is 20.  This is kinda funny, but I really enjoy partying with my wife's "fob" friends... So much fun.  Real koreans (again, I don't really know many 2nd gen koreans from a korean saturated community) drink like it's their duty. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #45 of 109

Quote:
Well, it's a start that you recognize that about yourself and you're asking for advice.  The start is half the battle.  I remember having a hard time saying something in the middle of my good friends' conversation.  It was as if I was playing frogger....I was too afraid to interrupt someone and be rude, I guess.  There was definitely stuff I wanted to say--it wasn't for lack of things I wanted to say and it frustrated me that I couldn't add to the conversation.  I didn't get it at the time, but my friends (and people in general) talk freely over each other because they are comfortable with themselves and don't really care if they talk over someone (especially if it's a friend).  Only a few years ago I became comfortable in my skin to the point where I was interrupting anyone and just apologizing for interrupting.  The point I'm getting at is, once you start to accept yourself for who you are, you'll be more comfortable in your own skin and around others.  I'm guessing you don't get close to, for example, a girl not because you don't want to, but because it's just not comfortable and it feels awkward. 

I know how it is to just have many friends, but I've always longed for those really good friends.  I've been blessed with a few in my life for sure.  I always get a sense of awe and respect when I watch those Korean gangster movies (like Chingoo aka "Friend"--you can rent it with subtitles :D) where they almost glorify ABSOLUTE friendship/loyalty that is even thicker than blood/family.  Definitely not telling you to turn your back on your family for a friend--don't get me wrong.  As for making *really* close friends--you gotta be as close of a friend that you want them to be...in fact, even more so most of the time.  Sometimes you're "rewarded" with an even better friend than you, yourself, are.  Those are rare and you want to keep them close forever.  Don't try to be anyone you're not, and don't think that you necessarily have to change.  However, if you see flaws in your character that you'd like improving--then by all means, work on it! 

Being in a relationship is very similar to having a close friend.  So, I would say work on finding yourself a "best" friend that you can trust with *anything*.  That will be incredibly fulfilling/rewarding, in and of itself.  Like Nom de Plume was saying, friends are usually made through frivolous interaction...don't be afraid to be too revealing of yourself--be okay with poking fun at yourself.  People like/appreciate self-deprecating humor, which is the opposite of being boastful and condescending.  You'll be surprised at how much someone will open up to you once you open up a little (same goes with relationships).  Afterall, in a relationship or good friendship, what's the point of being proper and just looking cool to one other?  Those "friends" are really nothing more than good acquaintances..

I think I learned late that for anyone to really like/love you, you have to like/love yourself.  In fact, I've heard that you can't really love someone, unless you love yourself.  I think that's absolutely true.

Feel free to PM me also--you've been more than helpful with fiio amp info :D  I'm guessing many people you've talked to on this board could be closer than most of the friends that you have in "real life".  You just gotta be willing to give and expect nothing in return, like you do for a lot of newb head-fi'ers :D

Hmm.. I guess I've moved around a lot and have lived in towns that don't have many Koreans.  Georgia, Virginia, Washington, Oregon mainly.  Also, I'm the only one out of my cousins who speaks Korean...I'm 29 and the next oldest is 20.  This is kinda funny, but I really enjoy partying with my wife's "fob" friends... So much fun.  Real koreans (again, I don't really know many 2nd gen koreans from a korean saturated community) drink like it's their duty. 

you must stalk me..lol jk

the thing about interupting, not trying to be rude...totally me. always trying to make artificial situations or try to get the best comment in (super overthinking)....yeah
i have lots and lots and lots of friends..no close friends

and the other part about stalking me...is that yeah... the people in the anime thread on head fi know me better than most people in real life even if it's just through text. i have only opened up to one other person. well not full but a good start. she's a fun great person (not a love interest) and a good friend but is just a start and isn't too interested in the stuff I do, well she does..but it's like most people..only scrathing the tip of technology,anime, computers etc.

thanks for the post..again. loved reading that...it's jut hard for me. been so long. i don't know how to act. Like one of my friends always gossip..it's annoying. im sitting in class and he's gossiping about an aqquantuance a few seats away that i think is a good person. and all that other stuff that i find to be embarasing and what not, yet i have to show some sort of approval. geez. and..i don't "check" people out...*sigh*

well I might take you up on your offer of a PM one of the days when I need advice :) anyway. Currently Youtube is my thing, and Head-Fi..it..draws me away from everything I guess
oh and thanks to nom de plume. always helpful man :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back