Cracked wire wrap repair - Next Pair?
Jul 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

errsomeone

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Question 1:
I recently noticed that the wire sections that wrap around the ears has cracked to the point were I am able to see the wires through the shielding on a set of Shure SCL2s I have been using on and off for >3 years now. Since this is the section around the ear this section gets a bit of wear. Is there a way of wrapping these so that they will be useable?

Question 2:
In general, I have preferred the over ear wrap once I got use to it so I decided to order another pair of Shure 215s (yes, concerned about the wear issues I'm reading about). But it does make me question if I should not branch out to try others. Last year I owned a pair of Klipsch S4i last year that I later returned. I have recently been reading the list about the Thinksound Rain's or Elymotics potentially trying another. While I appreciate the crispness & clarity of highs, I really do want to keep a balance of mids and even a little bass to provide a more full sound. Comfort & isolation are high on my list given I do use on long flights even if not listening to music.

I am a bit flexible on price but 100-200 bracket seems to provide a number of options.

Any thoughts?

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 2
You could try putting heatshrink over the sections that are cracked. It comes in a variety of colors including clear, so it would look professional.

You could also get a can of liquid electrical tape at a hardware store. Paint it on carefully and it'll look nice.

I can't suggest another pair - I'm completely out of date on IEMs. Fortunately, there are lots of people here with loads of knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back