COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Sep 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #376 of 542
Quote:

Haha, yeah... the Ipod Touch is an inferior SQ product compared to the Cowon. But I have fond memories of my Touch still.Congrats on picking up your first Cowon (was my first too!)

Thanks. I'm loving the sound quality. I'm using it with a pair of 1964-D customs and it just sounds great.
Quote:
yea I'm using a 64gb card right now with it

I need to get one. What class cards do you use? Does it make a difference?

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #377 of 542
Quote:
Thanks. I'm loving the sound quality. I'm using it with a pair of 1964-D customs and it just sounds great.

Well I'm using a class 10 cardhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JTKM30/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d2_i2?ie=UTF8&redirect=true  just because that was all I could find. I think the higher the class the faster it is and perhaps more reliable too, I'm not sure though.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #378 of 542
Any of you using the new 4.35 firmware? Do you have an issue with the Z2 not powering on?
I seems when mine sits for a while and I power it up 1st time for the day it will give me a triangle with exclamation point or it will just give me the 1st "Cowon Plenue" screen and just hang. If I hold the power button down it resets and is fine after that.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #379 of 542
Quote:
Any of you using the new 4.35 firmware? Do you have an issue with the Z2 not powering on?
I seems when mine sits for a while and I power it up 1st time for the day it will give me a triangle with exclamation point or it will just give me the 1st "Cowon Plenue" screen and just hang. If I hold the power button down it resets and is fine after that.

I'm on 4.35 and I just turned mine off for about 10 hours.  Turned it back on and it booted right up.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #380 of 542
Quote:

I'm on 4.35 and I just turned mine off for about 10 hours.  Turned it back on and it booted right up.

I think I figured out my problem.
I believe I was holding in the play button with my thumb while turning it on with my index finger. I didn't realize I was doing it at the time. So I was inadvertently booting it into recovery mode.
redface.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #381 of 542
I really want to indulge myself in a quality media player this year. I had an Ipod Touch 4G 32GB and I sold it recently after buying an Android phone. I don't want to go back to the limitations when dealing with Apple devices. And I really want sound quality above fashion statements.

I want to thank the OP and all the other posters for their comments on this new device. I am really leaning towards this one against other Android PMP offerings by Sony and Samsung.

Hopefully with your help I can make a wise decision soon.

beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #382 of 542
Quote:
I really want to indulge myself in a quality media player this year. I had an Ipod Touch 4G 32GB and I sold it recently after buying an Android phone. I don't want to go back to the limitations when dealing with Apple devices. And I really want sound quality above fashion statements.

I want to thank the OP and all the other posters for their comments on this new device. I am really leaning towards this one against other Android PMP offerings by Sony and Samsung.

Hopefully with your help I can make a wise decision soon.

beerchug.gif

Good choice. You'll love Z2. the sound quality is amazing...

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #383 of 542
yes you can use a 64 gb card with the cowon.i use a sandisk 64 gb micro ultra and i load straight on to the card using a integral usb multi card reader .when u insert the card and switch on is shows loading, then the normal home screen with the music and video ap
, when you select either  music or video it tells you it is scanning and when it has completed that (a few seconds) you can select what music or video you want
i use flac for music and the card is interchangeable between my samsung s2 phone or the cowon

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #384 of 542
I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix.  I just got my Z2 a couple of weeks ago.  I really like it.  I am moving from a D2+.  The sound is great.  It was easy to get google play on the Z2, and the apps I have tried work well.  (pandora, espn radio, calengoo, word hero, dogcatcher,  and a couple others).  I am very pleased with the battery.  It is of course not as good as the D2+, but I knew that going in.  It is a little better than expected.   The first day I used it over twelve hours playing some music, but mainly pandora, dog catcher,  and espn radio.  I left wifi on the entire time. It still had over 20% charge left.   I will have to charge it at night, but I can live with that. I had been using my HTC Vivid phone for pandora and espn radio.  The Vivid would die after just a few hours.  Long before my workday was done it needed a charge.  So it went to the truck to charge, and I was without my phone.

It does what I want, it gives me a great sounding media player with the bonus abilities of android and wifi. I am happy with it, and do not regret going with the Z2.  I was pretty nervous, and afraid I would regret it.  I ordered it from Amazon, and they said as long as it was ordered from and fufilled through them I had thirty days to return it.  So I paid a little extra to get it from them, but it gave me peace of mind to know I was not stuck with it. 

I have a couple minor things I wish were better.  I do wish it had a better interface with music.  Maybe I am just not used to it.  The D2+ was pretty good once you got used to it.   I can do without playlists as I very seldom used it to begin with.  I just use the folder vies and make a folder for a playlist.  Not elegant, but it works.  I also would prefer the charger plug to be on the other end of the row of plugs.  It is right next to where the flap attaches and is a little irritating.  Very minor, and maybe it would bother me more elsewhere. 

I needed a player to record fm radio, so I never really looked at other android players. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #386 of 542
Quote:

I have a Class 10 64GB card. It makes a huge difference having Class 10. It is much faster to transfer music. You will need to reformat it to FAT32 before using it though/

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #387 of 542
Has anyone compared the Z2 to a HiSound Device?

Last week I received my HiSound Studio 3rd Anniversary Edition (long ***** name) and I am underwhelmed with the sound signature. For me, the base sound signature, without trying to alter it is a very thin, weak sound, lacking dynamics and deep bass that I love (my desktop system includes LCD2, v181, and NFB 11.32).

I tried it with several iems and also my Senn HD25 MKII which work well with low output devices and I am still underwhelmed with the sound.

I will turn around and sell this in a heartbeat if someone has listened to the HiSound and Z2 devices and agrees the sound on HiSound lacks dynamics needed to engage the listener.

I bought some UM Miracles that are coming back from Fisher Audio reshelling this week, and I was looking forward to a really kickass sound, and now, I am less than excited about this. I sold my HM601 and iBasso PB1 to get this portable setup, and I am not sure I am taking a step forward, or backwards yet.

Yesterday my HeadAmp arrived, and I have not tried it yet, but I bought it on sale for $49 and I know it is not going to be as good as my PB1 but I thought the HiSound sounded so weak, that any decent amp will increase the dynamics of the sound and make it more lively.

I would appreciate any feedback from persons that are aware of the sound of the HiSound and also the Z2.

BTW-I owned a D2 for a year or more and thought the sound was decent, especially with an amp on it (had the TTVJ amp for a bit with it).

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #388 of 542
Hello everyone

Can you recomend me a IEM that match to the Z2? (allround type)

2 month ago i've bought the xkdun ck-700, but i dont know why, it's already die last week.. :frowning2:

I'm also have the sennheiser 202 and it was good enough..i'm looking for the IEM with similar sq like my sennheiser..

for this time, i'm looking for any cheap iem..but if there's an really match IEM for the z2 with high price, maybe it will be my next wishlist to buy.. :p

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #389 of 542
Anyone compared this to the new 5th gen iPod touch yet? Im still sitting on the fence on this one. The Z2 is infinitly better in terms of function and playable formats. But the battery life is a little short compared to the touch and the new touch is jus so sexy.

Seen ppl bashing the new line of iPods for using apparently inferior cirrus chips. Seen an equal amount of ppl praising it for implementing the cirrus chips well. how does the new iPod touch stack up against the Cowon Z2 in terms of SQ? Worlds apart? Or close enough?

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #390 of 542
Hi,

Is any one else having problems with the Z2 recognising the album artist. Mine says 'Unknown Artist' on 235 of my albums. (If it was just a few I could put up with it!) I am sure it is to do with the id tags but I can't see any rhyme nor reason re. which ones are recognised and which aren't. I have tried editing the tags on my pc and on the device but nothing sticks. None of the 3rd party players that I've tried recognise them either except one, GoneMad Music Player. I have 3rd party players on other Android devices and they all work fine.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back