COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Aug 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #346 of 542
hi there Cowon fans!

i've got an odd (non-headphone) application that the Cowon may be perfect for, so i'll ask here.

my goal is to put all my music (~1TB) in my car and have it available on my Kenwood Excelon 9980 stereo/nav dashboard display.
the only way to do this is with an ipod cable, which lets me scan folders and choose music on the ipod, but there is no good way to get 1TB this way.

the first clue to a possible solution was when i found the GoFlex satellite which combines a 500GB hard drive with integrated wifi server.
the ipod touch can be connected to this local wifi server (kept in my glove box!) and music played via a Seagate app on the iphone/ipod.
however, this app is clueless, totally unfriendly, not gapless and will not work through the apple Music app, so i can't control this from the Excelon touch screen.

so first i opened the goflex satellite and replaced the HDD with a 1TB drive.
the next step was going to hackgoflexsatellite.com for their wonderful hack (worth every penny) that in the new v3 gives a number of new options, including a DAAP server (mt-daap).
this daap-server can feed itunes and play lossless music files but cannot work with apple's Music app (of course, since apple changed the DAAP protocol once it was reverse engineered as open source).
the only DAAP player in the itunes app store is simpleDAAP (free) which works great but only supports mp3 files, so it is useless for me.

since apple is determined to not let me do what i want, i have just now started to think about android as an option, and the Cowon Z2 seems like an interesting option that might allow me to do what i want.

if i can take the Z2, connect wifi to the goflex wifi mt-daap server, run poweramp (plays gapless, lots of formats) on the Z2 with audio via line out (hurrah for Cowon audio quality) to AV input of Kenwood.

the only part that this strategy misses is the ability to use Kenwood's touchscreen, so i would use the Cowon touch screen, which i could velcro to the dash for easy access by the driver.

so my questions for the esteemed folks here are:

1.  has anyone run the Z2 streaming music with a firefly/DAAP music server? (i have one running at home on Netgear NAS and it is similar to the one in the goflex)
2.  if you have connected the Z2 to a firefly music server, what android app did you use?  (i have heard of 'poweramp' and 'music pump' as options, maybe others?)
3.  anyone see flaws in my plan? [just thought of this tonight]
4.  any concern that the Z2 doesn't come with android 4.0? can or should it be upgraded to android 4.0?

thanks,

Marty

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #347 of 542
seems like Neutron is another playback option for player

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #348 of 542
I bought a Z2 (first Cowon for me) along with ATH-M50LEs and am enjoying the amazing sound quality.  But I'm kind of disappointed in the max volume of the Z2.  My question is, is it good to raise the EQ on all bands to increase overall volume or is that bad practice?  Will it affect sound quality?  Or should I use volume increasing apps like volume+?  And opinions on using replaygain's pre-amp to increase max volume?  I'm running primarily Rockbox and Neutron.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:  Nevermind, I just solved my own problem. I got Volume+ from Play store and increased the maximum volume. It works great! I turned it up to 10 and didn't notice any distortion.

EDIT2:  There is distortion using Volume+.  Uninstalled Volume+ and using Rockbox pre-amp to increase volume.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #349 of 542
Hi, I installed Poweramp onto my Cowon Z2 today. I think I read in an earlier post that the hard buttons work with the application but I can only get the volume ones to function. Does anyone know how to get them all to work or did I read wrong. Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, I installed PlayerPro instead and It's by far my favorite music playing app. I also think the reason the the hard buttons wouldn't work was because I had the stock music player open, but I'm not certain.

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #350 of 542
Quote:
Hi, I installed Poweramp onto my Cowon Z2 today. I think I read in an earlier post that the hard buttons work with the application but I can only get the volume ones to function. Does anyone know how to get them all to work or did I read wrong. Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, I installed PlayerPro instead and It's by far my favorite music playing app. I also think the reason the the hard buttons wouldn't work was because I had the stock music player open, but I'm not certain.

Well for others who may have the same problem, you need to turn off headset buttons from the stock music player, then turn on headset buttons in poweramp, if not working when screen off, turn on higher priority. 

Also if you don't get the same volume levels in poweramp than in stock music player, check if you have equalizer or tone on in poweramp. You should turn them off, because they limit output volume. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #351 of 542
Quote:
Well for others who may have the same problem, you need to turn off headset buttons from the stock music player, then turn on headset buttons in poweramp, if not working when screen off, turn on higher priority. 

Also if you don't get the same volume levels in poweramp than in stock music player, check if you have equalizer or tone on in poweramp. You should turn them off, because they limit output volume. 

I actually found Neutron to sound louder at same volume output.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #352 of 542
Quote:

Thanks for that, I tried out PowerAMP again after I had a problem with PlayerPro and I realised that the quality is noticibably better with PowerAMP so I'm back with that now, despite how much nicer the interface and visuals are on PlayerPro. Can I ask just one more question? Can I shrink the size of the album covers when searching for albums to play?

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #353 of 542
Quote:
rooting is only necessary on this device if you want to install apps from the market that require root (such as titanium backup and adfree).  For most users, it will be unnecessary, as the market files released from cowon are signed and do not require root to install.

as of yet there are no custom kernels, and roms don't exist either.  As far as I know, cowon locked the bootloader on the device to make either of these difficult to achieve (possibly due to the strict BBE licensing).

Sorry if this has been asked and/or annswered elsewhaere, but I have a question about rooting the Z2.  When you say only apps that require rooting is that any app from google play market or just some of them?  Also if you root the device can it still record fm radio?  I am considering a Z2, but only if I can record fm and install apps from google.  I don't want a lot of apps, but there a few I would want such as CalenGoo.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #354 of 542
Hello,

I recently purchased a Cowon Z2 Plenue and find the device to have superb sound and excellent video/movie output, although the colors tend to look a bit faded compared to the S9's output.  

I purchased a 16GB Sandisk microSDHC memory card a week or so ago and was going to install it to try it out but the manual neglects to inform the user as to how to insert the microSD card.   I've only had one previous device with a microSDHC slot and it used a spring system for inserting and removing the cards....the spring broke after I removed and re-inserted the card a few times.  

I don't know if I need to insert the card with the gold connections facing down when looking at the device screen or insert the card with the gold connections facing upward in the same direction as the screen.  Is this a spring loaded slot?   I tried to insert the card with the gold connections facing down and the card slipped too far into the slot and was very difficult to get out.   I tried to insert the card with the gold connections facing upward and encountered some spring like resistance.    I'd like to be sure about how to insert the card (orientation) before I attempt this...my luck the card would get stuck in the slot.

I have a memory card reader which does not use a spring system for the slot at all.  You just insert the card until it stops going in and enough of the card remains outside the slot for you to easily use the ledge in the card to remove with fingernail.   I'm hoping that this is how the Z2 microSD slot works.

Any help would be truly appreciated.   I searched the entire internet and could not find any info regarding how to properly insert a microSD memory card into the Z2's slot.   A picture of a microSDHC card being inserted into the Z2 and or a youtube video of the same procedure would be great to access for microSD slot newbies like myself.   Very embarrassing to get a mem card stuck in a player's slot.  

: (

Sincerely,

pseudo67

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #355 of 542
I tried to insert the card with the gold connections facing upward and encountered some spring like resistance

That is the right way, it's spring loaded.

Just treat the slot with extra care. The card will lock in and click once you pass a certain section, keep pushing lightly against the resistance. Then to remove the card you push in again and it will then release (do NOT ever try to pull the card out backwards or use force) The spring loaded mechanism will break if you do so. They are very simple to use and will last a long time if used correctly.

To insert:

Push in > click > to lock

To remove:

Push in a fraction > release (the spring does the rest)

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #356 of 542
Hello H2OFidelity,

Are you sure that the gold connections on the card need to be facing upward when you have the screen facing you?   I tried to insert the card with the gold connections facing upward only once but there was way too much resistance and the card did not slide in straight so I figured that the card needed to be inserted with the Sandisk lettering facing up in the same direction as the screen and with the notch in the card on the right side....the card slides in straight this way but with no resistance. 

I received the Z2 a few months ago and only started to open and use the player after I'd received a protective leather case, which was not available for purchase until several weeks ago.  I only installed the screen protection film a few days ago.   This Z2 must have come with a defective microSD slot new from the factory.    

There is resistance when inserting the way you stated but the card will not go into the slot straight and the resistance becomes way to great after an extremely short distance.   I should have checked the slot to make sure it worked okay before I purchased the leather case.  I just have the habit of wanting to fully protect my PMP's before I start to use them so they are fully protected from scratches and whatnot. 

If I had to guess,   I would think that the gold connections should be facing downward in the opposite direction of the upward facing screen but I did not get any resistance when I attempted to insert the card this way so I decided to be extremely careful and wait until I received confirmation of exactly how the card needed to be inserted before attempting to fully insert the card.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #357 of 542
I don't actually have the Z2. I have a C2. (I was going off you feeling the spring resistance)

When the screen is facing me my SD card goes in facing upwards (you can see the brand name)

Have a look at this video also. Someone that actually owns a Z2 can help you further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZGkGyN0b7A

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #358 of 542
Hello,

I'm hoping the spring only responds with resistance when the entire card is almost fully inserted into the slot and then the spring engages to lock the card in place.   I was trying to be very careful when I attempted to insert the card into the slot with the sandisk lettering facing upward like the screen and so when  I did not get any resistance after inserting the card almost too far into the slot to be able to recover the card with my finger nail I stopped sliding it into the slot and pulled it out (without any resistance at all).  I'm hoping the resistance only happens when the card is just about fully inserted into the slot and that the resistance comes just at the last second of insertion when the spring engages the card (the click) so as to lock it in place.

I'm probably just not inserting the card far enough (with sandisk card lettering facing upward along with Z2 screen) into the slot to get the spring/lock to engage for fear of not being able to get the card out with a fingernail grasp.  I'm hoping this is the case.  I just need confirmation (from a Z2 owner that has successfully installed microSD) with regard to how the card needs to be inserted and when the spring resistance comes into action.   I had the card inserted almost too far to be able to remove the card using my fingernail and the little edge built into the card.   I'm hoping that the slot was designed so the card could be inserted far enough into the slot to allow the user to completely replace the USB cover.

I've only been working with the Z2 for the last several days.   I noticed the first time I opened the Z2 with my computer that there is an empty folder named LOST.DIR in the Z2 root.    I've not deleted any files or folders/directories from the Z2 nor have I installed any Android programs at all so I found this issue a bit of a concern.  

The Z2 came with firmware 3.31 so I upgraded the firmware to 4.35 (Found on CowonGlobal.com).   The firmware upgrade worked flawlessly and I've had no problems/glitches since the upgrade.   The firmware upgrade is the only change I've made to the Z2.   So I'm left wondering why a folder labeled LOST.DIR is on the Z2?    

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #359 of 542
Yes, the resistance only occurs at the end. The card will slide in most of the way normally (without resistance)

Keep pushing I say! :D

Honestly though a Z2 owner will assist you further.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #360 of 542
Hi, I've got a volume and distortion problem with non-stock music player apps. I can get a much louder sound with the stock music player and absolutely no distortion whatever the volume. Whereas with foreign players, such as PowerAMP and PlayerPro; distortion with the bass is apparent when at a high volume and they seem to have a volume cap too. What's weird though is that once I click on the stock player while playing music from another app the distortion diminishes and the volume pumps up as if I am using the stock app. Does anyone else have/had this problem and do you know of a way to fix it so I won't be restricted to the stock app, I mean the apps are fine to use in quiet areas but outside it's just not enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back