Cowon X7 this summer!
Aug 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #64 of 380

Quote:
It's funny how this thread started 3 years ago and somehow the title of this thread is still relevant today.... except this time apparently for real this time.

So very true, and I'm drooling over the X7 now as well.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #65 of 380

Quote:
It's funny how this thread started 3 years ago and somehow the title of this thread is still relevant today.... except this time apparently for real this time.

Cowon seems to have a penchant for showing their upcoming players, then releasing them a couple years later. We are still waiting for the Cowon D3 as well.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #66 of 380

Quote:
250gb would be nice, but drives this size will still be very difficult to source in large numbers if it uses 1.8" drives as rumoured.  Also, the only ones that appear to be available are all dual-platter designs, so a DAP will have to be thicker in order to use these drives. 

September 2007: mass-production of HDDs with 80GB per platter (80GB thin HDDs, 160GB thick ones)
September 2008: mass-production of HDDs with 120GB per platter
September 2009: mass-production of HDDs with 160GB per platter
I believe that on this september it would be much easier to source 240GB single-platter HDD than 80GB one. There is no any manufacturing of 80GB hdds for at least an year (there were 80GB hdds in 2008/2009 which were, in fact, 120GB ones with 40GB artificially disabled), so these can be sourced only until existing stocks are not empty.
This is like producing a new PC with Pentium-4 CPU. There is just not enough quantity of these legacy CPUs.

However, 80GB cowon might be equipped with flash memory of said capacity, which makes it pretty reasonable.

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #67 of 380

Quote:
Cowon seems to have a penchant for showing their upcoming players, then releasing them a couple years later. We are still waiting for the Cowon D3 as well.

That said, the X7 FCC application (whatever that stands for) has happened, and once the J3 went through this stage it actually appeared pretty snappily afterwards. The D3 was only ever a future product discussed by Cowon, not an official announced one.

Really looking forward to seeing what Cowon delivers with this one. Such a lottery with Cowon, it'll either be the greatest thing ever or an unusable piece of junk.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #68 of 380

Quote:
September 2007: mass-production of HDDs with 80GB per platter (80GB thin HDDs, 160GB thick ones) September 2008: mass-production of HDDs with 120GB per platter
September 2009: mass-production of HDDs with 160GB per platter
I believe that on this september it would be much easier to source 240GB single-platter HDD than 80GB one. There is no any manufacturing of 80GB hdds for at least an year (there were 80GB hdds in 2008/2009 which were, in fact, 120GB ones with 40GB artificially disabled), so these can be sourced only until existing stocks are not empty.
This is like producing a new PC with Pentium-4 CPU. There is just not enough quantity of these legacy CPUs.

However, 80GB cowon might be equipped with flash memory of said capacity, which makes it pretty reasonable.

Looking at this figures I agree and it wouldn't be surprising at all to see a 250gb drive announced in September.  I just hope Apple doesn't take them all for a new Ipod Classic. 
rolleyes.gif

80gb of flash memory also sounds reasonable to me, since you can get a 1.8" Intel SSD for around $200.  A company buying bulk like Cowon could easily get a cheaper, slower drive in quantity, perhaps even in a larger size like 128gb. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #69 of 380
Seeing as i am culling back my music collection. 80gb is quite sufficient for me. Seeing as my rips are Lame v0 i doubt i would fill it anytime soon.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #71 of 380
Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather see the x7 be flash rather than use a HDD. I would mainly be putting flacs on it and after having used 16gb and 32gb cowon pmps for such a long time, 80gb would be a massive upgrade. If they can include an expansion slot like the J3, it should be sufficient for most people. Really, how much do you need to carry around day to day? Not sure how big micro sd cards are these days (although I know a lot of people use 32gb with their J3s) but 80gb flash + 32 GB micro sd should give around 300 albums on the go even if you mainly use flac. I think each flac album tends to be 300-450 mb.

I suppose it's adding the videos which wastes space. I really only put music videos on my S9 so it's not an issue, but I suppose someone who HAS to have a library of full length movies with them on their daily travels (for whatever reason) might wish for a HDD player instead.

I wonder when we'll have 64gb micro sd cards, or is 32gb physically the maximum they can support? The expansion slot would probably suit video fans since they can just fill a couple of 32gb micro sds with all the movies they need on the go.

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #72 of 380

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather see the x7 be flash rather than use a HDD. I would mainly be putting flacs on it and after having used 16gb and 32gb cowon pmps for such a long time, 80gb would be a massive upgrade. If they can include an expansion slot like the J3, it should be sufficient for most people. Really, how much do you need to carry around day to day? Not sure how big micro sd cards are these days (although I know a lot of people use 32gb with their J3s) but 80gb flash + 32 GB micro sd should give around 300 albums on the go even if you mainly use flac. I think each flac album tends to be 300-450 mb.

I suppose it's adding the videos which wastes space. I really only put music videos on my S9 so it's not an issue, but I suppose someone who HAS to have a library of full length movies with them on their daily travels (for whatever reason) might wish for a HDD player instead.

I wonder when we'll have 64gb micro sd cards, or is 32gb physically the maximum they can support? The expansion slot would probably suit video fans since they can just fill a couple of 32gb micro sds with all the movies they need on the go.

SDHC is limited by 32GB by specifications. There is SDXC standart, allowing capacities up to 2TB; and i believe that some manufacturers are already producing 64GB SDXC cards, but it is all to lack of support.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #73 of 380
Quote:

I personally would like a HDD. AFAIK, you can't make flash memory in an 80 GB section. It would have to be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, or (soon) 128 GB. The reason I would like a HDD player, is that you could open the player up and replace the 80GB with a 240 GB hard drive. There are plenty of flash players, how many good HDD players are there? The iPod Classic is being phased out. For people with a lot of music, this could be a great player.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #74 of 380
I'm personally hoping for at least a 160gb HDD - but 240gb would be STELLAR!!!! I can't wait for this to be released!!!
popcorn.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #75 of 380

Quote:
AFAIK, you can't make flash memory in an 80 GB section. It would have to be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, or (soon) 128 GB. The reason I would like a HDD player, is that you could open the player up and replace the 80GB with a 240 GB hard drive. There are plenty of flash players, how many good HDD players are there? The iPod Classic is being phased out. For people with a lot of music, this could be a great player.

Orly? Look at what is offered on http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&name=SSD

Quote:
The reason I would like a HDD player, is that you could open the player up and replace the 80GB with a 240 GB hard drive. There are plenty of flash players, how many good HDD players are there? The iPod Classic is being phased out. For people with a lot of music, this could be a great player.

...or 256GB SSD (although it is too expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back