Cowon S9 now has gapless!!!
Jun 27, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 71
so, lossless is gapless now. it would be great if they did this across their line, not only to the big player. but, without gapless compressed music, it ain't yet worhtwhile. i live where cowon are cheaper than flies pretty much, but if aac and mp3 are not gapless, no way i'll upgrade from my 1g shuffle for a ia7 or something.

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 71
now all they have to do is add support for AAC and I will buy it again!! No questions asked
wink.gif

(I still can't believe the lack of AAC?!)

Rgds

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #21 of 71
It's the most important and most overlooked feature that can be in an mp3 player. It's when two tracks are played back-to-back with no skip or gap in between. This is important for all kinds of music but classical benefits the most.

You see, different movements in a classical work often blend together. In other words, instruments are playing while one movement ends and the next one begins. If you don't have gapless, there will be a short area of silence in between movements. This can be especially annoying when you have several short tracks in succession.

For some this is no big deal but for me it's a deal breaker. I did not buy the S9 because of this but now I am reconsidering.

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #23 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only the S9 has wi-fi capability, then it would be perfect.

+1

Although, wifi is really a secondary feature in a media player. Playing media (with good SQ) comes first.

-Nkk

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #25 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the most important and most overlooked feature that can be in an mp3 player. It's when two tracks are played back-to-back with no skip or gap in between. This is important for all kinds of music but classical benefits the most.

You see, different movements in a classical work often blend together. In other words, instruments are playing while one movement ends and the next one begins. If you don't have gapless, there will be a short area of silence in between movements. This can be especially annoying when you have several short tracks in succession.

For some this is no big deal but for me it's a deal breaker. I did not buy the S9 because of this but now I am reconsidering.

I had a feeling that what it was, I guess it's important in such cases, my collection consist of rock/metal/Asian/recordings so it not needed for me

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #27 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by gideonMorrison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Thus Cowon wins.

How does Cowon win? Sony has supported it always with ATRAC. Much longer than Cowon even thought about doing gapless. How many years did it take? Nearly 10?

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #28 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does Cowon win? Sony has supported it always with ATRAC. Much longer than Cowon even thought about doing gapless. How many years did it take? Nearly 10?

Supporting it with a non-common format on models only in Japan (at least for the X1000) is not a win, it is a fail. Cowon may be late, but they are supporting it for a major lossless format, and it happens to work on all their S9s, not just Japanese ones. That being said, I do give credit to Sony for having supported it, even if it was in an obscure way.

-Nkk

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only the S9 has wi-fi capability, then it would be perfect.

The S9 is a dedicated audio and video player, and it does those two functions damn well. If you want a media player with wi-fi, buy an ipod, phone, netbook, or similar device that is a jack of all trades and master of none.

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #30 of 71
if you like rock, don't you listen to concerts? if you do, gaps kill a recording. trance too - many studio albums i have too have simulated gapless recordings that are linked with 'music' in between tracks.

if cowon could pull back aac and put in gapless, i would consider their small player like the ia7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back