Cowon Plenue R2
Nov 8, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #46 of 296
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #47 of 296
Just some more 2 cents,

Sadly still a sidegrade if one already has the PR but still worth considering if one still 'wants' a higher level Cowon DAP without swinging for the PL or P2M2.
Also, that someone probably has money to burn.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #49 of 296
Unless I’m misreading the website, the R2 is using the same dual DACs as the D2? Then what’s the point of the cost upgrade and lower battery? Is it all due to a better AMP in the R2?

I thought the CS43131 included the AMP on the chipset.

AFAIK portable device friendly DAC chips usually have onboard headphone amplifier, but can be set up to go through external amp section too. No idea what Cowon does- the 2v/4v looks consistent w/ CS single chip 2v spec. Having the same DAC doesn't necessarily mean they will be identical circuits, but it is entirely possible.

According to their own marketing, for R2 vs D2 you are paying extra for- USB-C connection, Bluetooth function (basic AptX... Cowon always a few years behind, but apparently it works with JetEffects which is not too common in DAPs), as well as some features from the top level Plenues- Jet Effects 7 DSP, Optical Output, "AI Audio" shuffle etc..., Analog level meter, inaudibly better THD & Crosstalk spec, supposedly cleaner signal path featuring higher quality "TCXO" clock chips, and a CPLD chip (seems to be for handling the DSP processing?).

Cowon make so many DAP models at this point they should just start doing custom configurable designs (like laptops). I'd really like a PM style single end, non-Android, JE7, with 2-way HD/LDAC bluetooth...

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #50 of 296
AFAIK portable device friendly DAC chips usually have onboard headphone amplifier, but can be set up to go through external amp section too. No idea what Cowon does- the 2v/4v looks consistent w/ CS single chip 2v spec. Having the same DAC doesn't necessarily mean they will be identical circuits, but it is entirely possible.

According to their own marketing, for R2 vs D2 you are paying extra for- USB-C connection, Bluetooth function (basic AptX... Cowon always a few years behind, but apparently it works with JetEffects which is not too common in DAPs), as well as some features from the top level Plenues- Jet Effects 7 DSP, Optical Output, "AI Audio" shuffle etc..., Analog level meter, inaudibly better THD & Crosstalk spec, supposedly cleaner signal path featuring higher quality "TCXO" clock chips, and a CPLD chip (seems to be for handling the DSP processing?).

Cowon make so many DAP models at this point they should just start doing custom configurable designs (like laptops). I'd really like a PM style single end, non-Android, JE7, with 2-way HD/LDAC bluetooth...

Thank you. In recent years Cowon has introduced so many products into the Plenue line that there is quite a bit of overlap.

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #53 of 296
On amazon.com

PLENUE R2 (128GB) High Resolution Audio Player/aptX JetEffect Bluetooth/Dual DAC, DSD256, SNR 136dB / AI Audio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081SQTN41/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_CyQ-DbHAK1KD4

IMG_20191218_223033.jpg

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #55 of 296
Just some more 2 cents,

Sadly still a sidegrade if one already has the PR but still worth considering if one still 'wants' a higher level Cowon DAP without swinging for the PL or P2M2.
Also, that someone probably has money to burn.

Hope everyone has a great day !

That's certainly how it looks on paper and how I expected it to be, but after a few days of burn-in I'm finally listening to PR2 now, there are quite a few noticeable improvements which are more than just a side grade, imho. High output power is definitely a step up; with the same track and the same pair of IEMs I need to go down about 18 volume clicks on R2 to match the volume of R. Sound sig is nearly the same, but soundstage is noticeable wider and imaging is more 3D, dynamics (vertical expansion) is also improved. Another biggie, R2 is dead quiet with sensitive IEMs (like Andro) while you can hear hissing with R. And, FINALLY, I can use usb-c cable lol!!! PR is still great and I see it on Amazon for $339, while PR2 is new for $549. So, if you are happy with PR and don't care about above changes, stay with it. But in my opinion, PR2 improvements are more than just side grade.

cowon_plenue_r2-x01.jpg cowon_plenue_r2-x02.jpg cowon_plenue_r2-x03.jpg cowon_plenue_r2-x04.jpg

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #56 of 296
That's certainly how it looks on paper and how I expected it to be, but after a few days of burn-in I'm finally listening to PR2 now, there are quite a few noticeable improvements which are more than just a side grade, imho. High output power is definitely a step up; with the same track and the same pair of IEMs I need to go down about 18 volume clicks on R2 to match the volume of R. Sound sig is nearly the same, but soundstage is noticeable wider and imaging is more 3D, dynamics (vertical expansion) is also improved. Another biggie, R2 is dead quiet with sensitive IEMs (like Andro) while you can hear hissing with R. And, FINALLY, I can use usb-c cable lol!!! PR is still great and I see it on Amazon for $339, while PR2 is new for $549. So, if you are happy with PR and don't care about above changes, stay with it. But in my opinion, PR2 improvements are more than just side grade.

Hi @twister6 / Alex,

Always appreciate your views & insights !

Admittedly, I am tempted enough to consider it regardless though I am in no rush by any means & given it's a Cowon product, it will be around for quite a while.
I also look forward to your review when it's finally out & I do appreciate you saying it is more than just side grade...
I would assume the Cirus Logic dual DACs have some impact to influence better staging & imaging against the single PCM one though personally I find implementation more telling than the actual chip involved.
But PR2 is something more temptation at this rate given more than just budget, exchange rate makes this possibly pricey, even through my local distributor as Amazon is a no go where I am but I may find out one day eventually just out of curiosity.

At least it sounds, no pun intended they fixed the levelling issues with the PR2 which is one of the few reasons I don't use my PR as much as PD or PD2 though I still prefer PD sound overall, not to mention that battery life on the PD.

Keep up the good work !

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #57 of 296
:santa: Firmware V1.10 :mrs_claus: is on :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=634

Instructions for downloading and installation are on the page.

Warning/Caution

• The battery must be fully charged before firmware upgrade.
  • Do not reset PLENUE R2 during firmware upgrade.
  • Backup any important files in PLENUE R2 to your PC before firmware upgrade.
  • Please use firmware that COWON authorizes only.
  • JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.

New features

1. Fixed intermittent malfunction of “Over current protection” pop-up menu and volume settings.
  2. Improved partial noise occurring when setting Non-oversampling in Settings/Music/DAC filter rolloff setup menu.
  3. Added optical output ON/ OFF function. (Setting/ System/ Optical Output)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #60 of 296

I know I got with Kova into argument over this write-up above in R thread, but after re-reading it again with Google translator and considering I spent a few days playing with PR2, I still stick to my guns that it's a nice write-up with a detailed unboxing, lots of DAP measurements (if anybody interested), and thorough paraphrasing of the detailed Cowon product description page.

There is nothing about the sound or the pair up or the comparison except that it is "colorless, odorless, and transparent", which I found to be useful only in a content if you specify what you are comparing it to. Plenue's flagship L is what I would call as a neutral transparent, more revealing, yet still natural. Plenue R2, relative to their L flagship, has a noticeably stronger bass impact (from BAL output, with the same earphone, and playing the same flac tracks), and the mids of R2 are more organic, a little warmer, with a more natural coloring. So, calling R2 colorless and transparent is kind of misleading, unless you are comparing it to a very warm and less resolving source.

Another interesting observation, comparing PL and PR2 using the same pair of earphones (U18t) and playing the same hi-res tracks, the 4.4mm BAL output of L and 2.5mm BAL output of R2 have identical power level output. I mean, on paper both are 4.0 Vrms, and in practice while volume matching them I have the same volume level setting on both. Plus, R2 has double the battery life, and USB-C. Don't get me wrong, I still love PL and it's great if you want a more neutral transparent sound, but if you want more fun bass and more organic tonality, R2 is a good pocket friendly alternative. And when I say "pocket friendly", you can drop it in your pocket with headphone socket up without worrying about volume knobs since volume control is on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back