Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Aug 30, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #421 of 448
Is anyone still using this player? Struggling to justify keeping mine since adopting new AirPod Pros (and going back to streaming). Tempted to sell it, but got the feeling the market isn't strong for resell value currently on these players. The listings on eBay are very sparse and limited.
Cowon stopped making DAPs. So, I would suggest you to keep it as you won't be finding a DAP like Cowon. Compared to any other DAPs right now, Cowon players have the longevity that is only a dream to currect DAP makers.

My PM2 battery backup hasn't changed a bit in 4 years, all other brands I had dropped the battery backup significantly in less than 2 years.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #422 of 448
I actually re-bought and then recently re-sold the original PR (yeah, head-fi mania will do that to you 😉). Still one of my favorites of the line-up.

Tell you what here in China there’s plenty of Plenues available on the second hand market, at reasonable prices. Over the years I’ve owned pretty much all of them at some stage. Half tempted to buy another as a keeper now that it seems true that Cowon have stopped :frowning2:

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #425 of 448
Still have mine, it's a keeper for me. Although i have several other players. You could list here in the classifieds and see what transpires.
I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to my audio gear, tend to keep no matter how old they are.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #426 of 448
Still have mine, it's a keeper for me. Although i have several other players. You could list here in the classifieds and see what transpires.
I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to my audio gear, tend to keep no matter how old they are.
I'm 50/50 on selling it. I got rid of my Sony MZ-RH1 (last minidisc that was usable) and bitterly regret it. Great relic and collectable in audio tech. Don't want to do the same again.
Cowon stopped making DAPs. So, I would suggest you to keep it as you won't be finding a DAP like Cowon. Compared to any other DAPs right now, Cowon players have the longevity that is only a dream to currect DAP makers.

My PM2 battery backup hasn't changed a bit in 4 years, all other brands I had dropped the battery backup significantly in less than 2 years.
I noticed their press releases and new DAP gear has dried up. Have they officially announced this? Although we don't need new firmware; I'm gutted firmware had dried up as well.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #427 of 448
I noticed their press releases and new DAP gear has dried up. Have they officially announced this? Although we don't need new firmware; I'm gutted firmware had dried up as well.
There no official statement but this has been discussed on other threads. No Cowon players are in stock anywhere which confirms that they have stopped making DAPs.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #429 of 448
There no official statement but this has been discussed on other threads. No Cowon players are in stock anywhere which confirms that they have stopped making DAPs.
Maybe the chip shortage has got to them somehow or some mysterious change in direction. I need to hold on to the player considering they're going to be a rare breed now. I'm going back slowly to CDs, so it's a handy device to have a lossless copy to carry with me.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #430 of 448
Maybe the chip shortage has got to them somehow or some mysterious change in direction. I need to hold on to the player considering they're going to be a rare breed now. I'm going back slowly to CDs, so it's a handy device to have a lossless copy to carry with me.
I wish that were the case but Cowon is much bigger company than most of the brands making DAPs these days.

Aug 30, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #431 of 448
I've been able to use a 400gb micro sd card in my PR without any hiccups, going to see if a 512gb card will read and play beyond the spec limits.
One thing i could never figure out is why they capped the PD with a 128gb card. Software or hardware related i guess.

Aug 30, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #432 of 448

I actually wrote to JetAudio a few days ago via their eBay store about this very issue.
I received the following this morning:

New message from: jetaudio (4,120
RED_STAR Star
)​

Hi,
Sorry for late response.
Now we have limited stocks since we have some production issue from our manufacturer in Korea.
They are trying their best to solve it but likely more time they need to do it.
Right now we have only one brand new P1 left in our hands.
So, please let us know if you like to buy this one.​

Aug 30, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #433 of 448
I actually wrote to JetAudio a few days ago via their eBay store about this very issue.
I received the following this morning:

New message from: jetaudio (4,120
RED_STAR Star
)​

Hi,
Sorry for late response.
Now we have limited stocks since we have some production issue from our manufacturer in Korea.
They are trying their best to solve it but likely more time they need to do it.
Right now we have only one brand new P1 left in our hands.
So, please let us know if you like to buy this one.​

All the talk about Cowon quitting DAP business is rumors then, it's only good news. Thanks 👍

Aug 31, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #434 of 448
Sounds promising. I heard the rumor of Cowon exiting the DAP market via an audiophile here in China, so it seems to be an idea that’s spread far and wide. Fingers crossed they’re still going :fingers_crossed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back