Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #286 of 448
I bought one plenue R. Low power on both single ended and balanced outputs. Lot's of distortion on bass. Maybe a defective unit but the company (jet audio) is not very responsive. It has been a month that they received the return item, no response yet despite of multiple emails. Plenue D I have is much better than plenue R, but has limitations.
Without the support what good of any electronic.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #287 of 448
Can this take a 400 GB MICRO SD CARD?
According to this jet audio page, no. The max is 256. http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/plenuer/

I bought one plenue R. Low power on both single ended and balanced outputs. Lot's of distortion on bass. Maybe a defective unit but the company (jet audio) is not very responsive. It has been a month that they received the return item, no response yet despite of multiple emails. Plenue D I have is much better than plenue R, but has limitations.
Without the support what good of any electronic.
Sounds like you probably have a defective unit. I have both the D and R and certainly didn't hear any distortion from the R in a side by side comparison. Or maybe it's the low power, the R is known to be a bit on the low side.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #288 of 448
According to this jet audio page, no. The max is 256. http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/plenuer/

Sounds like you probably have a defective unit. I have both the D and R and certainly didn't hear any distortion from the R in a side by side comparison. Or maybe it's the low power, the R is known to be a bit on the low side.

They sent me a new unit, but I am afraid of opening the package. I listed on ebay as brand new to sell. I have Sony NW-WM1 DAP too.
I'm planning of buying the Plenue S which has more powerful outputs. I will keep the Plenue D and the Sony.

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #290 of 448
Hello there,

I also have a question! I tried today PM2 and PR and didn't really hear any difference... (Well using BBE bass boost). Is there a huge gap between R and P2/P2ii/PS? Or it wouldn't surprise me (R is two to three times less expensive)

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #292 of 448
I gave up on Plenue R, sold it on eBay and thinking of buying a Hiby R3.
I already have Plenue D which has the same sound signature as the Plenue R.
Hiby R3 is much cheaper, has wi-fi, Bluetooth, balanced out, Hiby customized Linux os, supports up to 2TB of micro sd.
ESS DAC and more powerful outputs are the other reasons to choose it.
I don't want to use my Sony Nw-wm1a in the car.
What do you think of Hiby and Hidizs brands?

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #293 of 448
I like the sound coming out of this player. I wish Cowon could fix some things

1. Second/Minute display instead of 33 to 0.33.
2. The album titles are within [album name]
Please take out those brackets.
3. The screen setup when music plays has 2 steps to go back to song list while music is playing.

Besides that, regarding sound and storage this is a phenomenonal
player.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #294 of 448

3. The screen setup when music plays has 2 steps to go back to song list while music is playing.

player.
You sound demo the L.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #295 of 448

player.
For 1 - do you mean the elapsed time on the now playing screen?

I don’t have an R anymore so can’t remember the setting, but I remember getting the Plenue V and liking how the V showed elapsed minutes:seconds at the bottom of the screen and preferring that to just a count of total seconds on the R. Then I realized there was an option on the R to change it to minutes:seconds too. Felt like a dunce for not seeing that option sooner! :wink:

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #297 of 448
So I had the D2 for about 2 weeks was blown away by the sound; that was until it locked up and would not turn on (software issue I think) so have to send it back.

Now do I get a Plenue R or do I look at a HiBy or Fiio M9……open to your experiences.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #298 of 448
So I had the D2 for about 2 weeks was blown away by the sound; that was until it locked up and would not turn on (software issue I think) so have to send it back.

Now do I get a Plenue R or do I look at a HiBy or Fiio M9……open to your experiences.
Don't have hiby, i do have the R, and i really like it, i am a fan of jet effect so this was a no brainer for me, got it for a decent price, crunched a bunch of my flac files to 320bit mp3's to put in the internal memory, my hi-res files are on a 200gb microsd. I use balanced iems, but i love the sound of the R. Jet Effect 7 is fairly extensive, 4 user presets to tinker with.

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #299 of 448
Just ordered R yesterday, first Cowon to join my stable. I had one I bought used from somebody on headfi and it was doa and the guy was heard or seen again. The only time in 61 years somebody flat out ripped me off.

I’m pumped ....is the latest firmware stable guys???
1.3 I believe.....please advise if I should upgrade firmware....I’ll post on here first about version I’ll have etc....Its like waiting on Santa!

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #300 of 448
Just ordered R yesterday, first Cowon to join my stable. I had one I bought used from somebody on headfi and it was doa and the guy was heard or seen again. The only time in 61 years somebody flat out ripped me off.

I’m pumped ....is the latest firmware stable guys???
1.3 I believe.....please advise if I should upgrade firmware....I’ll post on here first about version I’ll have etc....Its like waiting on Santa!
I flashed 1.3.0 soon after i got my R, i have not noticed any problems as of yet, i usually pick from folder browser so it works for me, music plays without a hitch. Hopefully you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back