Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Nov 22, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #271 of 448
Firmware V1.30 is on :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=619

Posted as it is on Cowons site (The warning / Caution seems to be wrong).

Warning/Caution

• Support the connection with specific Bluetooth speaker (JBL FLIP4 and extra)
  • Improved the ALAC playing function (Support 32bit file)
  • Modified the error of playing and displaying about DSF/DFF file which the capacity is over 4GB
  • Modified the playing error of specific 8bit APE file
  • Support the 32bit 1 channel WAV file

New features :-

• User Interface(UI) design alteration.
  • Added functions for turning off hearing protection. (Settings/System/Hearing Protection) *
  • Improved playlist management functions. **
  • Improved touch sensitivity and scrolling.
  • Improved APE, WAV file compatibility.
  • Supports DFF file ID3 tag.
  • Fixed abnormal behavior occurring when abnormal DFF files exist.
  • Fixed the sounds being splashed in certain situations during playback.
  • Fixed files with SPACE as its first character on a file name being unrecognized while copied on Macintosh.

* This is a function used to set whether or not to reset the volume when earphones are removed from the device for hearing protection. Hearing protection settings are only possible when the country is set to NON-EU countries.
** Browser’s CUE/SACD tab name has been changed to PLAYLISTS.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #272 of 448

Warning/Caution

• Modified the error of playing and displaying about DSF/DFF file which the capacity is over 4GB

• Added functions for turning off hearing protection. (Settings/System/Hearing Protection) *
  • Fixed files with SPACE as its first character on a file name being unrecognized while copied on Macintosh.

* This is a function used to set whether or not to reset the volume when earphones are removed from the device for hearing protection. Hearing protection settings are only possible when the country is set to NON-EU countries.
Thanks for the heads up, like the leather backgrounds.

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #273 of 448
By the way, I have my R + leather case up for sale in the forums if anyone is interested. In perfect condition - except for a dent/scratch on the top corner next to the power button.

I like it, but am pretty much using the Plenue V exclusively these days. I can live with playing Bluetooth audio via my phone, as I think of Bluetooth more a convenience than audio quality option. I will lose having a USB DAC function by only keeping the V but who knows I may pick up a desktop DAC/amp again at some point.

How's the sound quality of the PV compared to the PR?

Also, does anyone know how much the PRs so called headphone mode increases the power? According to the manual it increases the power "for high impedance headphones" but doesn't say how much. Another thing, is it possible to fix the delay the PR has when using it as a USB DAC? Makes it impossible to use for anything other than music, which is a shame since the sound quality is better than my fiio e10k.

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #274 of 448
How's the sound quality of the PV compared to the PR?

Also, does anyone know how much the PRs so called headphone mode increases the power? According to the manual it increases the power "for high impedance headphones" but doesn't say how much. Another thing, is it possible to fix the delay the PR has when using it as a USB DAC? Makes it impossible to use for anything other than music, which is a shame since the sound quality is better than my fiio e10k.
I wrote up a comparison of the R and V here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cowon-plenue-v.23203/reviews

Only thing I’d add is that after longer listening I found the V and R to have different treble performance- the V sounding a bit more edgy, occasionally still prone to sibilance depending on the track, while the R is easier on the ear and more polite/romantic. In all there’s an obvious sibling similarity between the two though.

As far as the USB DAC lag is concerned I believe that’s an issue with all Plenue players- I had it on a P1 and M that I owned previously, as well as the R. It’s a pity that it’s still an issue with a lot of players around- I finally picked up a ZX300A to compare with the V and the Sony has it too, but my old Fiio X3 2nd gen did USB DAC duties just fine.

I couldn’t find any specs for the headphone mode either, but even with B&W P7s, which are easy to drive, I found headphone mode gave better sound quality.

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #276 of 448
I notice you said the PR lacks impact on the bass compared to the PV - is this not something that could be fixed with the jeteffect 7 equalizer?
Thanks.
I was typically using BBE or BBE MP JetEffect settings on both players, and found that the V had more impact at the equivalent setting.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #277 of 448
Has anyone heard this player with an Audeze Sine or have any idea if the Plenue R can provide it with enough power single ended? How much power is 1.4vrms anyways in milliwatts (Sine is 30ohm).

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #278 of 448

Warning/Caution

I got my new Plenue R yesterday and loving it already. Made the stupid decision to click English/EU region. Now my unit is locked to volume limits (stops at 80 and 81-140 is ineffective). Does anyone know to do a factory reset? There's nothing stated in the manual and nothing in settings indicates the ability to change the region, only language.

Wouldn't mind the extra volume for some of my headphones that need more drive.

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #279 of 448
Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #280 of 448
If the volume limiter is a new thing then installing the previous software then reinstalling the current one may work. That's what a few of us did in the Plenue D thread.
I think the volume limiting has always been around, but they've added it as an option on non-EU regions. I wasn't sure if downgrading was possible.

Surprised that people haven't tried to start working out some hacks/customisations to the firmware yet.

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #281 of 448
As the volume limitter is a new thing in FW1.30, installing the previous software (1.20) again then reinstalling the current one (1.30) should work. That's what a few of us did in the Plenue D thread (I tested it for a few members). You should get the region option again once 1.30 is reinstalled :thumbsup:

1.20 Version :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboar...m&bmenu=support&desc=asc&no=602&bmenu=support
I might have to go hunting for 1.10 (original FW that was on it). Doing a downgrade to 1.20 and back to 1.30 didn't trigger the region selection.

Dec 26, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #283 of 448
Dec 27, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #284 of 448
Has anyone heard heard and can compare this player to the Sony zx300? I have been able to find only one person who has heard both so far. I'm looking for an upgrade from my Cowon PD and it will be one of these two players.

My primary use will consist of iems and efficient portable headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back