Cowon Plenue P1
Sep 7, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,341 of 2,974
Lol... I love my X7 it's been one of the best buys ever. Along with the P1. Both are great. I think the X7 is a bit brighter, but that might be my settings as I eq the hell out of everything. I haven't touched the highs on the P1 yet.

I just updated my firmware to 2.16. Any audio differences between that and earlier firmwares?

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #2,342 of 2,974
Lol... I love my X7 it's been one of the best buys ever. Along with the P1. Both are great. I think the X7 is a bit brighter, but that might be my settings as I eq the hell out of everything. I haven't touched the highs on the P1 yet.

I just updated my firmware to 2.16. Any audio differences between that and earlier firmwares?

No audio differences from the past versions that I could tell.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #2,343 of 2,974
What a great player this is. Really enjoying it. I hooked the Mojo up and did some abing, definitely didn't hear a difference for the ten minutes or so of going back and forth. Just curious if I could detect a difference.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #2,344 of 2,974
What a great player this is. Really enjoying it. I hooked the Mojo up and did some abing, definitely didn't hear a difference for the ten minutes or so of going back and forth. Just curious if I could detect a difference.

+1 Yes, it's hard not to like the P1. It's Sade, a "Smooth operator." 
biggrin.gif
 Funny you say you didn't hear a difference. One other member has both and stated that the Mojo was just tad better but the P1 followed closely. You are the only other person that says something about comparing the two that is still within the ball park of making me feel that the P1 was a good choice. Thank you for your post. Makes me feel better to not have the itch to get the famously talked about AK.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,346 of 2,974
  Ok so 300 USD increase on amazon it's back up to 1K ... :frowning2:

Waiting for it to drop back down to 699USD before I buy

One new for $900.00 but that's still too much. I got mine for the $699.00. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N7A9U5Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8

Check this out Ebay has the $699.00 price still: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cowon+p1&tbm=shop

One left-grab it!!

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #2,347 of 2,974
Guys, I'm thinking about getting the optical version of the Centrance M8 to power LCD XC from P1. It should work well right? I guess optical out is the only true lineout option we have.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,348 of 2,974
I suppose. I haven't tried optical out. I have run LCD-XC direct out of the P1 and found it fine. I tried the Utopia today but the adapter I bought was crappy, got some static on slight movements. Otherwise seemed to be ok. Need to get a dedicated cable. Anyways I think it's possible to run them without a separate amp. On the portable side I want to keep it simple.

Edit: Just tried P1 optical out to my Yggdrasil. Bam! Works great :)

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #2,349 of 2,974
I suppose. I haven't tried optical out. I have run LCD-XC direct out of the P1 and found it fine. I tried the Utopia today but the adapter I bought was crappy, got some static on slight movements. Otherwise seemed to be ok. Need to get a dedicated cable. Anyways I think it's possible to run them without a separate amp. On the portable side I want to keep it simple.

Edit: Just tried P1 optical out to my Yggdrasil. Bam! Works great :)

No, distortion? Can you show me what kind of cable you are using? Thanks.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,350 of 2,974
No, distortion? Can you show me what kind of cable you are using? Thanks.

I'm using Lifatec optical cable. Found out about this via the Life-after-Yggy thread.
http://lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Thing is that's not designed for portable rigs. I have that for my desktop setup. I suppose maybe you have a not very great optical cable or maybe slight movements on the cable are interrupting the signal? Maybe someone else out there can recommend a good optical cable for portable use? Using optical it's digital out so you shouldn't get any distortion. On the analog side if I turn off all the effects/EQ I can run the volume to a higher level before I hit distortion.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,351 of 2,974
I'm using Lifatec optical cable. Found out about this via the Life-after-Yggy thread.
http://lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Thing is that's not designed for portable rigs. I have that for my desktop setup. I suppose maybe you have a not very great optical cable or maybe slight movements on the cable are interrupting the signal? Maybe someone else out there can recommend a good optical cable for portable use? Using optical it's digital out so you shouldn't get any distortion. On the analog side if I turn off all the effects/EQ I can run the volume to a higher level before I hit distortion.

Two options come to mind.
Cheap option is a Fiio L12S and a toslink plug ( the Fiio is mini to mini) this should set up back about $20.
The other option is to order something from Sysconcept, a chinese build to order company - this is more expensive and starts at $70 w/out shipping.
http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349&osCsid=67sb9m9o15phsp1j2sn3d96cl1

Regards,

Giles

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,352 of 2,974
Two options come to mind.
Cheap option is a Fiio L12S and a toslink plug ( the Fiio is mini to mini) this should set up back about $20.
The other option is to order something from Sysconcept, a chinese build to order company - this is more expensive and starts at $70 w/out shipping.
http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349&osCsid=67sb9m9o15phsp1j2sn3d96cl1

Regards,

Giles

​The FiiO L12S will feed from the P1 to say like the line in of Centrance M8 or Cypherlabs Thereom Duet?

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #2,353 of 2,974
​The FiiO L12S will feed from the P1 to say like the line in of Centrance M8 or Cypherlabs Thereom Duet?

Its an optical cable feeding a digital signal, so in the case of the M8 it needs to be the LX which takes a toslink optical, on the other hand both the Thereom 720 anf the standard M8 only accept an Usb digital signal so the Fiio is pointless. Checking the manufacturer sites and/or looking at the inputs of the device in question should answer the issue of input types.

Regards,

Giles

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2,354 of 2,974
Its an optical cable feeding a digital signal, so in the case of the M8 it needs to be the LX which takes a toslink optical, on the other hand both the Thereom 720 anf the standard M8 only accept an Usb digital signal so the Fiio is pointless. Checking the manufacturer sites and/or looking at the inputs of the device in question should answer the issue of input types.

Regards,

Giles

Thanks. The hardest part with this hobby is trying to figure out cables and outputs. I have not heard anyone with the hifi-m8 lx with the P1. Theoretically it should be very clean signal right since it's a digital signal that bypasses P1's DAC?

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #2,355 of 2,974
Thanks. The hardest part with this hobby is trying to figure out cables and outputs. I have not heard anyone with the hifi-m8 lx with the P1. Theoretically it should be very clean signal right since it's a digital signal that bypasses P1's DAC?

Subject of course to all the usual caveats, sure it should be clean. Inputs and outputs can be a bit troublesome, but if you ask someone can always help.

I suspect you don't hear of many people hooking up any amp or amp/dac to the P1 for portable use. On the amp front the P1 is more powerful than any Astell and Kern and can comfortably drive any portable headphone and on the Dac front there aren't many dac chips superior to the BB1792A - different sure, but better? There have been the odd punter or two who have done so but generally to drive headphones that one has a difficulty calling suitable for walking around.... 

I'm a horses for courses guy. Use a Dap for portability and a desktop for other uses, choose headphones to match the need. Don't force something into an impractical and cumbersome use, it'll only frustrate you. I think a lot of serial box swappers get caught up in two particular factors 1. FOTM and 2. Not considering their needs when acquiring said FOTM. Too often I read about a perfectly good dap and perfectly good headphones being discarded/sold because need and compatabilitywasn't considered. (The Beyer DT48 craze of a few years back was hysterical - who'd have thought that large, inefficient studio headphone would be difficult to drive from a dap!). I use the P1 as a transport for my work desktop system (Naim Dac V1) but that's primarily because we have a closed system LAN - no music on board our PCs.

regards,

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back