Cowon Plenue P1
Jul 26, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,383 of 2,974
Well I tried the AK380 and apart from the awful experience with Android File Transfer Manager and my iMAC I did get a good few hours listening to it.
Gotta say I think the P1, admittedly with an external portable amp, is equal in sound quality to the AK380. Thats how good the P1 is.
I rate the ZX2 as well but I like the fact the P1 does not have bluetooth or wifi or any other bloatware.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,386 of 2,974
Vilhelm,
Do I really need a PHA-3 with the P1, I'm using now the P1 with the Arrow G4 and JH16, power enough and most of it I'm listening is Mp3 and AAC.
Is the sound really much better with the Sony amp?

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,387 of 2,974
  Vilhelm,
Do I really need a PHA-3 with the P1, I'm using now the P1 with the Arrow G4 and JH16, power enough and most of it I'm listening is Mp3 and AAC.
Is the sound really much better with the Sony amp?

In my opinion no.
I prefer P1 with an amp to P1 with external DAC assuming that is what you mean as opposed to just using PHA3 as an amp. 
Why do that, better value to buy a good amp.

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #1,389 of 2,974
  After reading posts about the Sony PHA-3 it should be a very good and expensive amp.

I heard many negative things about Sony PHA-series. Even a dealer of Sony stuff told a close customer of his that one should not buy the PHA-series. I can't say myself whether or not this sounds good but all I can say is, I think it'd be worth more to get something from ALO Audio like the Rx or one of their optical input portable dac/amps. Or the Hugo which I enjoy.

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,390 of 2,974
  After reading posts about the Sony PHA-3 it should be a very good and expensive amp.

I loved the sound from the PHA-3 amp, I used it with the ZX1. The SQ was way better than the ZX1 by itself and was one of my favourite sound signatures along with the P1, Paw Gold and N6.

Mind you, I never felt the need to amp the P1, as I thought the SQ and power straight from the unit was amazing paired with my CE 6EPs; the synergy was out of this world!.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,391 of 2,974
I loved the sound from the PHA-3 amp, I used it with the ZX1. The SQ was way better than the ZX1 by itself and was one of my favourite sound signatures along with the P1, Paw Gold and N6.

Mind you, I never felt the need to amp the P1, as I thought the SQ and power straight from the unit was amazing paired with my CE 6EPs; the synergy was out of this world!.

I think we need to be clear here. The PHA3 is a DAC and Amp like the Hugo. So if you want to use an external DAC and the Cowon as transport then ok but you lose its signature sound and replace it with sound of the DAC.
Try a pure ext amp as opposed to optical out DAC.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,392 of 2,974
I think we need to be clear here. The PHA3 is a DAC and Amp like the Hugo. So if you want to use an external DAC and the Cowon as transport then ok but you lose its signature sound and replace it with sound of the DAC.
Try a pure ext amp as opposed to optical out DAC.

Yes, that's why I used the PHA-3 with the Sony ZX1, for it's improved sound and power
smily_headphones1.gif
. I wouldn't use it with the P1 personally as that was amazing on it's own.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #1,393 of 2,974
Just in case anyone is interested.  Advanced MP3 players currently has the P1 reduced from £740 to £640.  I also was able to use the code AMAZON15% at checkout and have just bought a P1 for £544.  A pretty good price :)   My ZX1 will be on the bay tomorrow.

If anyone can get this deal, then go for it! I've had my P1 for 2 months now, and I love it. The sound quality to me is superb and that is without BBE, or EQ. I use it with Dunu 2000j, and Fidue A83( my favourite combination)and my X5, and my AK100 II are not getting a look in.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,395 of 2,974
Im so resisting the urge, but i think I'm going to wait and see what the Fiio X7 brings to the table. If thats a no go maybe the P1 will be even cheaper or updated by then.
Note to self, must not add to basket, must not add to basket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back