Cowon Plenue P1
Jul 22, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,367 of 2,974
I never like to EQ (partial laziness), but I understand why everyone says the P1's EQ is really good. Sound improves a lot in the different settings :) Still would have been nice to be able to see some visualization of the setting. 

Does anybody know what BBE stands for in the first few settings? And what the basic difference between the iem and headphone setting is?

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,368 of 2,974
  I never like to EQ (partial laziness), but I understand why everyone says the P1's EQ is really good. Sound improves a lot in the different settings :) Still would have been nice to be able to see some visualization of the setting. 

Does anybody know what BBE stands for in the first few settings? And what the basic difference between the iem and headphone setting is?

Here is some info:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_etc/product_bbe.php

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,370 of 2,974
Do any p1 owners think my heir audio 8 will pair well

I'm liking the combo more and more. Both the 8.A and P1 have that smooth, analogue feel to it but it matches well. Especially after I started EQ-ing to 'blues' when listening to blues/rock, or BBE ViVA 2 when tracks tend to get congested (the 8.A can sometimes sound quite congested when guitars are too thick etc.)

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,371 of 2,974
  I'm liking the combo more and more. Both the 8.A and P1 have that smooth, analogue feel to it but it matches well. Especially after I started EQ-ing to 'blues' when listening to blues/rock, or BBE ViVA 2 when tracks tend to get congested (the 8.A can sometimes sound quite congested when guitars are too thick etc.)

If you don't mind me asking, how do you say it compares to the DX90?

I really want something that sounds clean and articulate and from the reviews/impressions of the player, it seems that it can sometimes be really smooth and congested.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #1,372 of 2,974

If you don't mind me asking, how do you say it compares to the DX90?

I really want something that sounds clean and articulate and from the reviews/impressions of the player, it seems that it can sometimes be really smooth and congested.

It doesn't. The Dx90 is what it is, a nice mid-price DAP. It has limits on functionality, capability and performance being built as it is to a price point. The P1, like the AK100/120ii/240, HM901s, the Sony ZX2 are not. They therefore have better technocalities, capabilities and sound - though this last is dependent on your preferences, in absolute terms it isn't hard to make the case. I believe that each of these sounds different (and better in some aspects) than the DX90.

From my point of view, the DX 90 presents music in a flatter, less tactile, more etched fashion than the P1.The treble to me is forced and suffers from digititus ie an unatural sharpness. The P1 is more natural sounding - hence my comments elsewhere on instrumental timbre and (a phrase you'll often hear with the P1) more analogue. In terms of congestion, I actually found that with complex, big symphonic late romantic pieces, the DX90 is far more prone to collapsing the soundstage than the P1 (as an example Karajan's recording of Bruckner's Ninth Symphony - first movement, the last few minutes after the tympani kick in are vast in scale, scope and dynamism - not that you'd note on the DX90, it just renders it as a homogenous wall of sound, the P1 gives you separation and scale.(though i'd be remiss if i didn't say really this piece requires serious speakers moving serious air to be at it best). This may be as a result of the amp circuit, I suspect that the new Questyle DAPs with their current delivery amp circuits would be able to handle pieces like this even better.

Let me put it another way, recently I acquired both the P1 and the Noble Audio Savants. I use the Savants equally with the AKG K3003s when I use IEMs. At no stage have I really bothered to use the DX90 in place of the P1. in the first case, there are sufficient differences to merit equal use, in the second there are no differences, just a significant improvement.

The DX90 is, to me, probably the best mid-range player. I found it better than the Fiio X5, the Cayin N6, the Sony ZX1 and the original AK100. I found it played well with all my headphones and the wide range of music I listened to. Its UI was tolerable and its stability an improvement on the DX50 (which I also own). But it is a mid-range player.

regards,

Giles

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,374 of 2,974
It doesn't. The Dx90 is what it is, a nice mid-price DAP. It has limits on functionality, capability and performance being built as it is to a price point. The P1, like the AK100/120ii/240, HM901s, the Sony ZX2 are not. They therefore have better technocalities, capabilities and sound - though this last is dependent on your preferences, in absolute terms it isn't hard to make the case. I believe that each of these sounds different (and better in some aspects) than the DX90.

From my point of view, the DX 90 presents music in a flatter, less tactile, more etched fashion than the P1.The treble to me is forced and suffers from digititus ie an unatural sharpness. The P1 is more natural sounding - hence my comments elsewhere on instrumental timbre and (a phrase you'll often hear with the P1) more analogue. In terms of congestion, I actually found that with complex, big symphonic late romantic pieces, the DX90 is far more prone to collapsing the soundstage than the P1 (as an example Karajan's recording of Bruckner's Ninth Symphony - first movement, the last few minutes after the tympani kick in are vast in scale, scope and dynamism - not that you'd note on the DX90, it just renders it as a homogenous wall of sound, the P1 gives you separation and scale.(though i'd be remiss if i didn't say really this piece requires serious speakers moving serious air to be at it best). This may be as a result of the amp circuit, I suspect that the new Questyle DAPs with their current delivery amp circuits would be able to handle pieces like this even better.

Let me put it another way, recently I acquired both the P1 and the Noble Audio Savants. I use the Savants equally with the AKG K3003s when I use IEMs. At no stage have I really bothered to use the DX90 in place of the P1. in the first case, there are sufficient differences to merit equal use, in the second there are no differences, just a significant improvement.

The DX90 is, to me, probably the best mid-range player. I found it better than the Fiio X5, the Cayin N6, the Sony ZX1 and the original AK100. I found it played well with all my headphones and the wide range of music I listened to. Its UI was tolerable and its stability an improvement on the DX50 (which I also own). But it is a mid-range player.

regards,

Giles

Giles I can't thank you enough. That's exactly what I was looking for. While I found the DX90 to be more than adequate with most genres of music, I definitely felt it could have done better with Classical (I am also new to Classical music as well).

I would agree with your opinion that the DX90 sounds a bit flat meaning you can't make out the ups and downs of the instruments and tones. This made the music lacking in character and emotion in some cases.

It seems that the Plenue players are definitely more resolving and dynamic than the DX90 so they seem like a good choice. I think you have convinced me to get one of the Plenue players. Now to decide whether to get the P1 or the M. I think I would prefer the slightly more exciting and aggressive sounding player meaning the M would be a better choice.

Your information has really helped me so once again thanks for your insight.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,377 of 2,974
does the p1 have a instant power on feature

It's not technically "instant on" as it does a database update every time you power it on. However, the database update only takes a few seconds. Total time between turning the P1 on and when you can play music is roughly 10 seconds. It's much faster than my old AK120, which took forever to power on. Trying to do a database update on the AK120 took a minimum of 5 minutes.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,378 of 2,974
Just in case anyone is interested.  Advanced MP3 players currently has the P1 reduced from £740 to £640.  I also was able to use the code AMAZON15% at checkout and have just bought a P1 for £544.  A pretty good price :)   My ZX1 will be on the bay tomorrow.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,379 of 2,974
Just in case anyone is interested.  Advanced MP3 players currently has the P1 reduced from £740 to £640.  I also was able to use the code AMAZON15% at checkout and have just bought a P1 for £544.  A pretty good price :)   My ZX1 will be on the bay tomorrow.

Mmmm...I'm afraid iI was valid just till midnight. Now it tells me that the code has expired. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back