Cowon Plenue P1
Jul 7, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #1,336 of 2,974
Hi, has any one been using the P1 with the Chord Hugo? I'm looking for a DAP to give digital output to the Hugo while on the go so I am asking.
Thank you.

Yes. The optical out of the P1 is perfect for the Hugo. I've tried all Hugo's inputs and think optical sounds the best of the lot. The decent UI and lightening quick turn on time (1-2 seconds, no exaggeration) make the P1 my main Hugo DAP.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #1,337 of 2,974
Yes. The optical out of the P1 is perfect for the Hugo. I've tried all Hugo's inputs and think optical sounds the best of the lot. The decent UI and lightening quick turn on time (1-2 seconds, no exaggeration) make the P1 my main Hugo DAP.

@Wilderbeast , have you compared the P1's optical output against Cowon's own PM and A&K players?
If I go for a PM, I think it's great value because it's quite a bit cheaper than the P1, is smaller than P1 (I think), has longer battery life than the P1, and so on. I'm going to use the DAP I buy solely as a digital transport to feed my Hugo anyways.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #1,339 of 2,974
@Wilderbeast
 , have you compared the P1's optical output against Cowon's own PM and A&K players?
If I go for a PM, I think it's great value because it's quite a bit cheaper than the P1, is smaller than P1 (I think), has longer battery life than the P1, and so on. I'm going to use the DAP I buy solely as a digital transport to feed my Hugo anyways.

I've used the optical out of the AK120 and AK120ii. They both sounded the same as the P1 from the Hugo - all excellent. I haven't tried Cowon's other DAPs.

If it's just a transport for the Hugo you're after, why not use one of the cheaper iBasso DAPs? I had the DX90, which has good UI and worked well with Hugo. The DX50 is cheaper still, with the same UI.

Or perhaps something from Fiio? Don't some of them have optical out?

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #1,340 of 2,974
I've used the optical out of the AK120 and AK120ii. They both sounded the same as the P1 from the Hugo - all excellent. I haven't tried Cowon's other DAPs.

If it's just a transport for the Hugo you're after, why not use one of the cheaper iBasso DAPs? I had the DX90, which has good UI and worked well with Hugo. The DX50 is cheaper still, with the same UI.

Or perhaps something from Fiio? Don't some of them have optical out?

Good to know.

I am using a DX50 right now but the main reason for me to get a new DAP to feed the Hugo is because I want the DAP to be easier to use.
I absolutely hate Fiio's UI and their scroll wheel and DX50/90's screen is pad and is very small despite being touchscreen.
Some requirements I have are- optical or coaxial out does not matter, must have a good sized touchscreen, easy to use and responsive UI, decent size, okay battery life and more.

So I think I will end up with a A&K or a Cowon.
Cheers.

BTW, Fiios have coaxial output.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #1,341 of 2,974
Hi all. I recently bought a Plenue M in order to pair it with my new Westone umpro 50.
I previously bought an iBasso dx90, but I got a defective unit, a phisical button was not working properly.
Thus I decided to buy the Plenue M. Where I live (Italy) is not easy to find a place where to buy high quality dap, thus Amazon.it is my only choice, both for buying and for warranty service (most of this dap come from chinise or Korean company which don't have a warranty repairing center in my country).
Well, I found the Penue M maybe a little soft for what concern highs in respect of the iBasso dx90, but overall I like the sound. Yes, maybe, as I said, a little bit to soft into the highs. Anyway, I now want to buy a cover for my Plenue M but where I live the only worth buying cover costs almost 80€. This takes my Plenue M really close to the cost of a Plenue P1. Given the fact that the Plenue P1 has 128gb of internal storage, already has a nice cover, I'm really considering making the change (I'm still into the 30 days Amazon trial period for my Plenue m).

Now here comes the question: will the Plenue p1 give me that little more than the Plenue M into the high spectrum?
Is there any other difference into the amp parts for instance between those two dap, beside the difference of day chip? Moreover, is there so much difference between the bb1792A and the bb1795?
Given the price range of the Plenue P1 I'm even considering an AK100 II (is another dap I can easily buy on Amazon.it), but how does it compare with the Plenue P1?!
I don't have many dsd (and I don't know if I'll buy more of them), but I'd like a new dap that can directly decode it, given how many euros these dap cost, I'd like to have as many feature as possible...
Of course it's always a quest for the sweetest point: sound matter the most to me, even more than some features. :p
I like the warm sound of the Plenue M, I read that the ak100 ii is a little bit on the cold side. But maybe my westone umpro50 can compensate it!?!?

Well....maybe to many questions for a noob....sorry guys and thanks in advance. :wink:

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #1,342 of 2,974

Hi, just to report happily that the Plenue P1 pairs beautifully with the JH Roxannes, big and open sound and fantastic mids, maybe no a reference sound but very very fun!

And the Dignis case is one hell of a case, much better than the stock one, glad i pick it, its gives the player the premium finish i was looking for...

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,346 of 2,974
Found t! Thanks a ton!

At the very bottom of the Plenue page on the Cowon Global website, there are two handy tabs. The left hand one links to the latest firmware. The right hand side is called User Created Interface, which is where they have different skins. There are four at the moment, including the Oblique. Problem is you can only have one of the new skins in the ui at any one time.

Regards,

Giles

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,347 of 2,974
Hi all. I recently bought a Plenue M in order to pair it with my new Westone umpro 50.
I previously bought an iBasso dx90, but I got a defective unit, a phisical button was not working properly.
Thus I decided to buy the Plenue M. Where I live (Italy) is not easy to find a place where to buy high quality dap, thus Amazon.it is my only choice, both for buying and for warranty service (most of this dap come from chinise or Korean company which don't have a warranty repairing center in my country).
Well, I found the Penue M maybe a little soft for what concern highs in respect of the iBasso dx90, but overall I like the sound. Yes, maybe, as I said, a little bit to soft into the highs. Anyway, I now want to buy a cover for my Plenue M but where I live the only worth buying cover costs almost 80€. This takes my Plenue M really close to the cost of a Plenue P1. Given the fact that the Plenue P1 has 128gb of internal storage, already has a nice cover, I'm really considering making the change (I'm still into the 30 days Amazon trial period for my Plenue m).

Now here comes the question: will the Plenue p1 give me that little more than the Plenue M into the high spectrum?
Is there any other difference into the amp parts for instance between those two dap, beside the difference of day chip? Moreover, is there so much difference between the bb1792A and the bb1795?
Given the price range of the Plenue P1 I'm even considering an AK100 II (is another dap I can easily buy on Amazon.it), but how does it compare with the Plenue P1?!
I don't have many dsd (and I don't know if I'll buy more of them), but I'd like a new dap that can directly decode it, given how many euros these dap cost, I'd like to have as many feature as possible...
Of course it's always a quest for the sweetest point: sound matter the most to me, even more than some features. :p
I like the warm sound of the Plenue M, I read that the ak100 ii is a little bit on the cold side. But maybe my westone umpro50 can compensate it!?!?

Well....maybe to many questions for a noob....sorry guys and thanks in advance. :wink:

No one has any idea about cowon plenue m vs cowon plenue p1 sq differences nor about cowon plenue m (or p1 too) vs ak100ii sq differences? I'm really in 2 minds!!!

Thanks

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,348 of 2,974
Hi,

I need help for this question. I just bought the ALO International + Optical Edition to pair with the Plenue 1. My question is "Does the Plenue 1 work as a dac when i plug to the International using optical input? Does the Plenue 1 bypass the amp part and just transfer analog signal to International?"

Thank you very much

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,349 of 2,974
No one has any idea about cowon plenue m vs cowon plenue p1 sq differences nor about cowon plenue m (or p1 too) vs ak100ii sq differences? I'm really in 2 minds!!!

Thanks

This review on Cnet compares the Plenue 1, the Plenue M in passing and the Sony Zx2. http://www.cnet.com/au/products/cowon-plenue-1/
The observations are similar to mine. I think the differences in sound reflect the Burr Brown dac chips - I've always found the 1795 to be the lesser device in all its implementations than the 1792. To me the P1 is more laid back, but more timbrally accurate, better at instrument separation and conveying the architecture of a piece than the M, whereas the M is a smidge better at PRaT. The issue with Plenue daps is the Jet Effect equalisation can be used to tweak the sound to your liking. If you read some of my other comments over the last 10 or so pages, you'll see why I bought the P1.

Regards,

Giles

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,350 of 2,974
This review on Cnet compares the Plenue 1, the Plenue M in passing and the Sony Zx2. http://www.cnet.com/au/products/cowon-plenue-1/
The observations are similar to mine. I think the differences in sound reflect the Burr Brown dac chips - I've always found the 1795 to be the lesser device in all its implementations than the 1792. To me the P1 is more laid back, but more timbrally accurate, better at instrument separation and conveying the architecture of a piece than the M, whereas the M is a smidge better at PRaT. The issue with Plenue daps is the Jet Effect equalisation can be used to tweak the sound to your liking. If you read some of my other comments over the last 10 or so pages, you'll see why I bought the P1.

Regards,

Giles

Hi Giles, thanks for your answer first of all.
Yes, I've already read the review on CNET, but I always prefer to have different point of view. :p
To be honest, I've already read your posts too, but you were comparing it to others day, not to the plenue m nor to the ak100ii.
Then, for what I understood, the p1 won't have more open high frequencies than the m? Comparing the m to the ibasso dx90 I had, it seems that the m is a little bit more recessed into the high frequencies.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back