Cowon Plenue P1
May 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,261 of 2,974

I would be curious to know which one you think has the "same" amount of detail and warmth that you would hear if the (acoustic) instruments were being played (unamplified) in your presence.  Is one adding detail, or is the other removing it?  I am not trying to criticise your observations, but merely to put them into context.  In some sense, I think stereo is a way to 'trick' your brain.  Unlike a photograph, which is just a document of an event, place or person, a recording 'tries' to transport you to the event, as if you were there (at least for me, that's much of the point).   Which one does this better -

Thanks for reading this - I am curious how people will respond, and whether my reasons for listeing are too far afield of others', or pretty much the same.  I am also curious how much it has to do with genre (I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz).

This is a difficult question. No DAP comes close to producing the sound instruments played next to you. Both of the players I mentioned have strengths and weaknesses: The AK120II is brighter, airier, and seems to have more detail. It has a 'sharp' sound; a triangle 'tings' and a drum 'thumps', and you can hear the 'scratch' of a violin bow. Whilst I appreciate these things, and initially they are impressive, I find them harsh on my ears after a short time.

In contrast, the P1 is warmer, softer and the treble is quieter. There is perhaps less 'definition' than the AK120II, but I find it more musical. Instruments are more 'blended' on the P1. To use an earphone analogy, the AK120II is your JH13 Pro - detailed, prominent treble, great for analytical listening. The P1, on the other hand, is more like a Noble K10 - slightly recessed treble, less 'in your face' sound that is made for enjoying music, rather than 'listening' to music.

I realise this hasn't answered your question at all. I don't know the answer I'm afraid. The players are chalk and cheese - try to demo them if possible, I'm sure you'd gravitate towards one or the other.

May 18, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #1,262 of 2,974
  This is a difficult question. No DAP comes close to producing the sound instruments played next to you. Both of the players I mentioned have strengths and weaknesses:

I agree, but it is a goal for some (myself included).  Others have a more 'My-Fi' approach, primariy, I think, those who listen exclusively to electric or electronic instruments.  I speculate this, not in judgment, but just as a "fact".  By way of analogy, it's like the difference between how one visualizes fictional characters-- "Why did they get xxx actor to play character YYY, they should have gotten BBBB- he looks more like YYY"  than in a documentary, where there was a real person, who looked a very specific way.

Thanks for your thoughtful response- I am not "shopping", but was simply curious about your comments.  I have a P1 (like it) and agree with your assessment- it is very good, however.  I also really like my Calyx M, which is a better match for driving my 16 ohm Shure 846s, but the P1 via a Portaphile 627, new old-style version) is quite yummy too.

May 18, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,263 of 2,974
The closest I've heard to 'real' sound is the Chord Hugo. It's like the best of the two DAPs mentioned rolled into one. Warm, musical and smooth. It's incredibly detailed and musical and enjoyable.

The Calyx M has been on my radar for a while now, though I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in the UK. How would you compare it with the P1? Based on the reviews I've read they seem similar, though I haven't yet seen a comparison.

May 18, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,264 of 2,974
  This is a difficult question. No DAP comes close to producing the sound instruments played next to you. Both of the players I mentioned have strengths and weaknesses: The AK120II is brighter, airier, and seems to have more detail. It has a 'sharp' sound; a triangle 'tings' and a drum 'thumps', and you can hear the 'scratch' of a violin bow. Whilst I appreciate these things, and initially they are impressive, I find them harsh on my ears after a short time.

In contrast, the P1 is warmer, softer and the treble is quieter. There is perhaps less 'definition' than the AK120II, but I find it more musical. Instruments are more 'blended' on the P1. To use an earphone analogy, the AK120II is your JH13 Pro - detailed, prominent treble, great for analytical listening. The P1, on the other hand, is more like a Noble K10 - slightly recessed treble, less 'in your face' sound that is made for enjoying music, rather than 'listening' to music.

I realise this hasn't answered your question at all. I don't know the answer I'm afraid. The players are chalk and cheese - try to demo them if possible, I'm sure you'd gravitate towards one or the other.

I agree with Wilderbeast.  I own the JH13 (pre-freq) and the P1 and the AK 120II.  To be brief:  P1: musical....AK 12011: analytical.  Each has it's place, but I almost always use some type of "buffer" with the AK 120II.  Either the RSA Intruder or a tube stage takes the edge off.  I feel no need to add anything to the P1.

May 25, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,266 of 2,974
Ok so this showed up today.
All these EQ settings will be the death of me :p

I liked it stock, though a little bland it sounded good.

I tried some EQ and what not and the thing leaped to life.
But then like all EQ I get tired of it or the genre changes and I am no longer happy.
Turned it off.  My god boring.
Changed tracks, ok, lets start fresh.  Yup sounds good...
Hmn this track from Man of Steel sound track could use a bit more oomph and depth...
Turns on BBE!

WOW this sounds good....
Next track, nope I just want no eq.
Boring...

Rinse repeat lol.

Sometimes its better I just dont have options :p

THat being said, I am pretty happy with the overall sound and the UI is great, just need to resist to keep changing things.

May 25, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #1,267 of 2,974
Ok so this showed up today.
All these EQ settings will be the death of me :p

I liked it stock, though a little bland it sounded good.

I tried some EQ and what not and the thing leaped to life.
But then like all EQ I get tired of it or the genre changes and I am no longer happy.
Turned it off.  My god boring.
Changed tracks, ok, lets start fresh.  Yup sounds good...
Hmn this track from Man of Steel sound track could use a bit more oomph and depth...
Turns on BBE!

WOW this sounds good....
Next track, nope I just want no eq.
Boring...

Rinse repeat lol.

Sometimes its better I just dont have options :p

THat being said, I am pretty happy with the overall sound and the UI is great, just need to resist to keep changing things.

Could you list out what songs are included in the P1? I tried it in Tokyo and found 1 Jazz track which I liked but forgot the name lol.

May 25, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,269 of 2,974
HAHAHA

JUst for you sure :p

April - Jack Lee & Bob James
It was written Thousand Years Ago
Paper Moon - Jack Lee & Annekei
Sphere - Jack Lee & Bob James

Paper Moon! That's the one lol.
Thanks a bunch! :D

May 25, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,270 of 2,974
Paper Moon! That's the one lol.
Thanks a bunch!
biggrin.gif

lol No worries.
That will be $1400aud :p

May 26, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #1,273 of 2,974
Looking forward to your impressions Wyd4 since I was looking for a different sound signature from the AK100II.  While it sounds so detailed and clear, while presenting a very wide and deep soundstage, the bass is a bit lacking.  I enjoy how smooth and articulate the player was but on my commutes I definitely have a different preference.  Hopefully the P1 has better bass and thicker/more textured notes.

May 26, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #1,274 of 2,974
  Looking forward to your impressions Wyd4 since I was looking for a different sound signature from the AK100II.  While it sounds so detailed and clear, while presenting a very wide and deep soundstage, the bass is a bit lacking.  I enjoy how smooth and articulate the player was but on my commutes I definitely have a different preference.  Hopefully the P1 has better bass and thicker/more textured notes.

I will need a bit of time with it but yeah I will try get some thoughts up once everything settles in
:)

May 26, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #1,275 of 2,974
lol No worries.
That will be $1400aud :p

Lol here $$$$$ (head-fi AUD1400 worth of credit)

I did try briefly the AK100II and Plenue P1 in Yodobashi. As I was interested in the AK100II previously before jumping on the ZX2, I was quite disappointed when I finally listened to the AK100II. Sounded a bit congested and lacking in clarity. But i was more impressed with the P1 though. More musical and engaging.
But I'm sure Wyd4's comparison would be better since he can sleep with both of them everyday :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back