Cowon Plenue P1
Jan 2, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #961 of 2,974
I took the plunge and picked up an open box deal from amp3 in the uk. P1 was delivered on Tuesday and I've been listening more or less non stop since. To me it is an order of magnitude better than the ak120, firmware is fluid, library updates quickly and the sound is superb. I've used it with a couple of different ciems(merlins, ce6p, music one) I own and with the jeteffect stuff you can change the sound to suit. Very happy with it so far and the ak120 will probably end up sold on.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #962 of 2,974
I took the plunge and picked up an open box deal from amp3 in the uk. P1 was delivered on Tuesday and I've been listening more or less non stop since. To me it is an order of magnitude better than the ak120, firmware is fluid, library updates quickly and the sound is superb. I've used it with a couple of different ciems(merlins, ce6p, music one) I own and with the jeteffect stuff you can change the sound to suit. Very happy with it so far and the ak120 will probably end up sold on.

That is exactly how I felt, and despite using an AK120 with RW-S mod, I am happy to report that I am giving the overall package to the P1. The sound is more fun, you get more EQs to play around with and UI is a huge huge step up from AK120. 

Very very happy with my purchase.

# my P1 with UM 3DD

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #963 of 2,974
  That is exactly how I felt, and despite using an AK120 with RW-S mod, I am happy to report that I am giving the overall package to the P1. The sound is more fun, you get more EQs to play around with and UI is a huge huge step up from AK120. 

Very very happy with my purchase.

# my P1 with UM 3DD

Nice setup!

Always happy to see another 3DD user. Could you tell me how the mids fair with the 3DDs?

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #967 of 2,974
Hi guys

Does anyone know which settings & connection I should use to connect it to my car system (Burmeister) ? 
When connecting to the AUX input should I use headphone or earphone mode ? any other settings ?
Is it possible to read the tracks in the car through the USB input (as I do with an iphone) ? Has anybody tried this ?

Thanks a lot 

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #968 of 2,974
How does the ZX1 compare with the P1 sound-wise without external amp? I'm currently using ZX1 with PHA-3. I would love to get a player that has those sound capabilities without the external amp and without spending a ton on something like the AK240.

I'm looking at the P1 and ZX2 as a possible replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #969 of 2,974
I have both is that p1 zx1 .... both complement! Zx1 has a bright sound cold and good soundstage! The ability to have streaming flac with Qobuz and great! Unfortunately does not have much power output and when the recordings are low even with low-impedance headphones can not satisfy me!
The P1 and more immersive and engaging ... always clearly defined, but in summary it has a wonderfully clear but almost analogue smoothness, not 'hot' exactly ... just more 'natural' as many say! The output power and definitely on another level and able to drive headphones with medium impedance without problems! The default audio settings I think are good but with small corrections you get a sound and a stage that makes you feel wonderful live music! the zx2 unfortunately I have not tried the :D

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #970 of 2,974
I have both is that p1 zx1 .... both complement! Zx1 has a bright sound cold and good soundstage! The ability to have streaming flac with Qobuz and great! Unfortunately does not have much power output and when the recordings are low even with low-impedance headphones can not satisfy me!
The P1 and more immersive and engaging ... always clearly defined, but in summary it has a wonderfully clear but almost analogue smoothness, not 'hot' exactly ... just more 'natural' as many say! The output power and definitely on another level and able to drive headphones with medium impedance without problems! The default audio settings I think are good but with small corrections you get a sound and a stage that makes you feel wonderful live music! the zx2 unfortunately I have not tried the
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much for that. I have ordered a P1 and it should be here on Friday, so looking forward to that. I'm hoping it can get close or match my ZX1/PHA-3 combo, as amazing as it is, it's quite a beast to carry around.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #971 of 2,974
After listening straight for about a week, I think it presents very smoothly to me and to merely quote others as describing it as "analogue" when compared to something like a RWAK120S the AK felt a bit more technical if you like. When it comes to describing sound signature, I am an amateur and stand corrected. But I hope that helps :D

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #972 of 2,974
After listening straight for about a week, I think it presents very smoothly to me and to merely quote others as describing it as "analogue" when compared to something like a RWAK120S the AK felt a bit more technical if you like. When it comes to describing sound signature, I am an amateur and stand corrected. But I hope that helps
biggrin.gif

Thanks, all info is good :). I like more of a warm smooth sound as opposed to cold and bright, so it sounds promising.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #973 of 2,974
Hey folks, something unfortunate happened to me over the weekend and I almost lost my P1. But I lost my 3DD and also my girlfriend's iPhone 6 Plus..after taking into considering hard and long I have decided to sell this on to fund the replacement iPhone for my partner. It is a decision that was very tough to make and its a shame that I have to let it go (and leave the P1 club :frowning2: ). I loved the sound and UI.. anyways I hope someone will get it off me so I can repay the funds to replace my partner's phone. The classified is as below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750518/cowon-plenue-1-limited-edition-crocodile-leather-dignis-case

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #974 of 2,974
I got my P1 yesterday and very happy with it. The sound signature sounds very close to my ZX1/PHA-3 combo so I can happily go back to using a single unit when I'm out and about. Both the PHA-3 and P1 share the same DAC but the P1 is slightly warmer sounding. I have played around a little with the EQ but preferring to keep it off as it sounds better to me. There is plenty of detail, tight bass, nice highs and a lovely warm sound. It's a lot warmer than my standalone ZX1. I'm using it with JH13 Pros.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #975 of 2,974
  I updated a few days ago and all seems to be running well. As I mentioned earlier the only problem I'm having is with the database. The tagging is presenting problems with the way the P1 indexes some of the files. Planning on contacting Cowen to report the issue and see what I should do to correct the problem. 

I've updated too and its fixed one of the problems I noticed in how artwork is displayed. Sometimes I added artwork which I later wanted to change. Perhaps because it was wrongly sized or simply did not look good. When I put the corrected files back on the Plenue it looked fine on the main view. BUT the matrix view did not refresh and still showed the old artwork. The upgrade to 1.26 has fixed this.

I'm really enjoying using this device!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back