Cowon Plenue P1
Nov 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #871 of 2,974
Nov 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #874 of 2,974
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon.609/COWONP1/Cowon_Plenue_1__P1__High_Resolution__World_s_Finest_DAC__128GB_Music_Player.14436.html

You get 5-10% discount with a code they give you.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #876 of 2,974
I'm not a professional and my english is not really good enough, but I will try my best to explain how's the P1 sound signature compare to AK240.

My initial thought about AK240 is the most special sound tuning DAP I ever heard compare to X5, DX90 and P1. The extreme huge and "special" sound stage is the most attractive when you listen. You feel the space, the echo, a little bit live-like sound signature, everything sound clean and clear as you will expect but still musical and keeps all the small details. It's sound pretty good. You might find another DAP contains these sound signature but so far I can't find any others that tuned like this sound stage but "crystallize sound". That's what I called "special".

I'm a basshead, that's how I feel about the AK240 and most of my songs are rocks and kpop. So just don't take too serious about my comments. Taste of everyone is different. Compare to X5, DX90 and P1(no EQ), the AK240 sound more exciting and musical with its special sound.

X5 sound balance with a little bit stronger bass punch than DX90. Yes, no matter how people say it's good at bass, for me, it's just a little bit more bass punch and mid-bass than DX90. Nothing speical and nothing motivate me.
DX90 sound clean and balance. That's it! Even I listen some slow and vocal songs, I just feel boring and cannot really find the sweetness of the female singer. Sound so natural. Nothing more, nothing less. Just................. boring. Sound stage is good but missing the vocal sweetness and crystallize echo sound stage like AK240.
P1 is boring too with no EQ. The wired thing is P1 using PCM1792 dac and I expect it sounds like the way of X5, but it actually soundw like a DX90. Not much bass present, natural and balance. 

I used IE80 mainly to test these devices. I know I know! D2 with IE80! You are wasting your money! But with its size, look and EQ DAP, I'm not going to get any hifiman. Never! But in these recent years, more good looking high-end DAP released and I know I need to give up the size(thickness). So I try to look into AK240, AK120II, P1, X5 and DX90.

I have a chance to use the SE846 to test the AK240. Surprisingly, the quantity of bass in AK240 is quite decent with the IE80 even more than X5. Actually the bass sound a bit lower frequency, and can feel a little bit punchier than X5. That's why I feel the X5 is nothing special and not really motivate me to buy that. But don't make it wrong, with its price, X5 is such a good DAP, but the AK240 just give me more excitement.

SE846 is a perfect match with AK240. I have tried the white, blue and black tube. The blue sounds the best. The white is the most clear, larger sound stage and a bit more airy but without any strong bass punch. I think most of the people like how the white tube sound. The black one is more mid bass, but everything just a bit more muddy. Compare the clearness of blue and white tube, black tube is just sound worst for me and wasted how the AK240 sound signature, the crystallize and special sound stage. The blue tube not just the middle of white and black tube, it present like 80% of the sound stage and clearness but also present 80% of the bass punch.

So which DAP will I choose? I will go for the P1. HAHA! That's only me. As I mentioned, I am a basshead and I like EQ. I get used to listen my D2 although it was old, cheap, muddy and all about EQs. For an high-end and expensive DAP, most people will strongly refused to buy any fancy things. But in my opinion, basically, the original AK240 is somewhat a EQed DAP. People just think it's good because of all EQ flat and think it is the original sound.

With the BBE EQ on P1, most people will think it is sound fake and unreal, but for me, the bass is huge more bouncing and much much stronger like you are standing in a pub playing some fast and bass heavy songs loudly with the 8 inch+ speakers slaming on your face every beat. Although the sound stage is not natural at all, it is huge, cold and black, but that's what I like. Every instruments sound a far distance and separate. Actually the sound signature makes me feel like AK240. Don't make it wrong, it just feeling. Not similar. There is far from natural and everything just EQed and sound a bit electronic. Strong deep bass, huge sound stage but still keep the clean and clear sound. Much much clear than the same setting on D2 and J3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Choices:
If you are basshead, cowon user or EQ player, P1 is the best for you. Nothing can beat its EQ technology. Without EQ, it is totally not worth the price, it sounds just like DX90. That's what I feel. Clean, natural, everything just right and boring. If you owned a J3 and play it with EQ especially the BBE and Mach3bass, P1 gives you everything like that but much more clear, deep bass and details. I'm not sure if it is worth the price, but having 6+years of the D2 and 2 years of J3, I feel it's worth the upgrade despite the used J2 in Hong Kong just cost less than USD$70. With the IE80 on J3 and D2, everything just muddy. You will not feel that if you currently own them. But if you tried the P1, no turning back. I tried to tune the EQ on AK240 to match its disco-like feeling but failed. Far far from the EQed P1. 

If you like the clearness, crystallize feeling and huge sound stage, AK240 is the best for you and stay out of P1. Nothing can beat its "special" sound signature. With the SE846 blue tube, the bass is just more than enough for normal people. It quite deep and strong enough. If you owned or satisfy the sound signature of X5 and DX90, AK240 just give you every advantage of both DAP but much better sound effect and details. Also the EQ on AK240 helps a bit but, just leave it alone. It sound already good.
One important thing about the AK240 is, you really need to change the cable on SE846. My friend used a copper cable that cost around USD$300. The sound stage is even larger and vocal is much more clear than the original one. I'm not sure about the silver ,but the copper one is pretty match the huge sound stage on AK240. You are not going to just invest the IEM and the DAP only, you really need to invest into the cable or change it to 2.5mm balanced plugin..... or maybe amp? I don't know. With the SE846, 40-45 volume level is loud enough for many people.

In my opinion, I quite miss the sound of clear and crystallize feeling from AK240 when I listen to P1, but when I listen to AK240, I miss the EQed and enhanced bass from P1. It's all about personal taste. But for normal people, I absolutely guarantee AK240 is much better. But I just like more about the disco-like feeling on P1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommend:
AK240.
Consider how the reputation on this device. Find a used one and you might still sell it back with 70% of the price after 2 years. I'm sure there is always a market for these kind of well-known device especially this unique sound tuning DAP. I can get a good status AK240 in Hong Kong around USD$1800-$1900. P1 is just............... hard to get and hard to try............. not many people buying that and not many people trying to want that. So far I just only found one person sell the P1 and the trade is already done but I can find plenty of AK240. Think about smart investment. This is also one of the issue you need to think especially you are paying that much. I'm just a special case. I just know what I really want. Disco bam bam!! The price in Hong Kong is $1150 now. Think about the good way, it still cheaper than the initial released price of AK120.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #884 of 2,974
I want to confirm a potential issue with the P1. Has anyone been able to charge the P1 while it's playing music? Either by connecting it to an external battery or a wall socket?

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #885 of 2,974
Yes it can

After a month using, there is something you have to know before you place your order
First, as you can see, you have to take out the cover to charge your device and the cover is linked with the rubber-band. You need to rotate it but not 90 degrees up and down
Just like that:

Some of you may noticed that the rubber band will be eventually broken and you are not able to fix that. Actually it's not that bad. My D2's broke after 7 years. But in my opinion, I don't really like that.

Second, if you are going to use the case that provided in P1, you are not able to use the connector like this:

You will not plug in the connector firmly because the thickness of the case -_-".
It's ok for me, because my IE80 is L-plug

Just for you reference guys~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back