Cowon Plenue P1
May 15, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #151 of 2,974
  I think that NATURAL not the right word to describe what i mean .... that is right .... what i meant that when i use BBE on my ipod touch ( before getting Fiio X3) after that i never used my ipod again 
bigsmile_face.gif
 i find that it produces less distortion than normal EQ apps and more lively sound .....

but of coarse a higher end piece of hardware ( DAC + amplification ) produces a better and more natural sound than any software effect 

No need to justify yourself. The BBE 'effect' or any effect is to give the music that little jolt or help if you like to make up for any inadequacies or short comings in the phone been used.

May 16, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #152 of 2,974
IMO for the cost of developing a sound effect or licensing the BBE stuff could instead be used for better hardware.

On the other hand I use the 3D effect and the Mach3 Bass on tbe D2+.

May 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #153 of 2,974
  BBE is  .....  the most natural software effect 

LOL

Natural? Nope. I can sit there with a Cowon player, and after a while, tinkering with all the BBE effects and EQ, I can get a slightly more pleasing sound than with everything disabled, but there is a very fine line between pleasing and, "What happened, this sounds weird now". I just recently traded away my last Cowon, and at this point, have no plans on ever getting another one. Without BBE, a Cowon is just another player with a crappy UI and more often than not a funky proprietary cable.

May 16, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #154 of 2,974
IMO for the cost of developing a sound effect or licensing the BBE stuff could instead be used for better hardware.

On the other hand I use the 3D effect and the Mach3 Bass on tbe D2+.

Mach3Bass, I do like that....but some of the other effects lumped in under the all-encompassing "BBE" name are just awful, IMO.

May 16, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #155 of 2,974
Mach3Bass, I do like that....but some of the other effects lumped in under the all-encompassing "BBE" name are just awful, IMO.

True. Just like tbe feature of the first Creative X-FI player. I think it was crystal audio or something like that. Although the player itself sounded good, with the feature turned on the music sounded a tad bit wrong or different. I did not like it.

Maybe it improved, with the next generations.

May 24, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #156 of 2,974
The BBE settings is one thing I would love to have on my ZX-1.

May I ask someone to explain me what exactly is BBE ? who made it !
Thanks

May 24, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #157 of 2,974
Thanks

I don´t want to be rude, but, come on, you are on Internet.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_etc/product_bbe.php

And, in Cowon players, BBE it´s many sound "improvements" that can be adjusted. You have the BBE (It basically makes the music a bit punchier, improving treble and bass), Mach3Bass (Bass boost between 20-80 hz approx) 3D Surround ( Useless ) and MP Enhance (A setting that you can activate or deactivate that it´s supposed to improve lossy files, it´s a slight boost on treble and bass as far as I can hear, but it´s good)

May 24, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #158 of 2,974
BBE is a collection of EQ presets done for cowon players, right?
Its used to add some flavours to the very flat and digital sound before you fall asleep.

May 25, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #159 of 2,974
BBE is a collection of EQ presets done for cowon players, right?
Its used to add some flavours to the very flat and digital sound before you fall asleep.

Well, it add some flavours but it´s not exactly a collecion of presets. Also, it´s not only EQ.
And, it´s a technology used in lots of digital devices, I even remember a really old Aiwa system that I had that used BBE enhancements.

May 25, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #160 of 2,974
Thanks

http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE%5FHDS/
All music that is amplified through a loudspeaker suffers some loss of fidelity - or subtle distortions - caused by the inherent characteristics of the loudspeaker itself. The BBE system addresses these problems by compensating for phase and amplitude distortions and, in effect, delivering the signal to the speaker in a form which allows it to reproduce the original live performance more fully and more faithfully.
To understand how BBE sound processing technology works, consider the characteristics of a loudspeaker and what we expect from one. Among a loudspeaker's most important requirements is the ability to reproduce transients - the brief high-energy bursts at the beginning of sounds. The transients then evolve into harmonics. It is the particular amplitudes and phase relationships of these transients and harmonics which add the unique color and character to each sound.
Varying either the amplitude or the phase of the transients and harmonics within signal causes distortion of the sound's characteristics. By drastically altering the transient response of a sound, it's possible to make a cymbal crash seem like a car crash. Similarly, altering amplitude or phase relationships of the harmonics in a clarinet's tone can make it sound more like a flute, or a French horn like an oboe.
A loudspeaker's transient response is typically expressed in terms of amplitude response (how quickly it reacts to an incoming signal), with little or no regard to phase response (whether high and low frequencies are reproduced at the proper time). The ability to accurately represent a sound's phase and amplitude define the quality of a loudspeaker's transient and steady - state, or sustained, response.
If a loudspeaker's amplitude response curve were linear, then the relationship between the high and low frequencies would be correct. And if a loudspeaker's phase response curve were linear, then the low and high frequencies would reach the listener's ears in their correct time order. This would result in faithful reproduction of the sound. However, this isn't normally the case.
When we listen to live music, all of the highs and lows reach our ears in the same relationship to each other as when they were created by the instruments. If this same live music were to be recorded and played back through a loudspeaker system, the loudspeaker would introduce frequency-dependent phase shifting. The inductance of the speaker's voice coil creates a stronger impedance as the signal's frequency increases, resulting in a time delay. Consequently, frequency components with large negative phase shifts (high frequencies) arrive at the listener's ear later than signals undergoing small phase shifts (low frequencies). The resultant signal is distorted in the time domain to the listener's ear. Audio material containing sharp transients (e.g., percussive and plucked sounds such as drums, guitar, piano and harpsichord, etc.) suffers the most from this phenomenon, making it seem unfocused, or mushy.
In order to address these problems inherent in basic loudspeaker design, BBE Sound, Inc. has developed a circuit that has two primary functions. The first adjusts the phase relationships of the low, mid and high frequencies. Since a loudspeaker's natural tendency is to add progressively longer delay times to higher frequencies, the BBE sound processing system adds progressively longer delay times to lower frequencies. This creates a kind of "mirror" curve to the time delay curve created by the speaker, neutralizing its phase distortion.
The second major element in the BBE system is the augmentation of the higher and lower frequencies. Loudspeakers tend to be less efficient in their extreme treble and bass ranges. Most sound-reproducing systems include a circuit for boosting high and low frequencies, showing an accepted awareness of the loudspeaker's efficiency problem. The BBE system, however, provides a dynamic, program-driven augmentation which combines with the phase compensation feature to restore the brilliance and clarity of the original live sound. The result is, as one professional journal phrased it, "The most hearable advance in audio technology since high fidelity itself!"

Available on Cowon players.

May 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #165 of 2,974
Some shops in China (taobao.com) are accepting pre-orders now. One of them told me the release date is sometime in June and it's gonna cost a bit more than the AK120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back